Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looked at an STI - Engine Hesitant. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2008, 05:25 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looked at an STI - Engine Hesitant. Advice?

Hi,

Just been to look at and drive my first WRX STI as i have posted about previous.

The car i went to see was a R 98 WRX STI 120k Km on the clock.

The engine was hesitant to start, and between 0 to 1000 RPM it almost stalls itself when given a rev. CHeck engine light was on also. On the test drive it would stutter around 2.5krpm. However after about 5 min it got alot better.

I have walked away from this car, however i am curious to what you guys think this cars problem could have been.

It was imported 5 years ago, looks tidy, drivers seat and steering wheel n gearknob worn. Seems completly standard apart from grooved disks and red stuff pads. All electrics worked, wing mirrors, windows lights etc. Engine looked honestly dirty. Some signs of oil leak at the bottom left (As you look at it) on the top of the engine.

There seemed to be 2 brake fluid reservoirs? the MBC reservoir and one to the right, which was brimmed over the max level. Sign of possible brake flid leak, i.e. top it up beyond max)

Steering felt great and so did the brakes. New tyres alround so no sign of uneven ware. However accellerated and braked in a straight line. Panel gaps were fine, no sign i could tell of any impact on the car.

Was advertised for £3750 with 12 month parts and labour warrenty. How is this priced? what would be good to pay cash?

I also looked at a fresh import, not yet registered. The engine seems much cleaner, smoother and well maintained. This car had turbo timer, new gearknob steering wheel, boost gauge fake carbon trim and a couple of bits in the engine. Radiator looked new and, bolts on what looks like a chassic beam looked to have been undone recently (possibly frontal impact?). Wear on inside of both front wheels, seems to have adjusted camber.

Is it essential to get imports undersealed? What areas under the car should i be paying attention too? If i were to buy i would go back and give it a much more thorough going over.

Very much looking forward to all your feedback on this. Im not going to rush into anything. Still very much trying to feel the market and get a clue on the STI's so i get the best possible deal.

Cheers
CHris
Old 08 November 2008, 05:44 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

One More notice.

As i lifted off the engine braking was very violent.
Old 08 November 2008, 05:53 PM
30psi
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm seems fishy....i have a mint sti version 3 with 55k on the clock converted to mph, with all import docs an service history. excellent condition.

if ur interestd then do contact me
Old 08 November 2008, 06:09 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt touch it.

theres plenty of good genuine STI's out there at really good prices right now.
Old 08 November 2008, 06:46 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Advice: Walk away.

Plenty more out there and this is a buyers market.

Mac
Old 08 November 2008, 07:44 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

might be something as simple as a fubar'd MAF......
then again
Old 08 November 2008, 07:56 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

could the low revs probs be a lightened flywheel

Trending Topics

Old 09 November 2008, 04:54 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

so noone exprianced the problem this one had? Jut curious if i see any others with similar problm.
Old 10 November 2008, 03:32 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

two brake fluid reservoirs. One for clutch and one for brakes
Old 10 November 2008, 09:22 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

Prob a MAF. Don't understand why they'd sell an obviously ill car with a warranty though.
Old 10 November 2008, 02:12 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Well tbh the car looks like it hadn't moved in a while. which the guy said was true.

It would be fixed if it was to be bought, he wasnt aware of the problem untill i pointed it out, he suggests a test drive might loosen it up, and as i had not driven one before he said id like it.

Took it out, when it worked it was rapid. However it was roughly every 3k rpm it lifted off when i didnt or felt like that.

There was a sliver one which seems really mint, sounded great. But i want a white one damnit so gonna hold out.

So what is this MAF sensor? Common fault? Sign of lack of care taken? Simple fix? The car apart from that was really quite mint, if its an easy fix i might take a further test drive of the mint silver one and this white one with a fixed MAF and see what the score is.

There is another near Fulham available, however it seems to be the v3 not 4 (judged on steering wheel) is a year older, more miles, and has a gash boost gauge Glued(!) to the steering column.... It is much cheaper tho..
Old 10 November 2008, 02:12 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
two brake fluid reservoirs. One for clutch and one for brakes
of course! doh!
Old 12 November 2008, 12:58 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

There's a load of decent looking ones on here for that money. A bit more gets you a 2door. It's worth travelling the length of the country for the right car imho.
Old 12 November 2008, 04:43 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Yeah im keeping my eye out.

I quite like the 4 door and even considered a wagon. I cant justify the extra cash for 2 less doors.

Yeah there are a few on here, going to look at one on saturday. Im sticking for a white one, or an exceptional deal on another colour. Aiming for v4 but probably end up with a v3 and some change.
Old 12 November 2008, 04:44 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'd guess knackered MAF as well.
Old 13 November 2008, 09:23 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor, measures the volume of air going into the engine, ECU then adjusts the amount of fuel being injected accordingly. MAFs can and do fail, especially on classic models. The consequences of not replacing a mal-functioning MAF can be quite dire, det and then engine expiry. On the classics the cost of a replacement MAF cartridge was about £80 from memory, takes about 5 minutes to fit. If you feel mid-range engine hesitation it may be due to a faulty MAF sensor.
Old 13 November 2008, 10:52 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

If it is a MAF, and you've been asked to give it a blast out ......well, you might want to think twice.

A fubar'd maf CAN result in a knackered engine There is a reason why the "check engine" light comes on. The air flow meter determines how much air mixture (or something like that!)...... if it's faulty, well bad things can happen. A blown #3 piston usually.

Does it stall (or nearly) on tickover?

it is only £80 to fix, but depending on the other test pilots, well..... it will also drive like a bag of **** - almost goes into "limp" mode.

I know as my MY99 had this problem after a dodgy service mechanic messed up the airfilter change (dirtied up the MAF).......

Didn't hear to much about it on the MY98 (piston slap was the issue on those!!LOL!), but if it's a late MY98.......

Either way, it's the "dealer's" problem, not yours.
Hope this helps

Dan
Old 14 November 2008, 10:52 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There dirt cheap at the moment STIs, especially for what they are:

Subaru Impreza STI V3 97 Genuine 300BHP No Reserve on eBay, also, Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 05-Oct-08 21:06:10 BST)

I actually sold it for £250 more than on ebay as the winner had to sell his car before he could afford it. It made 297bhp on the rollers a few days before I sold it.