Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Door Handles On Classic Impreza, how to?

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2008, 01:41 PM
michael_jenkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Door Handles On Classic Impreza, how to?

Hello,

Just booked the car in for some spraying, including the door handles. The quote was based on removing the handles! ARGGGHH!!

Anyone help me? Is it hard? is there a photo guide etc?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 16 September 2008, 05:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not difficult. Takes about half an hour to do the first, 20 minutes to do the second, and ten minutes thereafter.

Remove doorcard. (Do a search for how to, on here).

Pull away the plastic membrane from inside the dooraround the handle area, (outide handle, not inside). Work carefully, ease the glue and it can be reused, try NOT to rip the membrane.

Look up inside the door at the inside of the handle. It's held by two bolts, which you undo and remove.

You should also see a plastic clip which transfers the up and down motion of the door handle to a series of levers that operate the latch/lock. On my classic the clip was green. Check orientation, then the rods are eased out of the clip, which has open jaws, and the clip placed somewhere safe.
DO NOT LOSE IT!

The handle now lifts off from the outside.

On mine, I removed and retained for refitting, the plastic it sits in on the door, I don't think it'll spray anyway.

Clean the handle in warm water, detergent and use an old toothbrush, set aside to dry.

On mine, I was able to remove rubber bump stops, etc, and refit them after spraying.

HTH, Alcazar
Old 16 September 2008, 06:34 PM
michael_jenkins
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, I'll have a go at it and let you know how I get on. Do you know if taking the handles out may affect my Toad/Clifford and starting the car? I'm just a little concerened about taking them out, turning the key to take it to the garage, and nothing happening!!

Cheers!
Old 21 September 2008, 10:39 PM
michael_jenkins
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Not difficult. Takes about half an hour to do the first, 20 minutes to do the second, and ten minutes thereafter.

Remove doorcard. (Do a search for how to, on here).

Pull away the plastic membrane from inside the dooraround the handle area, (outide handle, not inside). Work carefully, ease the glue and it can be reused, try NOT to rip the membrane.

Look up inside the door at the inside of the handle. It's held by two bolts, which you undo and remove.

You should also see a plastic clip which transfers the up and down motion of the door handle to a series of levers that operate the latch/lock. On my classic the clip was green. Check orientation, then the rods are eased out of the clip, which has open jaws, and the clip placed somewhere safe.
DO NOT LOSE IT!

The handle now lifts off from the outside.

On mine, I removed and retained for refitting, the plastic it sits in on the door, I don't think it'll spray anyway.

Clean the handle in warm water, detergent and use an old toothbrush, set aside to dry.

On mine, I was able to remove rubber bump stops, etc, and refit them after spraying.

HTH, Alcazar
Thanks for this, got them out today, and you're right! they're easy! did find the rears slightly difficult to unbolt as one of the nuts is hidden behind the latch mechanism, if you remove the 3 large headed screws from the inside of the door and shift it down a bit, there is enough room to get a socket in there.

I'll let you know what they look like when they are all sprayed up (and how easy it was to get them back in!!)

Thanks again!