ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Locking Wheelnuts

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2001, 06:01 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Don't know if anyone has seen this months 'What Car' magazine, but they did a test on the locking wheelnuts fitted as standard on most new cars. Bad news is that 85 - 90% failed the test, with most locking nuts being removed within 1 minute (the Scoob wasn't too bad averaging 51 secs for each nut - still not bloody good enough though).

What they didn't do though, was take the test to its logical conclusion and test some aftermarket locking wheelnuts to see if they were any better. So my question is - 'Have you replaced the standard locking wheel nuts?' If so, what make were they?

Cheers

Chris
Old 20 January 2001, 06:25 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Chris

I have fitted two different sets of locking wheel nuts to my Scoob (call me paranoid ).
One set I bought from a dealer (from your comments I would like to know if these are the same (apparently cack) ones that normally come as standard) The 2nd set I purchased when changing to 17's. Dont know the make however, but the wheelnut is round with a wavy groove inside that for the key to mate up with. I think this is a good design, better than the other set (3 holes in the middle of the nut)
Old 20 January 2001, 08:14 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hehe,

Funny this thread should appear today!! I went to have my tyres replaced this morning only to find that I'd somehow -very unusually for me- misplaced my locking wheel nut last time I replaced my rear pads!

So rather than continue with bald tyres and faff about looking for the "key" which I couldn't find anywhere, I asked them if they could get them off easily enough! To my total shock it took less than 10 seconds each one to remove! I can't believe how useless and truly ineffective they are! I won't say on here how they came off but suffice to say it was extremely simple....so although they do indeed serve as a deteerent to an opportunist thief, a pro will have them off in seconds!

Real eye opener,

Nito
Old 20 January 2001, 08:37 PM
Bernmc2
Scooby Regular

Typical cr4p WhatCar article - tell you that the things don't work, but don't give any details. They mention something about the shape of the hole for the wheelnut being as important as the nut itself, so it may be that whatever you fit to the scoobs, they won't do much good. Where's that tame Police-Person chap - does he have any suggestions?
Old 20 January 2001, 08:59 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nito

That's what prompted me to have a look at the article I had some nice new alloys and S02 PPs put on today and I didn't really want my investment disappearing with such apparent ease. If anyone has any recommendations I would be very interested to hear them.

Cheers
Chris
Old 21 January 2001, 07:04 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Just sending this one to the top again. If anyone has any info / recommendations, I would appreciate it.

thanks

Chris
Old 21 January 2001, 08:47 PM
YOUNG GED
Scooby Regular

Hi

Don't know how good they are but I got a set of McGard ones for mine when I got my new wheels.I think they are the ones someone has mentioned above with the wavey patteren in the top of the nut.The guy at Deemon Tweeks recomended them over the ones I used to have as he seemed to think the others could be removed fairly easily.

Hope this helps

Chris
Old 21 January 2001, 09:06 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Chris - that's the sort of thing I was looking for. I'll give DT a call tomorrow.

Cheers

Chris
Old 21 January 2001, 11:03 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Er Chris,

It's the wavey pattern ones that I had!! Seriously though, they'll all be as useless as the next if someone who knows what they are doing wants them! Buy a set of any as it will put off the oportunist thief...best advice is to use common sense...don't leave it somewhere dodgy if you can help it!!

Nito
Old 21 January 2001, 11:11 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Yeah I know Nito - just trying to make it a little more difficult. I mostly work in Ascot (is that classed as a dodgy area? ).I'll see how much they want for them.

Cheers
Chris
Old 21 January 2001, 11:20 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Another idea may be to make sure that your alarm has a tilt sensor: if the car is jacked up to remove the wheels the alarm goes off, the sigma alarm fitted to most uk cars doesn't, but for about £100 you can get an add on tilt sensor from clifford, cheaper than a new set of alloys, and should put the nasty thieving scum off towing your pride and joy away on the back of trailer or low loader.
Andy W
Old 22 January 2001, 01:34 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Thumbs up

Chris

Sorry this is a bit late but I'm sure the Mcgard type are the ones that I've got, Scoobysport sold me them - I'm sure you've got their number

Not too sure how good they are but they don't stick out, hence are harder to remove than others....but as mentioned earlier if they really want them....

Justin
Old 22 January 2001, 01:56 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Justin

I'll give them a ring.

Chris
Old 22 January 2001, 01:58 PM
Ade
Scooby Regular

Question

I take it that it's not adviseable to use more than two locking nuts per wheel?

Something to do with not being able to tighten them up as much as regular nuts?