Sponsored by:

SS Backbox/mid section - how low??

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2001, 10:49 AM
Darren P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Having had my MY98 STI 4 for two months (and been registered with Scoobynet for just as long, but not posted until now - I'm shy, alright!! ), I think the time has now come for some mods.

Along with the upcoming 30,000 mile service, I am going to get Pete Croney and the guys to fit their quite lovely SS backbox and mid-section.

My question is: as I live on a road with some quite severe speedbumps, and it is a medium-to-large kerb up into my drive, will I knock the thing straight off again the first time I drive home?? My car is fine with the standard STI 4 exhaust, and does not scrape at all, but does anybody know how much lower (if at all) the SS system is??

Thanks.

Darren

P.S. Thanks also for being a constant source of knowledge and amusement over the past couple of months - this has to be the friendliest BB I have ever read!!
Old 30 January 2001, 11:30 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Take it easy over the sped bumps and you'll be fine!!!

With my old car (MY97 UK), I had Prodrive suspension, 17" alloys, ScoobySport backbox, and about 30k miles on it. The backbox use to scrap, unless I was doing about 5-10mph over the bumps!! Bear in mind that I also had a huge amount of stereo in the boot (MDF build, 2*10" subs, 2*4-channel amps, etc)

Since then I have a MY99 UK car with standard suspension, and the ScoobySport backbox, and there is no scraping, even at 25-30mph. Obviously I can't try any faster, as that would be breaking the speed limit!!!

I think you will be fine, just don't imitating our rally heroes by leaping off the bumps!!!

Andy