Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove the UK STI and not ordered it !!

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2002, 06:41 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

At last my dealer got their STI demo so today I got the chance to take it for a drive. I went there hoping I was going to love it, and order one there and then. Credit card has stayed in the wallet so far.

Having owned a UK300 PPP, I was expecting great things in the handling stakes, but to my inexperienced talents, I found the ride a lot harsher than the UK300. Now I thought my M3 on 19" was poor, but this was the equal on 17"s. My original thought was to put 18" on the STI, but now I'd certainly think twice. Yes the trade off was far less body roll and that front diff certainly hauls you round corners.

The gear box was nice, but hardly the best 6 speed in the world. Didnt feel the car was too laggy, but it was hard to comment on performace as the car was being run in and I was reasonably sympathetic.

Driving the car seemed to lack a sense of ocassion, and it seemed to blur into just another Impreza.

Am I being unfair, as I really really wanted to fall in love, chop the M3 in and get one. At the moment the test drive made me appreciate my M3 more, which is anoying as I need to flog it due to a house move. What now !!

Jonathan

[Edited by Chins - 2/15/2002 6:52:18 PM]
Old 15 February 2002, 06:56 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

just order it
Old 15 February 2002, 07:07 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

I test drove one today too

I've gotta say it was leagues ahead of the MY01 I tried last year.
It seemed to need for me to be in the right gear all the time, whereas my MY00 with PPP I can lazy and use almost any gear I like.

The interior was very impressive(for a scoob) and the driving position spot on.

Performance wise i'd say it was on a par with my car(although I was being good).

The ride was harsher than the MY01 but less so than my MK01. The car was quieter too.

The 6 speed box was sweet, although tight(it'd only done a 100 miles). I kept forgetting to put it in 6th on the motorway

Handling was spot on, although the car did feel more skittish, but also had more grip if that makes sense. The back seemed to swing out and stay there!

Brakes were good, although I still think my AP 6pots had the edge.

Driving my car back, I must say I did'nt miss the STi as much as I thought. But saying that I think i've found my next car!

If the dealer comes up with a good trade in and offer I may well go for it. If they don't then I can face another year or two with my current car.

I do know what you mean re: sense of occasion. But then it's an Impreza. It goes fast in a straight line, fast around the bendsand looks weird, so I'm not sure what else to expect from the car.
Old 15 February 2002, 07:11 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Talking

chins
you normally do write ups like this AFTER youve bought it
cheers for the mag mate, much appreciated! it made her day!

have you tried an r34?
drives a bit like a beemer...but with turbo ooomph. and when you get bored you can mod it.
or go back to the s3 for a while? fella selling a modded one in the for sale section.you always liked the s3.
Old 15 February 2002, 09:25 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Chins

Thanks for the write up. I'm playing with the idea of ordering an STi7. I have had my MY01 for just under a year and have been very pleased with it. Yes I know it's a bit lardy and grown up now but it is still a quick car compared to the average car on th road price/performance ratio is quite good as well.

However a lot of new cars coming out have closed the gap.

After reading the write up on the Sti7 in EVO I'm very intrested. My car is in for a service on monday so I will be having a chat to see what deal I can get. Just for research you understand.

One thing to bear in mind is that my car was getting faster all the way to 9k. I'm not sure about beamers, but in scoobys it seems to take a bit longer for them to ripen.
Old 15 February 2002, 09:28 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I'm still confused by the Evo review. When they tested the STi7 (Jap version) they weren't that impressed. Now they've tested the UK version and they're over the moon, particularly with the handling and brakes. AFAIK the suspension and brakes are the same on both, the only difference is the tuning state of the engine (prob. got more cats on the UK one).
Old 15 February 2002, 09:29 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Question

Jonathan

I still have'nt managed to drive one yet

Is it as fast as mine?

scott
Old 15 February 2002, 09:51 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Question

Do you think your expectations were based on what the M3 is or what the UK300 was mate?

Worth driving a '01 WRX before hand maybe? Just a thought.

Alex
Old 15 February 2002, 09:54 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Spudgun

Glad you like the mag. None of the pages stuck together . Good looking guy driving an STI in a couple of shots , and I dont mean Barker.

Scott

STI would eat you alive

Keep mulling over the drive. I guess I expected the compliance of the UK300, with a bit less roll and understeer. With the fact the car is only on 17" and the UK300 18" i didnt expect as hard ride. I know there is always a trade off in this area, but on some of the roughish roads here in Bucks, the UK300 was the fastest car Ive owned.

Keep thinking what the car would be like with Prodrive Springs, 18" wheels and a PPP or decat. That front diff pulling me round the roundabout was impressive though. Plus it needs a better stereo. Damn, more costs.

Jonathan
Old 15 February 2002, 09:59 PM
Great~taste~Bloke
Scooby Regular

PPP is easier to drive without a full commitment than any sti. Any sti delivers more than a uk car when pushed hard. Simple! Both great- just match the right car to the right person!
Old 15 February 2002, 09:59 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Alex

Your probably right. I should of turned up in a P1, and then I would of ordered straight away .

Maybe need to take the Vectra loan car we have at home, and then have another go

But EVO says the STI is better than the M3, so shouldnt my expectations be high ?

Jonathan
Old 15 February 2002, 10:18 PM
zilch
Scooby Regular

Chins

I have a test drive on saturday in the new STI, at a bad time (the rugby is on), is it really worth the extra money, or do you believe I should just stick with the package I already have (UK300, PPP).

If it is worth the investment, i would rather watch the egg chasing and not have to worry about what I already suspect about the
sti package, in particular about the cr@p trade in thats being offered

cheers

Jim
Old 15 February 2002, 10:49 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Chins,

At the end of the day mate, its only better, if it suits you (sir) more... But seriously, drive '01 WRX prior, it might recalibrate your views.. And although some car mag thinks it better than the M3, I wouldn't say its comparable.. I haven't driven the latest M3 evolution, did drive the last one.. so can't comment..

I drove my '01 WRX prior to the test drive (18", Prodrive Springs, strut brace, TSL geo etc..) and still want an STi very much!

End of the day, each of us have different wants from a car, i'd suggest driving an '01 WRX then the '02 STi, may help...

Interesting to read you thoughts though mate, I wouldn't mind a trip in your M3

Rgds,
Alex
Old 15 February 2002, 11:35 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Zilch

I'd read what Alex says. His WRX is pretty close to yours yet he still wants one. Depends on if you suffer the same motoring medical condition as me !!. If not your better off waiting a year for the next evolution of the STI (and I dont mean facelift). Your UK300 depreciation should be a bit more undercontrol. The STI is a better car, but not enough of a gap to spend too much money on.

Let Makinen win the world title. Mak edition May next year, STI PPP, Different Body Kit, 18" wheels and PPP.

Alex

Whilst the M3 and the UK STI are not in the same price bracket, they are bought by the same target audience in a number of cases. GSTI came from an RS4 to the UK STI for ex.

Cheers

Jonathan
Old 16 February 2002, 01:06 AM
Joseph
Scooby Regular

Why don't you all shut up and stop justifying your standard WRX's.

My STI 7 is the best balanced and predictable package I have ever driven and would drive ring round all you cars, even in uk spec it's a quicker car. Mine is an import and round the Donnington in the wet, very wet, was quicker than some very quick competitors.

If you are test driving a car withonly 1000 miles on the clock I would presume that the bloke in front with the red flag would be hard to overtake.
I bet you didn't even get within 50% of it's ability but that would equate to 80% of you current Scoob.

As for you Scott. With the amount of money you have spent on yours
It should be effing quick.

I have done less to my STI7 and it would eat yours for breakfast, Taking into account that they are driven by similarly skilled drivers.

Purely cos it's a better package from the box.
You'll know mine when you see it cos it's got a very fancy rear wing on it, similar to yours.

Lets stop pretending we are all Arton Senna or Michael Chewbacker,
we're not.
J.
Old 16 February 2002, 02:40 AM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

intresting thread, apart from the constructive coment from the prat joseph
steve
Old 16 February 2002, 02:47 AM
Joseph
Scooby Regular

The word is PRATT. Einstein
J.
Old 16 February 2002, 02:49 AM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

thanks pratt it is then
Old 16 February 2002, 04:22 AM
Joseph
Scooby Regular

****!
Old 16 February 2002, 08:57 AM
NBW
Scooby Regular

STi7 261bhp/1470kg = 177bhp/tonne

Old style 215bhp/1235kg = 174bhp/tonne

Old style plus full decat ~250bhp = ~200bhp/tonne

OK, I agree the diff, brakes and suspension are probably worthwhile, but can't help thinking that a WRX import plus 4-5K spent at Scoobysport, TSL et al would make a great buy, tuned to exactly the individuals' taste.

Tim
<Flame suit on>
Old 16 February 2002, 09:49 AM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

You've got to remember that Subaru has just given EVO mag. a large amount of cash for the advert in the centre pages.Its got to affect the write up.
Subaru has got very deep pockets.
Old 16 February 2002, 10:04 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

I dunno about that.

I was impressed by the STI, significantly more so than the standard MY01 WRX. Power to weight can be deceptive as it does'nt take gearing, grip, driver ability or power curve into account.

I would say the Sti is about as quick as a old model with a PPP(confirming my theory I had ages ago )

I'd be interested in driving one with a few 1000 miles on the clock though.
Old 16 February 2002, 01:44 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Last night(very late)i had the chance of racing the older type m3 in my standard MY01 wrx, and god they are quick. 1st 2nd and 3rd, nothing in it, then as soon as he is midrange in 3rd he goes flying past me quicker than any car ive ever seen. Within 3-4 secs he has overtaken me, and gutted me aswel. Im thinking about chucking my car now for an older type m3 or the new sti. What do you all think about the straight line performance of the sti, would it keep up with the older m3? These things are seriously fast. Thing is my car was able to get round a roundabout way quicker that the BM so im more inclined to stick with the subaru mark then modd it up if needs be (Sti). Is it for definate that the sti PPP is coming out? Surely that would put it on a par with the BMW, both new and old.

Scrappy
Old 16 February 2002, 02:31 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Red face

Joseph

It was a good job i spoke to you today because that reply sounds like' fighting talk' to me

Scott
P.S, remember that i was comparing to a UK sti and not the 320+bhp Warrender one that you have. I should hope that your's is quicker
Old 16 February 2002, 04:58 PM
Joseph
Scooby Regular

Yes but when you start to do similar stuff to an STI it will give you back more power still.
It's also got vvt.
J
Old 16 February 2002, 05:12 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Question

Dealer just got back to me with some figures
+60 quid a month to buy an Sti
+90 quid a month to pay off my current car over the next 2 years.

Hmmmm

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Old 16 February 2002, 06:20 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Question

Joseph,
Considering that i have only exhaust work and an induction kit it would be interesting to see the power curve for an STI with the same mods I don't think that it will be much over 300bhp if of course it gets over 300

Scott
Old 16 February 2002, 07:27 PM
Davej_Smith
Scooby Regular

I have driven an import STI 7 and compared to my standard UK MY00 it is loads faster and the brake are a massive improvement, I expect the UK Sti to perform similar.

Joseph: I'm very close to buying an import STi 7, are you concerned that the Uk Sti 7 will affect used import prices ?
Old 17 February 2002, 02:40 AM
JKJ2
Scooby Regular

UK STI, absolutely tremendous, Chins, were you driving the same car?
What are you used to ?
Old 17 February 2002, 07:58 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

JKJ2

I'm sure it was a UKSTI. In recent times Ive had a RB5WR, P1 & UK300 PPP to compare it to. Driving a new shape M3 at the moment as a comparision.

Not saying its not a great car, and certainly as good as the P1, but expected a better ride from the car when compared to the UK300.

Might have to go back and try again

Jonathan

[Edited by Chins - 2/17/2002 8:01:21 AM]

Quick Reply: Test Drove the UK STI and not ordered it !!