ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

OHMIGAWD!

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2001, 12:43 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm OK - although I have wrenched my neck a bit (the braking force, in the wet is still staggering).

The kids were young - under ten at a guess. The driver was a woman and I was being generous in that she could have been in shock which was why she was driving so badly. She should have stopped immediately tho - I mean there was a layby where she had her incident and almost caused carnage.

A close one tho'!!!!!!!!!

R
Old 22 January 2001, 12:52 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Incompetent or intoxicated, should have reported it.

Had you not been so attentive what would the headlines read...Children injured in collision with Speeding Subaru?? or maybe worse.

007 for the masses, read a numberplate at the required distance and pick up a license to kill!

Friday there was a Disco travelling towards me in the middle of the road, driver couldn't bothered to clear ice off the screen. It was so bad you couldn't see if there was anyone behind the wheel! Better than that a neighbour drove into his wifes car for the same reason.

Today rush hour on the '62 = 40mph if you're lucky. Mist/light rain three bloody accidents. Speed Kills my Rs.
Old 22 January 2001, 12:53 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear you survived that one (relatively) unscathed, Rannoch! I know it's real heart in the mouth stuff having had similar experiences (and three times having experienced drivers coming TOWARDS me on my side of a dual carriageway [twice] and motorway [once]. Scary.

How DO you phone the Police in that circumstance? Not 999, surely, 'cos I wouldn't think it merits tying up an Emergency service line, but is there a National "report a dangerous driver" number?

Brian
Old 22 January 2001, 12:56 AM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

Wink

I a hero yesterday - a woman (sure thats in no way signifant ) had rolled her Fourtrac into a ditch. I don't know how she did it, but help get her out etc etc - what a hero
Old 22 January 2001, 12:59 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

In those circumstances, a 999 call would have been perfectly acceptable as she could be endangering life/other peoples lives.
Everyone thinks that there has to have been an incident to call 999, its not so, if you can prevent one by ringing 999 then all the better

Tony
Old 22 January 2001, 10:44 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

So, there I was last night, single carriageway, behind a couple of cars doing 40mph (slightly foggy, 60 limit).

Come to a short section of dual, over a slight rise, plenty of room, off we go.

Get to top of crest to find myself, purely by reaction slamming the anchors. My brain cannot process what is happening ahead and it is a large BLACK (as in black cat, in a black night in a coal celler) MPV that is executing a THREE POINT TURN in the fast lane of the dual carriageway. As I approach it is straddling the fast lane at 90 deg to the direction of the road, no headlights, no hazard warnings. Had they spun, had they come down the dual the wrong direction? Who knows.

It was full of kids - which were staring wide eyed out of the window as I travelled directly toward them!

Thanks to AP and Bridgestone S02 I stopped with a safe margin (with poorer tyres it would have been carnage).

MPV then drives off in the correct direction with me following for about three miles. During this time it ran into the verge, bounced off the kerb a couple of times, very nearly hit a central island and eventually turned off.

Nightmare, kids, carnage!!!!! What can I say?

R

[This message has been edited by Rannoch (edited 22 January 2001).]
Old 22 January 2001, 10:48 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Angry

Hmmmm, if that was me i would have called the police there and then, driver was obviously drunk or just incapable of driving ! a total danger to themselves, and worse of all, their kids and every other road user !
Old 22 January 2001, 10:56 AM
Mulder
Scooby Regular

Does sound like the driver was drunk, you should have got his plate and informed the police.

People like that should be hung drawn and quartered.
Old 22 January 2001, 11:21 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Angry

Blimey!

Glad your ok....that must of been serious heart in the mouth stuff.

Driver sounds drunk in all fairness or not in control of the MPV....perhaps you should report it as this idiot could of caused an accident last night and not been aware of it!

How old were the kids? Joyriders spring to mind

Ro
Old 22 January 2001, 11:54 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Glad you're ok.

Did you get the plate? Definitely worth telling the police about this - even if after the fact.
Old 22 January 2001, 05:24 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Angry

Get on the 'phone!

999 are happy to deal with this type of call, i've phoned it before for almost exactly the same situation, Nova SR going wrong way round a roundabout, hit kerb etc etc, followed at a distance and had the satisfaction of seeing him caught. could hardly stand when he got out of the car... to55er.:angry:

Owain McRae.

Old 22 January 2001, 07:49 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Post something similar a little while ago one of the replies i think it was Stuart (not to sure so don't quote me ) said phone 999 they wont mind you ringing on a mobile and they will probably ask you to follow vehicle at a safe distance until they arrive.

Si