Sponsored by:

FAO Webmaster

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2002, 03:56 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I know you locked the thread, but don't you think the scoobynet community should know about these things.
Old 12 February 2002, 04:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

dingy,
agree with you on this. being as vauge as possible to avoid any legal issues (which is probably the real reason for locking the thread, which I can understand) if someone has screwed someone else and these people have something to do with the impreza community, offering a service, or whatever, then we should know about it, and in a public way. OK, there are 3 sides to every story, yours, mine, and the truth and no-one outside the people having the problems will probably ever know the fully story, even if published on here.

I'm not taking sides here, I don't know Harj, Craig or Dingy, never purchased anything from NAM, so I have no real place to comment on this. but we should know about stuff like this. Is that not one of the reasons this 'community' exists to share information so we can avoid problems like this?

enough rambling, I've had a bad day so am venting a little.

if moderators wish to remove my comments that's ok, I won't be miffed by it.

thanks for listening.
Old 12 February 2002, 04:20 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

There's enough info on that thread for people to make up their own minds. Any further activity would degenerate into a slanging match which ends up looking bad for everyone. Then the thread would be deleted and its contents lost.

I'm sure further details will be welcomed on bbs.22b.com

[Hint: do a search for a thread entitled 'The Rich Tapestry of Life']

[Edited by carl - 2/12/2002 4:25:42 PM]
Old 12 February 2002, 04:25 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I would agree. If there is evidence of misconduct, shouldn't the community be aware of such things before being led to invest more in untrustworthy people, whomever they may be?

Although having said that, it seems Craig himself required the thread to be locked.
Cem
Old 12 February 2002, 04:25 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Agree with you here......

Difficult to ever know the truth but we need to know if it can effect us...

Also it makes a damn good read...

And chat hasn't been as heated in ages!

Old 12 February 2002, 04:26 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Wink

carl, what on earth could you possibly be talking about and why on earth would it appear on 22b.com?
Old 12 February 2002, 04:38 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Well I suppose it's a little like the Name & Shame/Borrowed Intercooler and another so called "abusive" thread that I missed before it was deleted.

I subsequently asked a question on Dreamweavers libel topic. To save Simon from repeating himself here is one of the pertinent responses:-

This is by far the most painful part of running scoobynet. Just as everyone else, I personally want to see companies named and shamed for bad service. I've been ripped off by my fair share of companies (some whilst running scoobynet) and you will not see a single post from me along those lines.

The problem is not always just whether the things you post are true, or even provable. Bare in mind, that just because you believe they are provable doesn't mean that I will know that for sure.

We are threatened with legal action on average about once every 2 months. Sometimes very seriously, and it requires due diligence on our part to strengthen our potential case should it go to court.

We have a legal responsibility (as frustrating as that may be) to remove potentially libellous threads / posts on request of the "injured" party, or upon noticing them. Failure to do so, enforces the stand point that they were scoobynet's opinions.

The amount of traffic on scoobynet is around 15 times what it was 18 months ago (and it was already a huge site), so we get a staggering amount of attention, and it is just a fact that things get noticed here that perhaps wouldn't be on other sites.

We *could* just turn a blind eye and see how it goes. Maybe we'd last a month, maybe a year. But eventually someone would sue us and the board would close, my company may go bankrupt and I personally could lose a substantial amount of money.

As Neil said, scoobynet does not "make money", it mearly pays for itself. It doesn't pay for anyone's time (including mine), but the moderators and I are genuinely dedicated to keeping it here for everyone including us. I think most would agree it is one of the most professionally run sites of it's kind in the world, and certainly one of the most popular. This is just a price we have to pay for all the good stuff.

All the best

Simon
Old 12 February 2002, 04:42 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

Difficult one from what our topic was about, as we are, well thought we were the company and wouldn't dream of touching scoobynet.

So where is the problem.

I haven't told any lies or slagged anyone off, just told the truth.
Old 12 February 2002, 04:42 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK

All I'm going to say on this is a) Yes i *LOCKED* the thread, I didn't delete it. b) two of the 3 main people involved have agreed it should be locked. c) please read other threads similar to this one so you can understand why these things need to be dealt with.

I don't run scoobynet to provide a public service for complaints and legal wranglings. It is here for enthusiasts to communicate.

Regards

webmaster
Old 12 February 2002, 04:44 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

2 out of three, Neither me or craig contacted you about locking the thread.

So one party.

Craig did mention it tho cause he is a spinless ****
Old 12 February 2002, 05:07 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Bickering and lying about what you've done will not get anyone anywhere or change anything, so I agree it is best to lock this thread now to avoid a pointless slanging match.

[Edited by CraigH - 2/12/2002 3:21:56 PM]
Does imply Craig wanted the thread locked does it not ?

It hasnt been deleted which would have meant all this would not be in the public domain, all involved have commented in the thread to ! Whats left is best dealt with offline via whatever means you feel serves the purpose best ! I cant comment on it not having first hand experience of any of this !
Old 12 February 2002, 05:11 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Yeah i get it.

Simon hasn't really answered my question.

Of the 2 parties Harj is the only one to be taking of legal action against scoobynet cause we aren't. So all i want to know has the community got a right to know the truth about trusted people on this bbs.

Or is it a waste of time even posting
Old 12 February 2002, 05:26 PM
imatrukahs
Scooby Regular

Is there something going here?,tell us the details Dingy..
Old 12 February 2002, 05:33 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

I think the point is that people can still read both sides of the story in the thread, and that there can be no further, potentially damaging, posts made to it.
Old 12 February 2002, 05:41 PM
imatrukahs
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately for Harj....he looks the guilty party,according to Dingy/Carl...but as said Harj hasnt really had his say,from what i have seen....theres always two sides...but let me say this...evil normally wins .
Old 12 February 2002, 06:06 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

LOL.

Except in Star Wars.

NAM - May the Force be With You
Old 12 February 2002, 06:14 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Whats all this about?

Where is the orginal thread?
Old 12 February 2002, 06:21 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

add one of the main characters to your VIP list and see where they spent the day posting.
Old 12 February 2002, 06:40 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

IMHO this is between the NAM director/s, whatever and should be kept out of the public forum until it's been amicably resolved or resolved in court.

General principle

IF someone has been conned, then what better way to expose the con-man/men than by stating that they have been convicted in a court of law. Not only does that carry more weight than rumour and gossip, it can be told to the public as the result is the result of a public record.

As has been proven many times before, bringing up mud and dirt on somone often backfires as you can inadvertantly damage your own case.

Therefore,IMHO it's better to keep it quiet until it's all panned out than spill all only to find out you've lost any recourse you might have had because it's been on a public BBS and you've said something in not quite the right way.

/General principle

I'm all for people naming con merchants, bad companies etc, BUT it should be done A/ after taking legal/trading standards advice and B/ After the agreement of the person who life, home and livelyhood is on the line when anything is posted. I.e Simon.

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 2/12/2002 6:42:34 PM]
Old 12 February 2002, 06:41 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Simon also pointed out me that it's not practical to develop guidlines based upon the likelihood or ability to resort to litigation. There is an obvious need for a consistent policy and the fact that in this case two of the three parties involved would not sue shouldn't influence the decision.

At at least even though the thread has been locked all parties have made a statement and the details can still be viewed and individuals can choose their standpoint.

Reading through the recent threads its disconcerting to see the numbers of people that have been "taken" in by an approach or recommendation via the bbs. With 11,000 participants there's going to be the odd black sheep, who will cast a shadow on the genuine people.

It is very unfortunate that a more effective mechanism cannot be used advise the community of these issues. I'm just wondering how auction site recommendation lists work. They contain a mix of views but I've seen some pretty direct comments made on performance/credibility.

Old 12 February 2002, 06:44 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Auction sites have a member feedback form, and a star rating. How would we stop bad muppets from posting bad remarks just to stir up trouble? Good idea though, that does deserve thinkng about
Old 12 February 2002, 06:57 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Dingy,

I know you and Craig as mates, BUT...............

Stop being a knobber and wind ya neck in!!!

For whatever reason you had in making the original thread, I think you can safely say you have achieved your desired result...AGREED?!

At the end of the day I would make this response, regardless of who the thread was concerning. The fact that I know all three of you, just makes it even worse.

Common chaps, can we please all put this to bed now.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 12 February 2002, 09:37 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

Shaun,

Its to bed, yet things are still un answered.