Sponsored by:

My Snetterton Time Attack

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2008, 02:20 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My Snetterton Time Attack

I know I have a project thread where some of you read this stuff but I thought a separate report might be nice to give a little insight of Time Attack from the drivers side hence writing a report ...

I was optimistic about this event as it is a track that I know well and convinced that most others were underestimating how difficult it is thinking it is two big straights connected by 4 corners but having had the luck on TA rounds that I have had so far, I was very nervous.

Sunday morning and a brief distraction watching the farce that is F1 and we were on our way through the depths of Norfolk and fenland fog to the track. The visibility at the track was very poor and the start delayed by an hour. It was the plan for my friend Nige to come out for the first warmup session with me but this was cancelled and instead a rush to get 30 cars out to follow a safety car out. I needed to get out on track to cure some nerves so sent Matt to run for Nige whilst I joined the queue of cars waiting to go out. If I didnt do this I wouldnt have got out in the first session. Unfortunately Nige turned up just after I had left.. sorry mate.

A tad foggy !

This seemed to help clear the fog and we appeared to be back on schedule for the day.

Nige was setting up the camera:

but every now and again coming back with rachel and nige to enjoy our VIP suite we had arranged:

First practice was about to start and the nerves kicked in again... the pressure was on as people expected me to do well as it was my home circuit. I wasnt worried about the track or the car but didnt want to let Rachel, Annabelle, Nige and Lou down.

I was out in Group B because previous results hadnt been good, but it allowed Zen Performance to fully support me during my sessions holding out pitboards and effectively telling me how to run the session ie do one warm up - 1 hot lap then come in, we will check and adjust tyre pressures. It was awesome, and so reassuring to have someone with detailed knowledge and experience setting your car up on event. I was calm and focused. The first session went well with me posting 4th fastest in my group with a time of 1.20.2 which was 2 seconds faster than I had ever driven Snetterton. I knew it would go quicker though as I had messed that lap up.

The next session was qualifying. This is what would make or break the day for me.

From looking at the times of the two combined groups. I thought a sub 1.20 would be enough to get to the final from how people were going. This was my target and I thought I could do it.

Rolling out of the pit lane and into my warm up lap and then pull really wide for the final chicane to give a straight line and max exit speed for the opening straight - this one would do it. The lap felt great but as I came across the line to finish it my lap timer said 1.20.08 bugger. Cool down, re-focus and start again the next lap. This was clean again but 1.20.05 bugger again. Time to come into the pits and chat to Paul from Zen.

Paul (with able assistance from Steven Darley) sorted tyre pressures and checked stuff over whilst I sat in the car and sent me back out for one more hot lap. Nice wide line to the chicane and nail it up the straight, slightly later on the brakes and turn in for richies, that felt good. Into the main straight and into 6th gear now through the esses, bombhole and coram and brake heavy down to the chicane taking all of the kerb and a bit more and through to finish the lap. Yes - 1.19.6 result. That would do it !!

I cooled down for a lap. There wasn't much left of the 20 min session so I headed into the pits. Paul made some adjustments to the suspension settings, checked under the bonnet and changed tyre pressures. He told me I had qualified already but thought that these would be an improvement. I had enough time for another hot lap. The car felt great and I headed round coram much faster than before and as a result I missed my braking point for the chicane - *****. Heyho, laughing to myself and shaking my head I cruised up to the line for the chequered flag and was almost crying to myself to know that I had qualified for my first final. I qualified 15th O/A and 13th in F/I

I was quite happy

Everyone was chuffed for me too and it was great to have so much positivity around me.

Still happy.

Time for the final and I needed to put more fuel in Unfortunately I overfilled it so could have run lighter but that is no excuse.

The car had been getting too hot in the qualifying session so was going to have to play it sensible in the final by making space to start with to make the first lap count. I warmed the tyres up and went for it. Unfortunately my GPS lap timer decided that this was the time to not show me a time. It felt good but how good?? I came into the pits to find out... 1.19.2 !!

I headed out again convinced I could go quicker still but on a hot lap the car decided to det quite heavily so I decided to back off and abort the lap let it cool down for a couple of laps then try again.... it did the same. Hmm. into the pits and Paul suggested doing 3 cool down laps to see whether it would clear it but alas not. I only got the one hot lap in the final but chuffed that it counted well finishing 13th O/A and 11th F/I and I got to drive home in one piece afterwards

As for my support - I owe huge debt of gratitude to Paul & Liz and the rest of the guys at Zen Performance for this result, with their car not running it would have been very easy for them not to turn up but they decided to head over to support me and Steven anyway - for this I am very grateful. Also big thanks go out to Mark at Lateral Performance and to everyone else for the words of encouragement and assistance.

Here's to 2009 !
Old 13 October 2008, 02:41 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up mate

THIS IMHO is what Time Attack is all about
Old 13 October 2008, 03:14 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Duncan,
Nice write-up!

As a matter of interest, how many times have you done Snetterton now? I would imagine quite a few as you are down the road. It's one of my favourite tracks...... is great for learning your car and progressing your ability.
Old 13 October 2008, 03:17 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

I have to be honest and say I cant remember. Lots though

I agree it is a good track for testing as you can get quite close to how quick your car 'can' go and therefore see an immediate change for set ups/power etc.
Old 13 October 2008, 03:23 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Good blog dynamix,

It sure was foggy 1st thing! I put some pix on myspace and I have yet to upload my videos. I filmed the parade laps too of the time attack and the clubs cruising the track. Have some footage of the green wagon flaming

Was a good day all round.
Old 13 October 2008, 07:43 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

nice one man! great work!, i wasnt far away from snetty on sunday, was karting on a work dew instead.
Old 13 October 2008, 07:44 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Nice result Duncan and good write up

Trending Topics

Old 14 October 2008, 12:24 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice to meet you briefly! Well done
Old 14 October 2008, 12:50 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Nice write up.....and good result
Old 14 October 2008, 02:14 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Well done Duncan, great write up. Snetterton is a superb circuit and would have suited the big power cars well

Iain
Old 14 October 2008, 03:57 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LitchfieldImports
Well done Duncan, great write up. Snetterton is a superb circuit and would have suited the big power cars well

Iain
Puff - good to meet you too briefly

Bob - thanks.

Thanks Iain - will be nice when I am running more power then

Another success story for std Brembo calipers and Performance Friction discs/pads Although I have to say that the calipers are no longer gold - they are brown and the writing is now black
Old 14 October 2008, 05:26 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Hey Duncan, glad it all came together for you at the end of the season and the car is running well!
Bring on 2009.

Another success story for std Brembo calipers and Performance Friction discs/pads Although I have to say that the calipers are no longer gold - they are brown and the writing is now black
I really need to take you out in my full fat 05 STi running K-Sports front and back ... I think you would be surprised at just how good they are. Might be worth a few seconds per lap on track.
Old 14 October 2008, 05:35 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Brakes are on the list for 2009 - will be looking into options on these soon
Old 14 October 2008, 06:17 PM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

Well done Duncan, it's a well deserved result.

Mark.
Old 15 October 2008, 08:58 PM
T123VOR
Scooby Regular

Well done and good luck for 2009
Old 15 October 2008, 09:04 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good write up, Duncan.
Old 15 October 2008, 09:04 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lateral Performance
Well done Duncan, it's a well deserved result.

Mark.
Cheers Mark - the seasons lows have made this even sweeter.

Next year the bar will be raised yet again and I am aiming higher.
Old 15 October 2008, 09:09 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

and thanks everyone else too