Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for RUM or anybody - feel free to move this ..

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2002, 09:15 AM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doofus,

No idea on the insurance aspect but best wishes to your wife and I hope Hannah is doing well.

Chris.
Old 12 February 2002, 10:02 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Doofus, congratulations to you and yours! I wish your wife a speedy recovery, and am chuffed that everything's ok.

Just to let you know you may not get a response from Rum as he's otherwise engaged at the moment. I know BlowDog was in a similar situation and that you need the car to be insured in its own right (ie not use the third party extension of your insurance).

You may want to speak to your existing broker, or give John or Dean a call at Schofield Insurance as I'm sure they'd be able to give good qualified advice! (0113 250 0377)

All the best to all,

Nick.
Old 12 February 2002, 10:03 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Doof

I'm not in the industry but as Rum is not around untill 18th, here is my uninformed list of marginally legal options for your consideration.

If you are genuinely just running it round the block sod the tax and take a gamble that nothing happens. Many of us must have test driven unlicensed cars when purchasing privatley.

If you have not yet cancelled the policy, or still retain the documents. Return the excise licence, claim a refund and then re tax for twelve months.

Have you checked if the insurer will "freeze" the policy? We did that a few years ago during a rebuild.

As a second car, presumably with a lower premium than the Scoob, is there a tangible saving after the cancellation and admin charges have been levied? Also if she was feeling up to it your wife or a friend could take the car out.

What is the value of the car? Are you prepared to risk damage or theft during the uninsured period?

Under the Consumer Credit Act any agreement signed at home allows a 14 day cooling off period. Insure the car in your name using a monthly installment plan, apply for tax using the cover note & cancel after a few days. BUT don't rely on me, double double check CCC Act applies!
Old 12 February 2002, 11:14 AM
LEE-69
Scooby Regular

you can tax a car a certain number of days before it is due.i think its 12.so the car could be taxed.check with a post office that does taxing of vehicles.
Old 12 February 2002, 12:03 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Question

Suzuki Vitara????
Old 12 February 2002, 12:09 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

My missus was driving 5-weeks after a C-Section.

Basic requirement is ability to press the middle pedal hard enough....which she could!

Call your GP....they check you out....if GP is happy you tell Insurance....and then they are happy. Eutopia!

Other option of course is to carry older siblings whilst pushing "new sprog" in the pram.....that'll get you fully recovered much faster eh?
Old 12 February 2002, 12:35 PM
neveryoumind
Scooby Regular

Probably the cheapest way to do it would be to renew the insurance on the car( laid up fire and theft is possible if you are not going to use it, not sure about starting a new policy like this though.) and not tax it. Just turn it over for ten minutes or so every week.
The other option is to let the insurance lapse, and add the car to your own policy as a temporary additional vehicle for up to three months, get the tax that way, get the Proof of no claims letter off the insurers, and use this to start a policy again when your wife starts driving.
You would need to check that her car is covered for theft etc on your policy.
nym
Old 12 February 2002, 12:57 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well you wouldn't want to be seen on the road in a Jimny anyway

Hope your other half gets well soon & congrats on the sproglet.....you won't look back!
Old 02 December 2002, 12:32 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

I may be 100% wrong on this but I think you'll need to read your insurance docs before you consider what to do. I know most policies when they cover you third party on another car only do so if that other car is insured. If you are going to drive it round then you need to insure it.

[edited to say congrats - you'll be too busy playing with the sprog and running around after missus to drive anyway :-) ]

[Edited by LanCat - 2/12/2002 12:35:33 PM]