Sponsored by:

whos got agx adjustables on a classic

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2008, 12:46 PM
andrew jeffs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whos got agx adjustables on a classic

my late classic rolls a lot on the back now,since i lowered it with eibach springs,i think its upset the dampers,even though i did get the car aligned afterwards.I think the softer dampers of a late classic cant cope with lowering,so has anyone got experience with agx adjustables,ive heard good things?
Old 26 October 2008, 01:47 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

I have Eibach springs with these shocks and whiteline roll bars & ALK on a MY99. It is one of the best road set ups I've used on any of my cars.
Old 26 October 2008, 02:21 PM
Fluffuser
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

My advice is dont, get a set of original spec dampters.

I had eibach springs and agx adjustables fitted to a '97 classic turbo last year for a 'ring trip.

I about 5 years before I previously had a set of 4 standard turbo replacement dampers fotted under warranty on the original springs, having had the bumpsteer and geometry set at powerstarion.

When the agx/eibachs were put on I also had a whiteline anti-lift kit added as the labour was neglibable to to it at the time.

I must say I don't seem to get on with adjustables. I previously had koni top adjustables on a Rover 220 GTI and they didn't make sense on that either.

Set at the front on 1 or 2 (of 4 if I recall) it's sort of a reasonable ride, like oem but not quite. Not as stiff as you'd hope when pressing on, but not aas good as originals when not.

I could never get the front to back balance as good as the set of subaru oem's felt when all 4 were replaced at once. In hindsight original dampers, springs and a bumpsteer mod to remove understeer was a fantastic fast road setup for a classic turbo.

Perhaps the anti-lift kit helped really fast corners under power but otherwise not much over the truly noticeable addition of precision of the turn-in from a powersteer bumpsteer and geometry setup (I think it's to do with maximum equal negative camber and marginal toe-in.

So I'd bet the best value for a classic (perhaps not classic STI's, but I understood the UK97 turbo dampers to be identical to '97 STI's at the time) is:
1. Powerstation bump-steer mod (shim the rack and geometry setup = no understeer aand greaat turn-in)
2. 4 New original dampers
3. Keep the original springs, although eibachs seem fine.

4. I suspect a set of whiteline anti-roll bars or just a replacement set of urethane or standard bushes would help on these vintages of cars now.

Although take my advice in context as these days I waft around in a 3.2 automatic merc!
cheers,
Rob.
Old 26 October 2008, 06:46 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

I have, and its a great setup. Admittedly i use std wrx springs tho.
Old 26 October 2008, 07:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I have just fitted AGX adjustables and H&R springs and much prefer the way the car handles now to standard plus I have the option to adjust for any track days.

It's all personal opinion bit I wont be going back to standard shocks and springs any time soon or ever.

Yes the ride is a bit firmer but that is to be expected. It is not in any way bad however and for me the compromise between ride and handling is spot on.
Old 26 October 2008, 07:44 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

am trying to get a group buy up and running for these if you are interested see thread in group buy section

have been told that this set up is one of the best for late classic and road use
Old 26 October 2008, 09:02 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil739
am trying to get a group buy up and running for these if you are interested see thread in group buy section

have been told that this set up is one of the best for late classic and road use
They handle very similar to the P1 with this setup, (back to back tests done)
Old 27 October 2008, 10:45 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I have AGX KYB w/H&R springs and I love the set-up. She stays flat through the corners. You really do feel planted.