Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I bought 22B in Japan, but cannot make street legal in Czech republic.

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2008, 10:44 AM
hrubago
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought 22B in Japan, but cannot make street legal in Czech republic.

Hello, in the past I bought several cars in Japan (Lancer EVOs, Impreza STI RA, Type R, Spec C etc.). We have no possibility to make these cars street legal here in Czech republic. There are two reasons: cars was RHD and cars havent EU homologation. Hard to explain the whole process but we converted these cars to LHD and need donor cars for rebuilding (we need only documents from another car + approval from importer - its hard to obtain), then new 17 digits VIN is stamped. Yes it sounds little strange but it is usual situation here in Czech republic - people sell only documents for cars, not a car :-) Then my new 22B. I dont like to use cutting and welding machines (+ lot of work) on this nice car and use euro GT documents + new VIN after rebuilding. I like original cars. Is there any possibility to make the car street legal in UK, get UK documents, licence number and bring the car back to Czech republic? Is there some company which could provide the service for me?
Old 21 October 2008, 11:01 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have pm.
Old 21 October 2008, 01:54 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

No need for private messages! Left hand drive cars do not need to pass an E-SVA here, just a simple SVA. Bring them over, book them in, when youve got an SVA certificate get an MOT certificate and then register them. When theyre registered in England that should make it easy to register them in most European countries (but not Germany, theyll make you just though all manner of TUV hoops).

Simon
Old 21 October 2008, 01:57 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Further to that: this helpful and knowledgeable post was brought to you by the SN paying member recently referred to as a troll an an 'obsessed hater'.

Old 21 October 2008, 02:11 PM
hrubago
Scooby Regular

Is there a possibility to registrate the car in England as a Czech republic resident? Also with England registration without EU type homologation there is no chance to registrate in Czech republic.
Old 21 October 2008, 02:16 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Hang on... isn't one of the problems that the car is RHD?
Old 21 October 2008, 02:31 PM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL yes, GC8 missed that plus it is also nearly ten years old anyway....

Last edited by Marky9074; 21 October 2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: me bad.. no SVA after ten years.
Old 21 October 2008, 02:41 PM
hrubago
Scooby Regular

Yes. This is one part of the problem. I could convert it to LHD. But still no chance to register in Czech republic.
Old 21 October 2008, 02:47 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Agree with you not butchering something like this to LHD if it wasn't built that way.

The process described should do it though shouldn't it? You might need a uk address to register it to then you are simply importing from the EU and the car has EU approval.... or am i wrong?

5t.
Old 21 October 2008, 03:15 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I was in a rush: perhaps this isnt one of my most helpful posts? Id misread and thought that they had been converted to LHD. When this has been done then they will be easy to register here.

Id probably not want to permanently convert the 22B, although it can be done short term. It really depends how keen you are to register it? Remember too that any vehicle thats over ten years old can be registered here quite simply and yes, you can do that as a Czech national.
Old 21 October 2008, 03:38 PM
hrubago
Scooby Regular

to Fivetide: EU approval is something like E1x3528x37629 on the vehicle identification plate in the engine room. No oldshape WRX or WRX STi has this homologation a no RHD car. I cant registrate cars from England although you are also in EU, because your cars hasnt this EU homologation.
Old 21 October 2008, 04:12 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Can you just register it here, pay the road tax and clear off with it then drive it round on UK plates?

5t.
Old 21 October 2008, 04:21 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

When its registered in any EU state, then it should be accepted for registration by any other EU state. The Czechs obviously arent playing by the rules (but then, arent we the only member state who adopts more than the rules that suit?).

Someone mentioned SVA and ten year old cars too: it will only need an SVA (as opposed to an E-SVA requiring a model report) test if its <10yrs old and left hand drive: over ten years old itll only need an MOT.

With regards to your national status: youd only need to stay for a month. Rent a serviced office, take out a cheap monthly trade insurance policy and ship them home when theyre registered.
Old 21 October 2008, 04:48 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

For sure you must be able to register any car which was already registered in the EU. Otherwise they are in breach of eu laws and directives(the freedom of mooving goods). I've been imporing cars around too(not from/to czech republic) but in other eu countries, and only thing I had to pay for were the importing country's "special" tax, which varies. But as the right to import it, if it was already in eu - had no problem.
Old 21 October 2008, 05:27 PM
hrubago
Scooby Regular

For sure Im able to register cars from EU, but it cannot be a RHD cars. I remember situation before one or two year ago when was unable to registrate cars older than 8 years (also which came from EU). It was changed because there were possibly penalties by the EU.
Old 21 October 2008, 05:51 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by GC8
When its registered in any EU state, then it should be accepted for registration by any other EU state. The Czechs obviously arent playing by the rules (but then, arent we the only member state who adopts more than the rules that suit?).

Someone mentioned SVA and ten year old cars too: it will only need an SVA (as opposed to an E-SVA requiring a model report) test if its <10yrs old and left hand drive: over ten years old itll only need an MOT.

With regards to your national status: youd only need to stay for a month. Rent a serviced office, take out a cheap monthly trade insurance policy and ship them home when theyre registered.
Dont think you read his post properly the car is not LHD and there is no model report for a 22b. Plus your wrong about being able to register a car in any eu state if it's been registered in a eu state already.

Immy
Old 21 October 2008, 05:56 PM
555)
Scooby Regular

drive the car to any uk port with necessary documents

i will then give you 2 imprezas registered in the uk, a v6 sti and a 2 door

job done
Old 21 October 2008, 06:01 PM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Maci if car have EU registration and it is not RHD + cat - no problem. But if car have short japan VIN and it is imported directly from Japan + RHD it is unable make registration. Only way make it LHD and try homologate as prototype or own project. Everythig must by E-marked, SAE and if someone want see crashtests you need letter of confomity for body. Bad news is only 2 door road legal version for us is old 2,5RS from CND/US market and they have not turbos. I know about 2 cars in my country.
Anyway if Hrubago dont want play butcher role and leave car untouched only way make registration like you do it with grey import in UK.
I bought a year ago RA6 and made it LHD and used my old GT (yours UK Turbo) and sold original body for racing pruproses. Its also one way, but you need 2,5RS car "with papers" and put down from 22B body all parts what mean cutting and welding and killing 22B...
Few pics from RA6: Project RA
Old 21 October 2008, 06:07 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by juggers
Dont think you read his post properly the car is not LHD and there is no model report for a 22b. Plus your wrong about being able to register a car in any eu state if it's been registered in a eu state already.

Immy
I did misread the post, but I have not suggested that there is a model report available.

Having imported more cars than you and having started when you were still at school: I do not need you to reach me how to suck eggs.
Old 21 October 2008, 06:13 PM
hrubago
Scooby Regular

But RHD cars could register in Czech republic only if you are moving from England to Czech republic (no idea to do this :-) and car has modificated mirrors and lights.
Old 21 October 2008, 06:22 PM
555)
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
I did misread the post, but I have not suggested that there is a model report available.

Having imported more cars than you and having started when you were still at school: I do not need you to Teach me how to suck eggs.
Old 21 October 2008, 06:41 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Too busy being indignant.
Old 21 October 2008, 07:15 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hrubago
But RHD cars could register in Czech republic only if you are moving from England to Czech republic (no idea to do this :-) and car has modificated mirrors and lights.
you have to contact the czech embassy in london they will give you a certificate that makes you immune from the regulations and import duty. dont know what it will be called in czech as im doing it in croatia. you will then be able to insure and plate it in your country just have to pass the equivilant of our mot in your country..
Old 21 October 2008, 08:13 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by GC8

Having imported more cars than you and having started when you were still at school: I do not need you to reach me how to suck eggs.

Obviously you do need me to teach you how to suck eggs as you don't even know the basics' i.e just because a car is registered in any E U state does not mean it can be registered in another with out any issues.

And how do you know the number of cars i have imported?

Immy
Old 22 October 2008, 08:40 AM
blu scoob
Scooby Regular

The car will be 10 years old buy now so just mot it and reg it
Old 22 October 2008, 08:58 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Does the car need to be LHD to be registered in CZ though, we have plenty of LHD instead of RHD cars registered in the UK. Spain and France will allow you to register a RHD car where the wheel is normally on the left as long as you have the correct paperwork and change the headlights over to LHD ones.
Old 22 October 2008, 04:57 PM
hrubago
Scooby Regular

22B in LHD or RHD cant be registered in Czech republic because the car hasnīt global EU homologation.