Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any help please?

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2002, 02:45 PM
STI v7 UK
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right firstly i would like to say hello my name is David. I'm 26 and have just bought a vr7 STI. Its is my dream car (bar 22b) however i have very limited knowledge of scoobies and would like to know what to look out for if anything also what is there in the way of tuning and in what order do you advise.........i know a exhaust system can realise some vital bhp but who makes the best one???? blitz / hks / scoobysport / prodrive. Also what induction kits and uprated dump valves are best as when i had my last car (210 bhp seat cupra turbo) a lot of tuners talk some crap. One last thing what are the brembos like do the pads and discs need upgrading as i had AP's 4 pots on my last car wihich were awesome.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance
Old 15 February 2002, 05:07 PM
STI v7 UK
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

37 views and no-one can be bothered to reply........What is the point in a forum for help and advice if no-one helps!!!!!!
Old 15 February 2002, 05:30 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

Welcome to Scoobynet

Firstly, I can't offer you much advice I'm afraid as I haven't personally tested the upgrades you've listed (except for a Scooby Sport back box on my MY00 - which is great sound wise, but doesn't IMHO have a major impact on performance on it's own. Presumably it would with induction kit, downpipe and centre section.)

Secondly, this is a great board for advice.
Maybe a little more patience is required.
Also if you break your questions up into bitesize chucks and post them in the various relevant tech, forums you might get a better response.

Not having a go (honest) but you seen a bit annoyed at not getting a reply - just trying to help.

Enjoy your car whatever you do....

Rich
Old 15 February 2002, 05:37 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mate...get aquainted with the car first..then start to see which area needs attention. A bov is for sounds only, and the atmo ones have been known to cause odd fuelling problems.

Exhausts....well any decatted one will give some gains (nowhere near what most of them claim though), get the one with the tailpipe U like best.

A top tip would be to go to some meets, and look at what others have done.

/J

P.S. Your Brembos are as good as it gets mate (they're on par with the AP stuff), bar the carbon stuff...Pagid Blue pads rule if U need to change something....oh...it doesn't hurt to be a tad laidback either...
Old 15 February 2002, 05:43 PM
STI v7 UK
Scooby Newbie

wasn't having a go and sorry if it sounded like that just a bit over excited at my new car........Also reading the tech spec on the sti there does not seem to be any traction control......has any fitted racelogic traction control to there as this is the only thing i am keeping off my current car.

David
Old 15 February 2002, 05:44 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Traction control? On a fulltime AWD car?
You must be kidding....how much power are you aiming for anyway?

Even a full bore launch with your car won't du much more than chirp the tires on the dry stuff.

/J
Old 15 February 2002, 10:36 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

David,
e-mail me for details
STi 7 330bhp

Grant
Old 18 February 2002, 08:29 PM
rogue trooper
Scooby Regular

being a newbie myself i cant offer much in the way of advise at all im afraid, other than to say... listen to what is being said as 99.99 per cent of people here really do try to help!
Old 18 February 2002, 08:59 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

You DONT NEED TRACTION CONTROL ON A SUBARU ALL WHEEL DRIVE system
Have you driven it in the wet yet ? Unless you are planning on 500 bhp
Old 18 February 2002, 09:29 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Traction control is for pussies!
First of all, you have to think of some implications about modifying your car, the first being that if its a uk sourced car then you may invalidate your warranty if you chip it (but there should be a PPP out for it soon ) and this should include a chip, uprated intercooler piping and an exhaust minimum.
Learn to drive your scoob!!
its going to be a little different than your seat, the handling is different to start with and when you push the car around the corner you should feel those diffs doing their job still its not wise to get into the habbit of braking round corners when pushing your car as the rear may still step out (and if you loose it your going to do lots of damage!)
Read the small print in your service manual! there is a part about timed events etc, ie subaru will invalidate your warranty if you do this and cause wear and tear to parts (even though i know of no cases).
Run her in gently, build it up gradually!
We all want to rag the *** off our cars from new but you dont have to to start with as subaru's have tight engines up to the mid to late thousands (ie before 10k) so dont be unhappy if the car aint giving you all the performance your after at first.
Security.... the biggie! as much as possible! the more the better! be seen be safe etc etc etc, these cars will be on the hit list of hijackers etc, the more you can do to protect yourself and your car the better.
The std car!
well its well equipped to start with, 335mm discs on the front and 300ish on the back, EDB, ABS etc so you wont really need to change those to anything unless you take your car on the track (then invalidate your warrenty if your caught etc) but its a chance you take and as i have said before, i dont know of any cases where anyone has been refused replacement parts due to this.
Lastly, enjoy your scoob also make sure you run your car up and run her down due to the turbo! after a few k on the clock go get some fully synth put in there! better for the engine (shell do the 10w40 fully synth)
Have fun!

Tony