Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK v WRX (again...)

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2001, 12:14 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had a UK MY98 bought new and an STI5 Type R bought new.

Difference is enormous but can be summarised like this - the STI is a faster, more focused, harder car which is more rewarding to drive quickly but is less forgiving of mistakes.

UK spec cars are 10 a penny whereas a 2 door STI is still quite rare.

Insurance on the UK spec for me was about £800 whereas for the STI it has been £1300-1400.

If you run the UK spec on SUL then running costs will be similar to those of the STI.

Warranties on the STI are not as good as with the UK spec IMO. I had problems with the warranty company refusing to pay for my 2nd gearbox rebuild in order to cure the common 4th/5th gear synchro problem.

All in all you have to balance the advantages and disadvantages of the 2. If you are going to be doing a reasonable amount of miles and are bothered about selling on a high mileage car then I'd say go for a UK spec and get some mild tuning done on it. If you're most concerned with driving dynamics and having a smile on your face go for the STI. Try to find a low mileage, fairly standard 1 owner car which has been imported from new. With either choice you'll be well chuffed.

Chris.
Old 18 January 2001, 11:18 AM
btr
Scooby Newbie

Question

You've probably had this question before (and I have read the FAQ) but can anyone who has owned a UK and a WRX give me some more help in choosing between the two?

I know the WRX is faster, but is there a bigger turbo lag?

How much worse on petrol is the WRX?

Finally, did you find it hard to get parts for a WRX?

Thanks
Old 18 January 2001, 11:30 AM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

Go for the wrx for these reasons:
i/better speced car
ii/ quicker car
iii/ they look after their cars better in Japan
iiii/ lower miles in most cases
iv/ they have been run on better fuel
v/ they are quicker

you pay a bit more on insurance but hey.. they are quicker and the parts are easily sourced and you have a wealth of knowledge right here...... did u know that they are quicker?
Stu (Sti4)
Old 18 January 2001, 11:47 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Stronger pistons (Jap cars don't have theirs made of chocolate like the UK spec cars)
Stronger gearboxes

I think Stef has "consumed" a number of g/boxes.
I'm on :-
piston set #2 (Cosworth set in now)
gearbox #2
Clutch #3
turbo #2

Its a UK94 with 55K.
Totally rebuilt in the last year. Infact there isn't much under the bonnet which isn't new.

Wheel bearings have lasted the distance though
errr thats about it

However saying all that it probably would have all lasted the life of the car had I not had people play with the boost / fuelling and engine etc.
Used for Hillclimbing as well as a roadcar so it hasn't had a quiet life over the last 3 years.

Do I wish I'd had an STi WRX Type RRrrrRR from the outset ? ....Errr Yes

Mark
Old 18 January 2001, 03:15 PM
Bernmc2
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Or buy a P1 and get the best of both worlds!

(Did I mention that I'm about to sell mine? ;-))
Old 18 January 2001, 08:16 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have just completed running in my MY00 WRX type RA "classic" shape. I previously had a MY98 UK. The two cars are completely different. The MY00 is higher specification and performance difference is massive IMHO. The downside is that no Subaru warranty and backup.

Fuel economy is worse but I reckon thats due to the low ratio type RA gearbox (WRX around 20 - UK around 23 both run on 97 SUL and the WRX on booster as well).

The upside of the low ratios is that is the lag is almost removed.

Pays your money .......

Both cars you need to find a good one and find someone to look after it for you if it an import.

cheers

chrisp

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 18 January 2001).]
Old 18 January 2001, 10:49 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
btr,

flame suit on.

I keep hearing that WRX's are faster etc etc. Personally, from numerous drives across the country with lots of other cars, UK, STI's, 22b, P1 etc, I don't see that much difference. Mine is a Std UK car(engine) with improved suspension and brakes plus top tyres. Most can't keep up !! The biggest difference is the driver, unless of course your preferred roads are dual carraigeways/motorways!
Personally, you'll have a "quicker" car on B roads by spending £1500 on a good brake kit than by worrying about an extra 30 - 40 bhp. To give you an example - Had a blast a while back down a dual carraigeway with a Saphire Cossie - He was resonably quicker than me, pulled out about 5 car lengths before he started braking, I braked about 150yds later. I was round the roundabout and gone before he had entered it.

Steve.

Trending Topics

Old 19 January 2001, 01:20 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SteveB:
<B>btr,

flame suit on.

I keep hearing that WRX's are faster etc etc. Personally, from numerous drives across the country with lots of other cars, UK, STI's, 22b, P1 etc, I don't see that much difference. Mine is a Std UK car(engine) with improved suspension and brakes plus top tyres. Most can't keep up !! The biggest difference is the driver, unless of course your preferred roads are dual carraigeways/motorways!
Personally, you'll have a "quicker" car on B roads by spending £1500 on a good brake kit than by worrying about an extra 30 - 40 bhp. To give you an example - Had a blast a while back down a dual carraigeway with a Saphire Cossie - He was resonably quicker than me, pulled out about 5 car lengths before he started braking, I braked about 150yds later. I was round the roundabout and gone before he had entered it.

Steve.[/quote]

Fair enough Steve and I know what you are saying but are you telling me that with the same mods on both cars (brakes, tyres, suspension etc.) you wouldnt be quicker with an extra 60 bhp.

cheers

chris

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 19 January 2001).]
Old 19 January 2001, 06:06 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

I have also found the speed difference to be a lot smaller than I thought it would be.I did a track day at Oulton in October and was very suprised to find that the imports,P1s and Mitsubisi evos could only pull 1/2 to one car length on me down the straights,some did not get away at all.(The Caterham R500 pulled half a straight,now thats what I call fast)

By comparision getting a corner slightly wrong would see you lose 5-6 car lengths, get your braking wrong and the other car just dissapears

I think a lot of the reason the low geared cars feel so fast from the inside is down to how fast the engine spins to the red line.

PS they are both great you can't go wrong.
Old 19 January 2001, 06:48 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

btr

I was in your position a month ago. UK or import ? I have opted for import because spec is usually higher. I now have a WRX STi Version 4. Insurance slightly higher but as yet to find any major difference in fuel costs (not putting foot down until more familiar with car). What I can say is that I have never had such a car before & have already kicked myself for not getting a scooby sooner.

As for parts there is numerous outlets who will supply & fit parts for imports.

Andy.

Old 19 January 2001, 08:06 PM
Tyson
Scooby Regular

Cool

Don't forget depreciation (hidden cost)in the equation when comparing "running" costs. Not sure how this compares for std UK v import, but mine is bad (apparently) as there has been much speculation on the bbs about P1's.

However, 20-25 mpg with SUL at 84p/ltr. is a bargain in comparison. Cheers me up every time a fill up is due

Not driven a std UK car, but the 280BHP engine is just superb.
Old 19 January 2001, 09:10 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Cool

Steve/
There was one 22B that managed to keep up with us.
Old 19 January 2001, 09:32 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Bob,

Think that was the only one!!

Chris,
I agree. Still think that a good driver in a UK car will easily be faster than a average one in a 300+ bhp STI.

Steve.
Old 20 January 2001, 02:36 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SteveB:
<B>Chris,
I agree. Still think that a good driver in a UK car will easily be faster than a average one in a 300+ bhp STI.

Steve.[/quote]

Steve,

Spot on - I am that average driver, so I need all the help I can get just to keep up .

Cheers

Chris
Old 21 January 2001, 02:23 AM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

chris,

Come on the Exmoor on the 27th.

Steve.
Old 21 January 2001, 01:52 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Make that the 28th. Still in a muddle Steve?
Old 21 January 2001, 09:11 PM
MattC
Scooby Regular

Here in the States we don't have STi's, so do us proud and get yourself a nice Type R.

MattC