Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide which angled exit exahust to get! Any pictures appreciated :-)

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2008, 01:36 AM
dale_b_type_r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help me decide which angled exit exahust to get! Any pictures appreciated :-)

Hi all,

Just bought a 1996 WRX Sti Wagon Version 3. Car is pretty much stock and looking for a angled exit exhaust system. So far I've come across the Afterburner Vortex from Scoobyworld, love the style and angled exit but not keen on the "burnt tip".

Is there anything else like that out there without a burnt tip, with a similar angled exit? Any pictures would be appreciated. So far I've found the Afterburner Vortex, Afterburner R (not sure on difference between the two), Apexi and Greddy. Would prefer a non JDM one to keep prices down. Is it possible to get rid of the burnt tip?

Lastly the ECU on 96-97 can't be fettled and we don't really want to spend money on engine management, would you advice fitting a cat-back only or going for the full system from turbo back? We also run a HKS filter that is all.

Many thanks in advance,

D
Old 27 October 2008, 08:20 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I would usually just say go for the Blitz Nur Spec-r (as it's an obsession with me ), but if it is angle your looking for, give jase a ring @ Scoobybits. I had one of their catback systems on before the Nur Spec-r and it was proper angled and a good price too.

Piccies...

(Nur Spec-r - angled but not much)

(and the Scoobybits system - it's predecessor)

Old 27 October 2008, 10:35 AM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

fire storm

Old 27 October 2008, 10:36 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

H&S 5" Angled Exit

Mine moved off its hinges and on a run to the NEC burnt a hole in the rear bumper. It also left me with ringing in my ears on a long run too. Didn't last very long.
Old 27 October 2008, 10:44 AM
dale_b_type_r
Scooby Regular

All of you have lovely Scoobies!

I must admit I do like the look of the Nur Spec you bugger it's more expensive than the others!

Scoobyworld have also been in touch and they can do the Vortex without the burnt tip which is good news, at the moment it looks like I will either go with a Vortex from turbo back or a Nur Spec back box with Vortex downpipe and centre pipe.

Boost where is the firestorm from?

This is the one on our old Wagon:

As you can see it's angled and it's also pointing upwards so you can see the back base of the box, this is the style I really like. Does anyone have any shots close to the ground and straigh on so I can see if any of them point upwards a little? I want a angled backbox but some of them are parellel with the car without pointing upwards if you see what I mean.

Cheers lads what would I do without you eh?!!

Thanks

D
Old 27 October 2008, 02:13 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

i got the firestorm off a mate.and it does angle up
Old 27 October 2008, 11:19 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

the afterburner vortex is made by H+S (hayward and scott) exclusivly for scoobyworld,
I also have the H+S 5" like eddscott, it has also been a right pain . moved over to the side melting the rear bumper I've also had to replace the stainless steel tie 3 times on the inner cv boot because it rubs on it,breaking it clean off,i've had to use extra bungies and ss ties to force it to the right and look under every couple of weeks to make sure it hasnt happened again,also the point of the angled exit is to straiten the system making it less restrictive,but the back box pipework was not bent well more of a kink than a uniform mandrell bend. I wouldnt buy from H+S again, apart from that ,it sounds good

maybe the problem is from the ninja dp so throws the rest of the system out.but it shouldnt
Old 31 October 2008, 09:17 PM
Monky
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

This is Dale on a mates PC. Has anyone else had an Afterburner Vortex fitted with full afterburner downpipe and decat and suffered fitting issues?

I can apprecaite you've had some diffuculties stig but with a different exhaust, as far as I can see no one has problems with the Vortex. Considering either the 2.5 inch or 3 inch full system, is their much sound difference?

Thanks,

D
Old 01 November 2008, 03:39 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Blitz all the Way!

You might be able to pick up a cheap system off ebay, just check, you get some bargains sometimes.