ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Baby Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2008, 10:43 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby Seats

I have just found out we are expecting our first child and have been looking at baby seats. (bit early I know)
I have a MY97 STI Classic which doesn't have the ISOFIX system.
What make of seats do you guys use in classics? Recaro Britax etc?

Is the ISOFIX system much more secure in a crash than using the belts on such a soft foam seat? if so has anybody installed the ISOFIX system into a classic by welding the brackets in from a different car (don’t worry this will be done properly)
Would rather do this than end up with a badly fitting seat
Old 08 September 2008, 11:32 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Doesn't anybody have a classic and a baby
Old 08 September 2008, 11:38 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

My mate just bought two of these.

http://www.kiddy.de/gb/infinity-pro

if it doesn't come up in English click Sprachauswahl on the bottom of the page and select GB.

they are supposed to be one of the best seats on the current market, surpassing all the tests thrown at it, including crash tests from TÜV and ADAC.

It also is friendlier on the kid in an impact over a 5 point seat belt type, due to the impact cushion system it has.

I had it in my MY00 Classic yesterday and it fits easily and securely. It is also not as fidely to install as the current baby seats.

However if you look at the price of them they are not cheap from that site, however Amazon.de are selling them for around €130 each.

The only real problem is they are for 9 mths upwards. but take a look at what else they have to offer.

They also come with a 1 year accident insurance free, where if you are involved in an accident they will replace the seat FOC.

I will be getting one for my mates baby in England aswell.

HTH.

Steve

Last edited by Wurzel; 08 September 2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08 September 2008, 11:44 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Bog Standard Maxi Cosi Cabriofix

Maxi-Cosi products - gb-en
Old 08 September 2008, 11:51 AM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Have an 03 with isofix so can't help you on the fitment, but the Maxi Cosi came top in crash tests done by Which? magazine. They had a video of the crash tests of the difference seats but it's only available if you have a subscription so I can't link to it (sign up for a 30 day free then cancel!)

The isofix makes it very easy to fit etc, but the seat can be used with a seatbelt as well (both systems supported by the same seat). I find the maxi cosi excellent (and it fits onto our Quinny pushchair).

Just a note that I'm sure you already know - a newborn has to have a rear facing seat.
Old 08 September 2008, 12:28 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

You may have an issue with newborn ones, which are good for up to about 3-4 months, as they are quite long. It's worth doing a test with your front seats in the normal position to see if a seat fits OK.

Most of the newborn ones have a carrying handle, which folds forwards (towards the front of the car/babies head) when in the car making them a bit longer. You can see in the pic of the Cabriofix one above.

Once they are in the front facing ones they will be fine.
Old 08 September 2008, 01:25 PM
ahar
Scooby Regular

The maxi cosi fits in the rear seats (just) of the 03 WRX - not sure if the classic is smaller for the back passenger?

Forgot to mention - the maxi cosi covers babies up until 13kg at which point they are ready for a forward facing seat. For comparison our 3 month old is slighly above the average weight gain curve for a newborn and is 7kg - so still some way to go in the seat! It has lots of adjustable slots for the belts and a removeable cushion so you can convert it as the baby gets bigger.

Last edited by ahar; 08 September 2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08 September 2008, 03:12 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

We're also expecting and we bought a maxi cosi (in blue of course to match my interior ......sad fker) and as said this clips onto our pram (quinny buzz) as far as I'm aware the isofix makes it easier to clip in an out rather than safer ..... this of course may be wrong but that's what I was told!
Old 08 September 2008, 03:46 PM
superstar1
BANNED

Don't put a baby in your car, i've heard terrible stories about these things being sick and ****ting all over, you don't want to risk that in your car. If i were you i'd buy the missus a push bike and get a child seat put on the back of that. And as for the baby on board sticker, just remove it and replace with a beer mat, much more informative.
Old 08 September 2008, 04:13 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

They puke ...... she didn't fking tell me that ... biatch .... I'm sending it back and cancelling the deal!
Old 08 September 2008, 04:32 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PantsUK
They puke ...... she didn't fking tell me that ... biatch .... I'm sending it back and cancelling the deal!
Yep invest in some blankets for the seats, trust me on this !!!

My 53WRX had a hint of febreeze for sometime after one bad incident
Old 08 September 2008, 05:18 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I have a maxi cosi isofix in my 03sti, this can also be used in non isofix cars like my wifes old st170.
You really need to go to toys r us and try as many as you can in the car cos it's very vehicle dependant even using the isofix fittings like my 03.
Glad I got the isofix even though my wifes car did not have mountings at the time.
Old 08 September 2008, 07:08 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys
Mine will be under strict instructions not to puke or sh*t in or near the car blankets will be on the list to be safe

I cant go to a Toys r Us Mothercare etc as I am in France and the shops nr us don’t have a large choice. If I can find out what people are using in classics will be the best way of me finding out what will fit etc and I will order one from the net.
Old 08 September 2008, 07:15 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by escott
You may have an issue with newborn ones, which are good for up to about 3-4 months, as they are quite long. It's worth doing a test with your front seats in the normal position to see if a seat fits OK.

Most of the newborn ones have a carrying handle, which folds forwards (towards the front of the car/babies head) when in the car making them a bit longer. You can see in the pic of the Cabriofix one above.

They are a fair size, no way I can have the baby seat behind me driving, even the mrs struggles (classic wagon) Funnily enough though there's more space for the newborn rear facing seats in a saloon than a wagon.
Old 08 September 2008, 07:19 PM
ScoobTypeR
Scooby Regular

Dont get a recaro.. theyre really bad quality and are solid... Not comfy..

I bought my son a red ferrari one
Old 08 September 2008, 07:23 PM
superstar1
BANNED

Originally Posted by jameswrx
They are a fair size, no way I can have the baby seat behind me driving, even the mrs struggles (classic wagon) Funnily enough though there's more space for the newborn rear facing seats in a saloon than a wagon.
So you got a wagon, can't believe how some of you people can't think for yourselves, the solution is simple....... strap the child seat to the roof rails, it's a no brainer, but don't forget to stick some of that protective film to the roof for when the little blighter starts kicking because it's going to get excited when you excelerate to 100mph plus.
Old 08 September 2008, 07:31 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobTypeR
Dont get a recaro.. theyre really bad quality and are solid... Not comfy..

I bought my son a red ferrari one
Which Recaro model are you talking about?
I have been looking at a Recaro because of the reputation they have (wife likes the looks) anybody else tried/got one? Which models?

No roof bars on mine so thats a no go lol
Old 08 September 2008, 07:37 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Jane Plus, as advertised in TG Mag. Got one for the grandson who's now 4. Top quality, head, shoulder and hip guards. It will last him until he's 11.

Less than 100 notes on the Bay!
Old 08 September 2008, 09:07 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by escott

You can only use the front seat if the air bag can be switched off (asuming your car has them)

Many congratulations - hope everything goes well. Do not get too het up on getting a seat for your Scooby. Your wife will soon have the scoob sold for a bigger car.........
Old 08 September 2008, 09:09 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had any problems with my Brittax First Class. Still using it infact
Old 08 September 2008, 09:44 PM
IMPORTPETE
Scooby Regular

got a michelin one think its made by britax though looks really comfy and good quality quite pricey though but its worth spending a bit and getting a good one then again they dont last 2 minutes our little lad is 2 and nearly ready for the next size up again.
Old 08 September 2008, 09:54 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

I had a mamas and papas travel system for my newborn. Ok because we got the surefix base aswell but useless without as the seatbelt just isnt long enough in the back, something to watch out for. Plus the passenger has to sit on the dash. I don't think you could get isofix welded in though it just wouldn't be safe.
Old 08 September 2008, 09:54 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Congrats first of all mate. Enjoy it.

I have a classic and a Bugeye STi mate. We brought the silvercross 3d travel system first the first 6-8months for my son. The seat fitted better in the classic than it did in the bugeye mate.

When it comes to forward facing seats best bet mate is to take it to a MOTHERCARE World or alike and try the seats out.

Depending upon what one you go for I'd use a small cloth or alike for the bottom of the seat and the rear as they tend to mark the seats a little where there in place all the time.

I'm a firm believer in spending that little bit more on car seats and so forth mate. But we brought a spare one as we look after my neice during the week also.

Wait until the little one gets bigger and able to walk etc. My car is used to having hand prints over the fresh wax and dirty footprints on the seats and make sure you check what gear its in before you pull off unlike I did (twice).

Enjoy the times ahead mate. Its great.

Steve
Old 08 September 2008, 10:54 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

If you live anywhere near in Peterborough they have a kiddicare superstore (in fact the only one I think>>???)

It on 3 floors each one about the size of a mothercare ITS FECKING HUGE .... I dont like shopping and my missus loves it there it's her mecca my nightmare but they do have everything so at least we don't go shop to shop!
Old 09 September 2008, 10:35 AM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

As long as the seat is well fitted, there's not difference in levels of safety between ISOFIX and using the seatbelt as anchorage. Worth looking into publications of independant tests on each of the seats to sort a good one.

Remember you practically have to get in the child seat itself to squash it down enough in the car to ensure there is no movement when secruing it. If the seat can't move, its well secure.