Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer confirms MY03 redesign

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2002, 04:43 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scooby dealer friend just confirmed what the net has been saying all along: MY03 WRX will have a strong but not radical redesign.

He said that that Prodrive have finished the work and Subaru Japan are now changing the assembly line for August start-up and February sale in Europe.

He didn’t have any details of what the redesign will entail except the obvious; that the bug lights are getting binned.
Old 11 February 2002, 05:02 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Bu66er!

I put off buying from 01 to spring 02 to get the extra warranty... I put off buying from spring 02 to summer 02 to maybe get an STI 5 door... now I have to put off buying from summer 02 to spring 03 to get better than bug-eyes and perhaps a far more resellable car...

Think I'm going to put off buying for another 20 yrs as then I will have a nuclear-powered intercontinental ballistic capsule [wasn't that Heinlein?]

BJH
Old 11 February 2002, 05:19 PM
evo5uk
Scooby Regular

Spoke to a dealer who says that the radical redesign is only for the rally car & maybe for the road car!!!
Old 11 February 2002, 05:27 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

If this is true it is going to cost Subaru a huge amount of money to get the type approval for Europe let alone the rest of the world on any changes they make. They will also have to go through a whole new series of crash test which again costs a lot of money. Someone is going to have to cover these costs and a bet it's not Subaru. The only way to avoid these costs is to offer the new parts as upgrades fitted by the dealers such as they do now with headlights and spoilers. I doubt that sales are that bad that they have to do something so drastic especially as the STI UK has gone into full production. Also no one is now going to buy a MY02 knowing that a new MY03 is coming out.

The rally team do have upgrades to the car out for this year so maybe the parts from this will be offered as an upgrade.

[Edited by sillysi - 2/11/2002 5:33:17 PM]

[Edited by sillysi - 2/11/2002 5:34:24 PM]
Old 11 February 2002, 05:31 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

Wink

The smart money will go on 'the radical redesign' being something totally outragous like...say....twin headlight units as standard, or even a slightly larger rear spoiler.
Old 11 February 2002, 05:37 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well IM (last I heard a few weeks ago) officially stated that there would be no change and the dealers are usually the last to know so I wouldn't put much stock in what they tell you.....

Matt
Old 11 February 2002, 06:05 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

If its a facelift, then it will not need new type approval. Quite a bit can be changed without having fresh crash tests.

Are you sure your dealer hasn't confirmed this because he read it in Autocar.

Subaru UK are notoriously tight lipped about such things and the dealer is very unlikely to have heard it from official channels. Dealers normally find out what the future holds... on here
Old 11 February 2002, 06:57 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Rumour also has it (probably the same person...) that the STi7 will NOT get the facelift.

I would have thought it extremely unlikely that FHI would retool body panels - VERY expensive - and, despite what the doom mongers say, the WRX isn't selling badly.......
Old 11 February 2002, 07:01 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

I would be very surprised if the rally car differed significantly from the road car, after all, selling road cars that look like rally cars is the reason that Subaru go rallying in the first place.

Don't confuse Subaru with other "normal" manufacturers. Unlike everyone else, Subaru continually fiddle & tweak the design of the Impreza, so a front-end redesign so soon after the last one is not that big a deal for them.

And yes, personal opinions aside, the "current" new Impreza design has received a lot of criticism, something that has allegedly resulted in less than fantastic sales in the most important marketplace of all. Japan. You only have to look at what's been happening to Nissan to understand the importance of getting the "look" just right. Getting Prodrive to do the styling says it all.
Old 11 February 2002, 07:09 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

i still think the 'redesign' has something to do with the suprise low price of the uk sti.MY01... shift 'em quick, then get another load of new customers when the better looking version appears

subaru cant lose.
Old 11 February 2002, 08:21 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Dave,

despite what the doom mongers say, the WRX isn't selling badly.......

Not that I would want to disagree or anything but sales in Holland & Belgium are a complete *nightmare*. The last two doom mongers who told me this were ... Subaru dealers.

The fact that in Holland you can now get a WRX with PPP, rally lights & spoiler for the price of a bare WRX, and that even those stay on the parking lots must tell us something ... (they call it the LE version)

But I don't know the sales in the UK, and the US will certainly be a hit.

Theo
Old 11 February 2002, 08:52 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Theo, yeah, sorry I didn't mean in the lands of chocolate and cheese, but here - the land of strikes
Old 11 February 2002, 09:00 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

Wonder if it'll be anything like the new Forester??
(coming November this year apparently)

Old 11 February 2002, 09:02 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Hope not!
Old 11 February 2002, 09:27 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Sorry BENA80, only recall the ones that ended up like the current bugeye. Anyone got an old cache of Autocars? I can only stretch back a few months....
Old 12 February 2002, 12:37 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Jap car manufacturers usually work to a model lifecycle of abt 4 yrs (called full model change when it's life comes to the end), and they'll all have a mid-life facelift (called model change). Subaru are one of those who has a longer product lifecycle (typically 6 yrs), and I guess a facelift on the Impreza will come in MY04, if not earlier.
I don't think it'll cost FHI a lot of money when it comes to facelifting their cars, they do crash tests all the time anyway for safety development work and as long as there are no changes to the structure of the car, then the crash test performance is going to be similar. AFAIK, they had to do a new type approval in Japan for the lightweight version of the RA STi, as it doesn't have the front subframe in order to save weight. U can see that FHI is willing to spend money on it's cars, and it is rumoured that soon we'll see a new generation of boxer engines.
Old 12 February 2002, 04:26 AM
bugwaan
Scooby Regular

NO CHANGES ARE TO BE DONE...

You lot dont get it.
The world revolves around the US market and not UK or Australia. Therefore as sales of the Impreza go...(all models) is going thru the roof and FHI have no intemtion of changing anything...
Leave the subject alone....the MY01 is here to stay!!
Old 12 February 2002, 05:17 AM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Clarence,

Interesting that you mentioned the sti RA has no front-subframe. Maybe this deletion will allow the new generation Impreza to gain steering feel?
Old 12 February 2002, 08:51 AM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

buy it, mod it & drive it - enjoy it. If you wait till next year and the next year we would never but anything. If you really want one then get it, and just change the bits you dont like. (if your really clever and can make it look really good then design a kit and get a patent for it - make some money and by a GTR)
Old 12 February 2002, 09:12 AM
Wizard of OZ
Scooby Regular

If the market revolved around the US then the WRX's, EVO's and such would have been here sooner. Before the US-Spec WRX came in all SOA had was Foresters and Outbacks geared toward Hogan's "soccer mom" sales. The WRX just made the first ripple in America can they continue to ride the wave with RX-8, Z350 and EVO7 coming in?
Old 12 February 2002, 04:57 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

I think he meant now that it is launched there that there will be a huge initial demand for at least a couple of years, where they can make oodles of money - far more than europe. Resulting in a lack of urgency in redesign. IMHO.
Old 12 February 2002, 08:19 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

The STi-RA I'm referring to is the Spec C version.
I think the designs of FHI does not revolve around US, they revolve around Japan. Japan is the most important market for all Japanese manufacturers, that's y they put a lot of resources into developing and making domestic only models that are not exported. Mitsubishi's AYC system was intended for domestic market models only, and there are many examples of Japanese manufacturers offering features that are unique to their own market.
If FHI is not going to facelift the Impreza for MY03, then they'll do it for MY04. It's a tradition for them to facelift cars during mid-life, and dramatic facelifts are not unknown in the past. Just compare the front of the UK Integra R and the Jap Inte R, the Jap car has the later facelifted front whereas the UK car has the pre-facelift look.
Old 12 February 2002, 09:21 PM
BENA80
Scooby Regular

Has any one on the board got any inside info on Prodrive - someon must know wtf is going on with the re-design.
Old 12 February 2002, 09:36 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

From what Ive been told the dealer is talking crap. I'm up for a few bets on this one that the MY03 will only be minor changes.
Ive done some digging (above dealer level), and it would appear the shape we know and love is safe for another year.

JOnathan
Old 12 February 2002, 10:31 PM
bugwaan
Scooby Regular

FREE-T
Thanks for your post..
Thats exactly what I am talking about....
I havent any figures but I would bet that the US market has outsold any other market by about 10:1...(Imprezas all models) not just the wrx.
I think still that the US is the dominant market and Jap only the secondary market..
As fo rthe UK.....or OZ......forget it!!
Old 13 February 2002, 04:31 AM
Wizard of OZ
Scooby Regular

US sales up 8% from 2000.

From Motor Trend -
Subaru of America garnered its best U.S. sales to date in 2001 with a year-end total of 185,944 units, an eight percent increase from 2000 totals. The surprise seller for 2001 was the redesigned Impreza line, including the high-performance Impreza WRX, which enjoyed a sales increase of 85 percent from the previous year. Subaru's highest seller for 2001 was the Legacy.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/stories/020104sr.html

Hyundia sold well my brother has the new "cute-SUV" the Santa FE. They likely sold as well as the WRX. The US may have sold more Scooby units, but look how big the market is. Yet it's a market with alot of consumer choices so what was hot one year could likely not be the next.
Old 13 February 2002, 12:41 PM
Lunchie
Scooby Regular

I just went to the Motor Trend website and saw their road test of the WRX. I notice it doesn't have a rear spoiler. Were these optional extras in the US, and what else, I wonder is different?

Lunchie
Old 13 February 2002, 01:52 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

<IMHO>
The sales in the US are up because for the first time, they can buy the turbo version instead of the 2.5l non-turbo.
</IMHO>
Old 13 February 2002, 02:04 PM
Wizard of OZ
Scooby Regular

Yeah I think the wing is extra. I've seen them without wing or with just this version.
Pretty weak huh? I saw one guy here had the WRC package on his. $4,000 for a WRC wing and 17" rims, my P1's was much cheaper than that and look alot nicer.

Here's a link to Edmunds.com about the features on the US-spec WRX. www.edmunds.com/new/2002/subaru/impreza/wrxawd4drsedan20l4cylturbo5m/standard.html?id=lin0014

Peace!

[Edited by Wizard of OZ - 2/13/2002 2:10:48 PM]
Old 13 February 2002, 10:44 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

In terms of unit sales, Japan is still the largest market for FHI.
The domestic market accounted for over 50% of the total sales made during 2001.
The number of K cars sold by Subaru in Japan last yr was only slightly less than the total sales of Subaru in the US. Remember the Japanese govt supported it's own motor industry by forcing ppl over there to buy new cars every 4 or 5 yrs, that's y they managed to sell so many cars over there.

Quick Reply: Dealer confirms MY03 redesign