Sponsored by:

EVO VI vs P1

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2002, 12:45 PM
springy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I can probably predict the answer but I will ask anyway.
I have been debating for the past months about getting a EVO VI or a P1.
I have been taken for a spin in both cars and am still undecided.
Both drivers said their cars knocked spots off the other and so this didnt help. Both cars were putting out 280bhp.
Which of the two should I buy and why? I know you will probably say the scooby but is there an overriding reason for this?

I look forward to some interesting replies!

cheers

p
Old 11 February 2002, 12:51 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Evo VI is more "raw", IMHO. To my mind, it was faster too. I couldn't live with the harshness (suspension) and the fuel tank would really get on my thrupennies.

They're both great cars, but I'd go for the STI VII
Old 11 February 2002, 12:59 PM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

likewise, the STI7 has far more potential!
Old 11 February 2002, 01:17 PM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Have not tried an EVO but am more than happy with the P1; is so smooth and effortless. Prodrive backbox is absolute music !

Good luck.....
Old 11 February 2002, 01:21 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Talking

The service intervals would make me buy a P1 as well.
Old 11 February 2002, 01:28 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I have an RB5, but test drove three VI's before I decided. The EVO IMHO was a better equipped car (Climate, FMIC, Brakes, General interior) and the more brash looking of the two. After a 20 mile trip I decided that although great fun the EVO's suspension was just too hard for everyday motoring and the wife refused to pop round town in it The RB5 and P1's can be driven aroung town as an everyday car without unleashing the power whereas when behind the wheel of the Evo there was a sense it had to be "driven". They are both top cars and you will be happy whichever you buy.
Old 11 February 2002, 01:46 PM
wacko
Scooby Regular

Cool

Evo is too harsh on ride, have been to the Lake District and back in the good old P1 without feeling uncomfortable in the seat. In an EVO after 30mins had kinda had enough.
But down to personal taste at the end of the day.....
Old 11 February 2002, 02:10 PM
pob on the job
Scooby Regular

Question

First off these are both very acomplished cars in their own rights. A couple of years back I had a pretty much standard Catalunya and fanced a change. I really wanted an Evo5 or 6. I test drove 3 but none of them did it for me, a bit disappoiting after hearing all the hype. I opted for an MY99 wrx type RA LTD instead. It's very loud, not the most comfortable ride, very thirsty but there is nothing out there right now I'd change it for, haven't tried an Evo 7 yet This is the longest I have ever kept a car and even after all this time still love every minute of driving. As for the evo being faster or not, there is so little in it it's more down to driver ability IMHO. There wasn't an Evo that was lapping faster than me at the last track day and I had the handicap of 2 pots. I'm also a crap driver so take what you want from that. Test drive the 2 of them and make your choice. It's no good sitting in the passenger seat, get behind the wheel. I know of loads of people who have changed over from UK scoobs to Evo 6's and would never go back. In my own opinion, the EVO looks the better car of the 2, but the driving experience doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.
Old 11 February 2002, 02:50 PM
Petoir
Scooby Regular

Hi, quite a long post but I just did the swap.

I just traded my P1 in against a Black Evo 6 Tommi Makinen after test driving the Evo last month. I had the P1 for a year, I've had the Evo 2 weeks, but here's a breakdown of where I, personally see the differences.

Fuel - Evo a little thirstier but not by a a great deal TBH. The Evo is much easier around town. Much less lag low down, quieter engine/exhaust note and precise and easier steering. My wife adores the Evo over the P1 in this respect.

Ride - DO NOT believe people who tell you the EVO is too hard, OK it may be personal preference to some extent, but it's total baloney IMHO. It was the one thing that concerned me before I drove the EVO. Believe me, it's nowhere near as bad as people make out. I used to drive a MY99 fitted with MIM 17s and low profile SO2s, this was a much harder ride than the EVO.....

The EVO more than makes up for a slight increase in rigidity by being 'absolutely' planted to the tarmac. 10 yards off the forecourt into my test drive and I had a grin on my face - it's perfect.

Service Interval - the EVO is a no compromises rally derivative, unlike the P1 which caters more for the enthusiast who has to do a lot of miles - it hterefore needs a little more looking after

I'm lucky, in that the Evo lives in the garage and only comes out at the weekends now, where as the P1 was my daily commute. But after 12 months of P1 ownership I felt it was missing something - I wanted a rally derivative to feel and drive like a rally derivative.

Things I don't miss about the P1.

Dire understeer, awful tyres, crap brakes, fuzzy neutral steering, stone chips and a much louder and intrusive engine note at high revs.

Things I love about the EVO

Amazing Steering and driver feedback, absolutely no comparison.
Stunning brakes
Incredible rush to 60 in 4.3secs
Fantastic pull in 5th on Motorways.
Lovely whooosh and whistle when the turbo kicks in, more than makes up for the Scooby burble going.

After owning both, I feel lucky - but qualified to say that the choice you need to make is clearer than you think.

Do you want:

a) A compromised, insanely quick commuter car with lots of character and wonderful exhaust note... P1

or

b) A stunning performamce classic, no compromises, pure adrenaline rush... EVO

Hope that helps

Pete

Old 11 February 2002, 04:25 PM
springy
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all your replies to date esp. those of you who had owned both - you lucky things! Please keep em coming cos they are helping!
I have been enquiring around dealers and nowhere will give me a test drive because I am under 25 - I am 23! They require me to have my own insurance which for a 1-hour test drive would set me back about £500!
All of the scooby and evo drivers I have spoken/met have been YOUNGER than me!

Any ideas cos I am not paying that sort of money for a test drive -I can hire one for a day for less than that?

Thanks once again,

p

Old 11 February 2002, 04:41 PM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Talking

Springy,

I am 24 and bought a P1 in October. I drove the car I bought twice before settling on it and both times was out for at least an hour on a mix of motorways and country lanes. I had to pay nothing for insurance, however this did change dramatically once I got the car!

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions about the dealer I went to or the car.

Cheers

Si
Old 11 February 2002, 05:18 PM
DjacK
Scooby Regular

If you wont a loud burble on a evo, then buy the exhaust I have got.. Its a 5 Zigen 304 Border max.. My frinds full p1 scooby back box and sytem blah blah, aint half as loud!

But the Scoobys engine makes a nice umphh as well ..

Old 11 February 2002, 05:31 PM
Viper
Scooby Regular

I test drove an Evo VI GSR before I bought my P1, no comparison, needless to say I bought a P1.

OK the P1 is weaker in standard form in a few areas, but I ordered the full list of WR options when I took delivery of my P1. I now have great brakes, superb sounding exhaust note, excellent seats, 18inch gold wheels and the most amazing gas discharge driving lights that you have ever seen. With a few other modifications I feel that I could give most Evo's a run for their money.

In regards to the P1 understeering, a trip to Powerstation for their bumpsteer mod solves that quite nicely.

Lastly, there are some really great people on this BBS and everyone I have either met or exchanged emails with have been great.

Cheers

Phil
Old 11 February 2002, 05:35 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

/agree Viper
Old 11 February 2002, 05:35 PM
Petoir
Scooby Regular

Typical to read another 'well balanced' argument from a P1 owner, your response was equally flawed. Someone asked for an opinion and got it. Twice as much to run my ar*e. And Petoir spent 25.5k on his Tommi Mak UK car, instead of keeping his P1 to upgrade brakes, change tyres, seats, exhaust and so on and so on and so on..... There's 5k before I even start.

My Insurance - same address, same NCB, £200 pa less than the P1.

A Tommi Mak driven down a B Road is a subjective matter - I drove a P1 down many B Roads, I know both car's capabilites - don't criticise what I said, I distinctly put 'personal opinion' in quotes. The Evo is nowhere near twitchy, it's connected to the road, the P1 used to slide at the front and the steering would always hit neutrality just when you needed directness.

Every criticism I've read of the Evo on this BBS has always been a straight quote from a magazine / motoring press. That's the trouble with this board it's full of antagonistic biased Subaru owners.

I'd like to see anyone get a P1 for 22k, I got 22 trade in and it was nearly two years old.

Oh and there are 50 Black Tommi Mak's in the UK, not 23,000. Just got sick of seeing scoobies all day.

Old 11 February 2002, 05:37 PM
stavros
Scooby Regular

Cool

boxer sound mate
boxer sound says it all
sti type r v5 limited
Old 11 February 2002, 05:58 PM
Petoir
Scooby Regular

Agreed, someone with mildly better driving skills will be quicker than the other. The rest of the argument could go on all day and is very much down to personal taste - whether that's how the car looks or how a car handles itself when you're at the wheel. Tit for tat arguing is what makes these threads last for weeks.

I adored my P1, but I don't miss it.

I thought it was a little patronising to suggest I didn't shop around for my insurance living in South London makes that a necessity, believe me. £1200 for the P1, £1000 for the Evo. I shopped til I dropped to get that price.
Old 11 February 2002, 06:28 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Petoir, good work then.

I just wish i had your cash to run an Evo. They are a great car, but i couldn't live with the silly fuel tank or having to drive to Ralliart 3 times a year, paying outrageous cash to check the AYC or replace discs. I love their looks, perhaps even more than the P1, but not enough to get one, they just don't add up.

You have to ask yourself the miles you want to do, my Gf is lovely and barely likes the P1, i wouldn't replace her for the Evo
Old 11 February 2002, 06:34 PM
Petoir
Scooby Regular

That's that sorted then, we all love each other really
Old 11 February 2002, 06:39 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

But which ones better ffs

Old 11 February 2002, 06:50 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

err..thats an Evo5 you know, not an Evo6

Rich.
Old 11 February 2002, 07:01 PM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

Wink

And if you're being really picky that aint a P1 it's a V3 or V4 STi
Old 11 February 2002, 08:13 PM
Great~taste~Bloke
Scooby Regular

Tried both last year and bought the p1 -better all rounder. Not much off the mitsu pace but has more grace (and better range).
Both lovely!
Old 11 February 2002, 08:30 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

Oh no, must....try...to...stop..the voices in my head...aaarrgh, battle lost....

I love scoobies and I've been in a few, I've owned a few and I'll probably own a few more but my loyalty changed at the 'ring'. I must have ridden in all types of scooby many times around this circuit but 2 cars stuck out in my memory. An EVO 6 and a Cossie.

Nurse, medication now, heeeelllppppp.

Yes, the Cossie of course was Mike Rainbirds so not the usual crap ford The EVO 6 was Steve's (dunno his last name)and this car was just the most fun I've had in a car since Mr Felsteads machine. He handled it pretty well and the car seemed to want to play as much as the driver. A real hoot The smile lasted ages.

Ahh, that's better, got my pills now.

Sanity has returned, so the upshot of this is that I would still own a scooby for all round every day useability and fun but I would love an EVO for just the trackday stuff.

Do I get drummed out of the tuffty club for this? Can I plead insanity?

F
Old 12 February 2002, 03:48 PM
springy
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all your replies... am still deciding! I fear that it will take a little while longer debating before I finally decide!
Performance aside.

What reg car of each of the above can I get for £20k? Does anyone know the annual running costs of a P1 or EVO excl. petrol based on about 10-12,000 miles? Sorry to ask this but I am sure it was something you took into consideration before buying the car!!

Thanks again

p

Si could you mail me where you went for that testdrive? Cheers!
Old 12 February 2002, 04:04 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Petoir,

Were you on the Caterham bypass (A22) on Saturday driving a Silver VI. I had a nice run up the bypass with this car (I was in an RB5). A happy wave and smile at the end when we went our seperate ways !!!
Old 12 February 2002, 05:27 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

IIRC Petoir said his Evo 6 is a Black TME.
Old 12 February 2002, 05:37 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I must learn to read !!!!
Old 12 February 2002, 06:06 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

P1 - Running costs, one service ~ 120 quid.

Discs will last 22k miles, thus n/a
Pads, should last over a year, not sure yet!
Tyres, again over a year, same costs for both cars!

Thats it, note the evo will need discs alot more often at 450 quid for a set of discs!!
Old 12 February 2002, 06:08 PM
Petoir
Scooby Regular

Scooby,

Weird! It wasn't me in the silver 6 - I have a Black TME, but that is my route home. Fabulous stretch of road....

Quick Reply: EVO VI vs P1