Sponsored by:

STi from perspective of a P1'er

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2002, 06:54 PM
z80
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Test drove the STi VII UK in Prodrive guise.

Very nice. Very solid. Handles nicely. Like the gold wheels too. Very handsome beast.

Not a patch, performance wise on my P1 though.

HOWEVER, the PPP for the STi is due out in August I'm reliably told. This is due to promote 305 horses and still be fully catted up & street legal. Wonder what a full de-cat would release.

When PPP is available I'll buy. Till then I'm waiting.

Simon
Old 16 February 2002, 07:05 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Question

WASN'T FROM TILEYS WAS IT? I WAS TAKEN OUT IN THEIR STI TYPE UK ON THURS. I AGREE NOT A PATCH ON MY P1! BRAKES WERE GOOD THO! BUT STILL PREFER THE OLD SHAPE CARS.
Old 16 February 2002, 07:30 PM
z80
Scooby Regular

Pickle,

Yes it was from Tiley's. Nice bunch there. They didn't know about the PPP for it though & I found that out elsewhere.

I've had the P1 for 11 months now & still adore it.

Regards,

Simon

Old 16 February 2002, 07:39 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

I've found the P1 absolutely fantastic. Love driving it - and any excuse to as well. Find myself more and more out of the office nowadays.

Also, found immense difference on fuels as well. Not always easy to get SUL, so 2nd choice is Optimax, least fav is UL.

Must say that P1 on rocket fuel SUL is totally awesome. Only had my P1 2 months and best thing I've ever done when it comes to car purchases.....
Old 17 February 2002, 09:40 AM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

Told by Sring Park yesterday that Prodrive want and expect PPP to be available by April - Just FYI
Old 17 February 2002, 11:58 AM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Previous posts STATE that the PPP for the VII is 1500 quid and cosmetic only, spoiler etc. Can someone clarify?

I 'believe' that decatting the VII without a PPP still takes it to 300 due to it having 3 cats for company car emission tax purposes.
Old 17 February 2002, 12:38 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

i picked up a brochure for the sti yesterday, noticed the weight of the car, far heavier then my p1, the sti has 200 bhp per ton, standard p1 240, p1 with scoobysport exhaust 260
mark
Old 17 February 2002, 01:52 PM
z80
Scooby Regular

P1 Enthusiast,

As i'm reliably informed, the Prodrive Performance Pack is to be available for the STi VII UK and is not to be confused with the Prodrive costume jewellery (though that does look rather splendid too, eh?).

I've been told a demonstrator with the PPP is to be available in July/August time. We're talking about 300+bhp here & as mentioned before it's squeaky clean legal wise. With a full de-cat as well who only knows what it'll deliver.

Maybe others know more about its impending release.

Simon

Old 17 February 2002, 02:55 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Just come back from doing some back to back driving in the P1 and UK STI.

Performance wise seemed pretty equal to me. Add on the PPP and time both cars, and I'm sure the STI will be quicker. Performance tests so far have the STI one second slower to 100 than the P1, but quicker between 30-70.

To my mind thats pretty equal on the road. Add another 35bhp for the PPP and I wouldnt try following the STI in a P1.

Found the STI to be a little bit more laggy than the P1, but experienced the same pick up/push in the back when it came on boost.

Obviously the STI was a better handling car, and that front diff really is the dogs knackers.

Looks wise with both on the forecourt, the STI looks better as well. Goes without saying IMHO that the STI is a more complete package with untapped potential.

Jonathan
Old 17 February 2002, 03:07 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Nice one chins thats sealed it for me then. Im getting one now. :-)

cheers,
scrappy
Old 17 February 2002, 04:40 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Chins,

No disrespect but the driver will affect any 'race' between any car more than any PPP. An STI vs P1 vs Evo is entirely driver dependent, will ppl stop writing 'i wouldn't try following or keeping up with X'. Its rubbish since even bikes get owned by competent drivers in high performance cars.

Also, i disagree even with THOUSANDS spent on it to enhances its looks the new shape still does not look better than a P1. For heaven's sake when will anyone admit the expenditure required to make the new shape even look passable in comparison to the old shape!

I reckon the new engine is probably the best they have made tho from what i have seen, your call whether its worth 10k more to you for 30k's worth of new STI with PPP versus a 20k-ish P1.

Personally i am very happy with my 22k P1 with Alcon brakes (better than Brembo's) and shall be savouring my 10 grand on exotic holidays!

However, look me up in 2 years when i may buy your STI with PPP off you for a trifling of the 30k you paid *evil grin*
Old 17 February 2002, 05:00 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'm not writing about having a race between two car, maybe what I should write is that IMHO I would be quicker in the UK STI rather than a P1. There is no driver inequality as I am the driver of both cars.

My dealer has a P1 on the forecourt for £29,995 with no extras.

IMHO the STI is the equal of the P1 even without the PPP. A second hand P1 is only £5k cheaper. For some that even raising £22k takes everything they have got, then the P1 is still a good purchase. I personally would pay the money and have a brand new car. Its never how much a car costs, but how much it loses. No one knows how well the STI will hold onto its value. Judging by demand it wont do badly.

Looks are always personal, but I would prefer the car that looks like the current Championship Winning WRC car. With both a P1 and STI on the forecourt, the punters were not paying much attention to the P1.

Ive said it probably a hundred times on here. I loved my time in the P1, and today it was fun having another go. But it only served to show how things have moved on.

Jonathan

[Edited by Chins - 2/17/2002 5:03:05 PM]
Old 17 February 2002, 05:23 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'm with Jonthan on this one - I have just driven an Sti V with 350bhp, back to back with the UK STi VII with it's measly 261bhp.

IMHO, and I have done nearly 40k miles in the Sti V, inlcuding track days, that the Sti VII would blow a P1 into the weeds on a tough road with the same driver. It wouldn't take much more power to get it to match my own Sti V that I am very familiar with and in a straight line is much quicker than the StiVII UK.

As I have said elsewhere, if there is truth in the 305bhp Sti VII then it will replace one of my cars, it will be fantastic - it is such brilliant chassis - sorry mate but it is light years ahead of the old Sti or the P1 - doesn't matter who's driving it.

Trout
Old 17 February 2002, 08:33 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm afraid I can only echo the comments of Chins & Trout on this one. Having owned a '00 UK Turbo, P1 and now the '01 WRX, the STi VII is a far superior car to all the above (including Trout's rickety old STI V even though it is a road rocket ).

Rgds, Alex
Old 17 February 2002, 09:12 PM
Joseph
Scooby Regular

Having been the owner of an STIV and now an STIVII I too will concur that the new one will blow away the old on real roads.

If ones interested in just straight line performance then a 4WD car is not the ansewr and someone is missing the point.

My STI5 Type R was as fast in a straight line as my 320bhp STI7, but put the power down differently and as for bends, well, the seven can keep accelerating round them where the 5 would have to slow down.

As far as looks, I have never had so many admirers of a car people love the look, sound and colour. It's not until you stand them side by side you notice just how old the 7 makes the 5 and 6 look.
J.