Sponsored by:

What gains can I expect ?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2008, 08:39 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gains can I expect ?

I'm trying to decide on a list of upgrades that I plan to fit while i'm off work for 2 weeks over christmas. My car already has a good spec list but doesn't quite perform how I planned it to when I rebuilt it. The main problem is the boost drops from 1.5 bar down to only 1.2 bar above 6k rpm,this produced 350bhp and 330lb/ft at Zen Performance.

I already have a Hybrid GT FMIC but it is old so I have bought a new Hybrid RS kit from Harvey which is also slightly bigger than the GT.

I currently have Zen 550cc injectors,i'm planning on replacing these with some 740cc's.

I'm going to get an uprated actuator from Turbo Dynamics for my Andy Forrest 20G to try and hold at least 1.5 bar all the way up.

I have just got a Zero sports cool thermostat and i'm planning on fitting an alloy radiator from Japspeed to keep the temps as low as possible.

The one thing I can't decide on is whether to convert to front entry or not. When fitting the new engine I fitted Carl Davey inlet manifold spacers to give clearance for the inlet pipe but changed my mind when I was told that I needed to fit a later power steering pipe to allow more room for the inlet pipe.

So,is it worth converting to front entry rather than 90 degree inlet ? What sort of gains can be had by doing this ?

400bhp would be nice but i'd be happy with 380bhp ish and a good torque figure
Old 28 November 2008, 10:39 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

340 nice spec you,ve got there
not sure that 1.5 bar will give those numbers mate. i do think that at this level that exhaust and induction mods make all the odds. what exhaust are you running?
Old 28 November 2008, 10:49 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madwrx
340 nice spec you,ve got there
not sure that 1.5 bar will give those numbers mate. i do think that at this level that exhaust and induction mods make all the odds. what exhaust are you running?
Cheers mate

I would be looking to run at least 1.5 bar but ideally about 1.6-1.7 I'm running an Sti ra closed deck block engine,I think 1.8 is about the max that this engine can take safely.

I've got Ceramic coated GT spec Gen II headers and up-pipe with full Hayward & Scott system.

The induction side of things is something that i'm really not sure about at the moment. I'm using a custom made 90 degree inlet with a K&N 57i induction kit,not sure what gains I could get by switching to front entry and using a bigger filter ?