Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jap Kit (Blitz, HKS, etc) - is it any good?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2001, 11:41 PM
SimonM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Something I have noticed over the past few months, is that the expensive Japanese kit from the likes of Blitz, HKS etc don't seem to be as good as the ones made in this country.

Recently, it has been revealed that the Blitz air filter filteration rates are extremely poor, and can often cause damage to the MAF, not to mention the possiblility of damage to the turbo.

A while ago, I read a post from Pete Croney, stating how he had fitted a full Scoobysport exhaust to a car that previously had a HKS item fitted, and the car was substantially improved, both on the dyno and on the road.

Then there are all the other products such as boost controllers that don't control fueling or ignition, and atmospheric BOVs that screw up air/fuel ratios.

I don't know about you, but seeing as these are Japanese cars, I would expect the Japanese tuners to be producing the best quality kit, where as from what I can see, they simply produce the best looking and most expensive.

Is it just that 'the japanese way' of tunning is different ours?

Or are they simply not bothered about reliability?

Or are they sold purley because of the brand name image? i.e. they are expensive, so they must be good. The same way people want to wear Calvin Klein jeans, Rockport shoes, Rolex watches etc etc

SimonM

Old 26 January 2001, 12:55 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simon,

IMHO, it's not the products that are the problem (some exceptions) but with the electrical products.....the people who are fitting them.

The Japanese know how to set them up correctly, and what to use, and when. Overe here, all the tuners want to do, is whack up the boost, or just don't have the experience to set the rest up (ask J/Firefox).

As for exhausts/down pipes, well some suit one model of car better than another, and it also depends on what characteristics suit you best. Shed loads of torque is is fine at 3k, if that's where you drive your car, but a waste of time on the track.

Mark.