Sponsored by:

Classic rear brembo conversion

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2008, 08:35 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic rear brembo conversion

Well, just spent the last couple of hours converting the rear brakes on my classic to the gold brembo type

Looks good now the rears match the fronts, nice and easy to do as well. I had to wait until I received a helicoil kit from Ebay but that arrived at 4pm, thread fixed by 4:20pm and the brakes fitted ready for a test drive by 6.

Still got to bed them in properly to feel a difference, at the moment, the *** end is a little twitchy but that will settle in nicely with a longish trip down to Somerset tomorrow.

Not super cheap for the classics when you factor in the brackets etc but I'm happy with it

Recommend it to everyone.
Old 21 October 2008, 09:55 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

already fitted on mine
Old 21 October 2008, 10:09 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
already fitted on mine
Cool, did you do the conversion yourself?
Old 22 October 2008, 09:43 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by NUTTYNICK
Cool, did you do the conversion yourself?
no m8 ....i always pay some one else to do the dirty work
Old 22 October 2008, 10:02 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I've been thinking of this mod myself.

How easy is ito convert the front and rears. Are they just bolt on or is there additional parts that are needed?

Thanks
Old 22 October 2008, 10:33 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
I've been thinking of this mod myself.

How easy is ito convert the front and rears. Are they just bolt on or is there additional parts that are needed?

Thanks
On a classic, you will need a conversion bracket and thicker handbrake shoes to accomodate the larger diameter drum on the disc.

A drill to drill out the spot welds on the dust shield (a lot easier than it sounds and very obvious once the disc has been removed.

The fiddliest bit was re assembling the hand brake shoes. I had to remove a lever arm from the original shoe which meant a bit of screwdriver levering action to take off the circlip arrangement. I've played with drum brake assemblies a few times now but you can always use the other side as a 'template' if you're unsure.

With the brackets, some basic tools and a bit of common sense, it's an easy job in my opinion.

The fronts are even easier, a simple replacement job with no extra bits needed as long as the wheels clear the mahoosive calipers.

Certainly look the part under 17" wheels and work more than adequately for my needs.
Old 22 October 2008, 11:06 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NUTTYNICK
On a classic, you will need a conversion bracket and thicker handbrake shoes to accomodate the larger diameter drum on the disc.

A drill to drill out the spot welds on the dust shield (a lot easier than it sounds and very obvious once the disc has been removed.

The fiddliest bit was re assembling the hand brake shoes. I had to remove a lever arm from the original shoe which meant a bit of screwdriver levering action to take off the circlip arrangement. I've played with drum brake assemblies a few times now but you can always use the other side as a 'template' if you're unsure.

With the brackets, some basic tools and a bit of common sense, it's an easy job in my opinion.

The fronts are even easier, a simple replacement job with no extra bits needed as long as the wheels clear the mahoosive calipers.

Certainly look the part under 17" wheels and work more than adequately for my needs.
Thanks.
The front conversion certainly interests me, the rear sounds like hard work.
Old 22 October 2008, 11:36 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Sounds hard work but really isn't that bad. I did a lot of reading up on this site which prepared me for what was going to appear. Got all the kit ready to go, and went for it. I did it in no time, on a carpark (45m extension lead for the drill )

Fronts are easy, and work well with standard rears but I can certainly feel the benefits of having the rears as well now.
Old 22 October 2008, 11:45 PM
andrew jeffs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
Thanks.
The front conversion certainly interests me, the rear sounds like hard work.
or you could go for the cheaper but just as effective rear 2 pot conversion,again very easy to fit with a adapter bracket,they just bolt right up.The subaru rear 2 pot is very light and in cojunction with matching 290mm disks,makes a big difference.Get the callipers off ebay(about £75),then get the bracket and disks from ian at godspeed brakes(about £150).Bolt up in a hour and sorted!