Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody successfully claimed for rear shocks outside their warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2008, 08:23 PM
GSWHITE
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody successfully claimed for rear shocks outside their warranty?

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to post on the site to see if anybody has successfully claimed for a new set of rear shocks outside their warranty.

I have a MY05 STi PPP that I took back to the dealer yesterday who confirmed the rear shocks have gone again, less than 14 months after they were last replaced .

However, the warranty has just run out.

The dealer has put in a goodwill claim but I wanted to have a bit of ammunition if Subaru come back and say that aren't willing to replace.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Old 28 September 2008, 08:38 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

I think its a disgrace mate less than 14 months and they have failed
Go back and kick off,I bet they change there minds then.A shock should last for years they must be a fault batch or something.After all they are meant to be supplying quality parts for quality cars not things that fail in the blink of an eye! Good luck any way. let us know how you get on.
Old 28 September 2008, 09:51 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would be interesting to hear the results if anyone has managed to do it, I bet there are quite a few owners out there with clonking rear struts out of warranty wondering the same thing, knowing how often these things seem to fail.
Old 28 September 2008, 10:12 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
I think its a disgrace mate less than 14 months and they have failed
Go back and kick off,I bet they change there minds then.A shock should last for years they must be a fault batch or something.After all they are meant to be supplying quality parts for quality cars not things that fail in the blink of an eye! Good luck any way. let us know how you get on.
Faulty batch???? Only if that batch was a batch of about 1,000,000 LOL!

Common fault on numerous newage STIs - had it on my MY03 (3 sets in 65K) and still happening on models sold 2 years later it would seem and for that there is no excuse.
Old 29 September 2008, 03:28 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Common fault on numerous newage STIs
... and WRXs!
Old 29 September 2008, 05:16 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Faulty batch???? Only if that batch was a batch of about 1,000,000 LOL!

Common fault on numerous newage STIs - had it on my MY03 (3 sets in 65K) and still happening on models sold 2 years later it would seem and for that there is no excuse.
I just don't get it if they have been supplying these shocks for a few years now they must have realized that they are *hit and people are coming back to them unhappy! I have had two replaced on mine (2006 STI.)
Do Subaru produce there own shocks or are they manufactured by others
Old 29 September 2008, 05:42 PM
the watchman
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

i got my 3rd replacement after the warranty had run out, however i had to contribute around 50% of the cost. local dealer tried to make me pay for another replacement when it went again. after a couple of nice letters direct to subaru customer care i got it replaced for free this was because i had previously contributed to the cost which meant the shocker carried a 3 year warranty. it is blatantly obvious that the rear shocks are "not fit for purpose" and i think subaru should have the ***** to admit there is a problem with these parts. by the way mine have gone again after only 9 months cant be bothered with getting subaru to replace them going to get a set of coilovers instead.
Old 29 September 2008, 08:10 PM
GSWHITE
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the response everyone.

It's good to know that somebody has got something out of them after the warranty has run out. The dealer did hint that they may come back with a 50% contribution.

I have been thinking about going down the coilover route aswell but didn't want to be forced into it purely because Subaru can't supply a product that is fit for purpose.

If anybody else has had any success it would be much appreciated if you could let me know.
Old 29 September 2008, 08:18 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

the problem in my eyes is that the main dealer cost is far from cheap, even only paying 50% of the cost is not far off the price of a certain group buy at the moment, plus is it going to happen again in 9-12 months? because their only going to replace them with the same shocks aren't they.

Aaron
Old 29 September 2008, 08:22 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

I had one fail last year which I had to pay for as it was well and truly out of warranty. It had again when I took it for service at carnetix again, the dealer they got their parts from informed us that all subaru parts had a 3 year warrenty, so got it replaced for nothing. So I think a lot has to do with the dealer and how willing they are to claiming back off IM.

Jase
Old 29 September 2008, 08:56 PM
GSWHITE
Scooby Newbie

the problem in my eyes is that the main dealer cost is far from cheap, even only paying 50% of the cost.

My Point exactly and one that i'm quite willing to argue if it does go this way!
Old 30 September 2008, 11:09 PM
STi_Si
Scooby Regular

Tried and failed on my old MY02 STi, I blame the dealer though, not Subaru themselves....
Old 01 October 2008, 12:21 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

I'm not in the legal profession but I am fairly certain that your situation is covered by the "Fit for Purpose" approach.

I KNOW that there is an issue with Rear shockers as I had both mine replaced a couple of weeks ago (26K) There are a lot of faulty shocks out there - I did have extended warranty so that made things easier but Mr X of B@ld0ck Subaru did say that it was a known problem - the shocks are not fit for purpose, they should last waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than they have been.

Fight it -
Old 01 October 2008, 08:20 AM
Mike1609
Scooby Newbie

I tried and failed a couple of months ago - Subaru (UK) were having none of it.

My car is a 54 plate (MY05) WRX with the revised inverted struts. Dealer diagnosed rear strut knocking, put in a warranty request - Subaru declined to even go 50/50 as the car was 8 months out of warranty despite my car having a full dealer service history and only having covered 10k miles from new.

Old 01 October 2008, 12:57 PM
GSWHITE
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for eveybody's replies,

The latest update is that the dealer has come back and confirmed that as above Subaru are not willing to make any contribution to the replacement.

I think that a call to customer services to demonstrate my displeasure is due!!
Old 01 October 2008, 01:26 PM
EAndy
Scooby Regular

What about setting up a thread of people who have had faulty shocks, must be hundreds (myself included) and then present that to Subaru and say look here is 3,000 members who have had there shocks go wrong.

My car is on it's 3rd set... and they're sh*t and passenger side is clonking!

3 sets in 38,000 miles over 4 years of normal road driving yet my misses in her French Clio can surpass 100,000 miles over 8 years and have no issues?

Jap Reliability 0 - 1 French Cr*p
Old 01 October 2008, 02:13 PM
the watchman
Scooby Regular

i started one a couple of months ago - didnt generate much interest or comments. what about threatening them with a top gear expose, suppose we could even try fifth gear.
Old 01 October 2008, 02:16 PM
the watchman
Scooby Regular

just gone back & found my original post

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...bers-list.html