ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

scooby insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2008, 05:20 PM
smogsy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scooby insurance?

hi, im new to this forum havnt got a scooby yet but going to get 1 as soon as i can afford the insurance. i currently have a 106 quicksilver. i checked out insurance for a 1998 impreza wrx for next year when ill be 20 on my mums name with 3 years no claims on moneysupermarket.com and the cheapest was around £5000!!!!!!! is there anyone who knows if i could get it cheaper anywhere else? thanks, dan.
Old 06 September 2008, 05:23 PM
bigdog666
Scooby Regular

hi, you could try keith michaels, but not sure if your too young, worth calling though, im 31 with 6 points & mine is 795 a year, so whoever you go to it aint gonna be cheap
Old 06 September 2008, 05:33 PM
scoobydavid3463
Scooby Regular

Default insurance

hi normally uv got 2 be around 30 for a import but im 45 6points £350 with mods from norwich union quoted very happy on a 98 v5 type R
Old 06 September 2008, 05:46 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by smogsy
hi, im new to this forum havnt got a scooby yet but going to get 1 as soon as i can afford the insurance. i currently have a 106 quicksilver. i checked out insurance for a 1998 impreza wrx for next year when ill be 20 on my mums name with 3 years no claims on moneysupermarket.com and the cheapest was around £5000!!!!!!! is there anyone who knows if i could get it cheaper anywhere else? thanks, dan.
1. Welcome to Scoobynet
2. Look at UK turbo's as they are group 17 and not 20 like the imports.
3. On your mums name? As in she will insure it and you will be a named driver? Don't do it unless she will be driving it more so than yourself, as it's an insurance scam and they will not pay out in a claim. If you can't afford to insure one in your own name (maybe with parents as named drivers on YOUR policy), you are neither mature enough to buy a Scoob or well enough off financially. Sorry, but if your are incinuating to defraud possible insurers... winds people up.

Good luck anyway dude, but seriously, look into getting a UK turbo 2000.
Old 06 September 2008, 05:50 PM
smogsy
Scooby Newbie

thanks will try them i wouldnt mind paying around £2000 but dunno if ill get it that cheap if not im going to have to get a starlet glanza v my mates got one he spent a couple of thousand on it and he recons he can keep up with scoobys upto past 100mph he beat a porsche the other day tho there s**t inside tho !
Old 06 September 2008, 05:52 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

thanks will try them i wouldnt mind paying around £2000 but dunno if ill get it that cheap if not im going to have to get a starlet glanza v my mates got one he spent a couple of thousand on it and he recons he can keep up with scoobys upto past 100mph he beat a porsche the other day tho there s**t inside tho !
How many years no claims will you have mate when you hit 20?

When I was 21 3 years ago, E-Car insured me on a 99 UK turbo for £1750 fully comp. This was in my own name, no extra drivers, no ncb, 9 months driving experience etc etc. Bloody good deal I thought.
Old 06 September 2008, 05:55 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

hey mate keith micheals would be a good idea IF you was 22 lol, had same problem as u, although i was waitin till i was 21 rather than 20, imports may be that much faster but u will pay the huge amount of buyin a decent one, then gettin high price insurance and also an impreza is not a cheap car to run with it doing around 250 miles per tank and you must fill it with optimax or better if it is not converted for uk fuel, i pay 1500 per yr with my father as second driver but he does have like 9 years ncd, o i have a uk turbo as well which when i first started driving them are more than cerficiant, although i am buying a blobeye sti but that is mainly for the less miles and newer age. Good luck with it all though.
Old 06 September 2008, 05:57 PM
smogsy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
How many years no claims will you have mate when you hit 20?

When I was 21 3 years ago, E-Car insured me on a 99 UK turbo for £1750 fully comp. This was in my own name, no extra drivers, no ncb, 9 months driving experience etc etc. Bloody good deal I thought.
ill have 3 years no claims bonus but on my mums name and wouldve been driving for 3 years will have to try them thanks mate, dan.
Old 06 September 2008, 06:00 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

ill have 3 years no claims bonus but on my mums name and wouldve been driving for 3 years will have to try them thanks mate, dan.
So the car will not be in your name then? I.e. it will be insured by your mum with you merely a named driver?
Old 06 September 2008, 06:03 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

20 year old insured under mums name on an Impreza isn't something Keith Michaels would be able to do
Old 06 September 2008, 06:03 PM
smogsy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
So the car will not be in your name then? I.e. it will be insured by your mum with you merely a named driver?
yeah sorry i mean my mum will have 3 years no claims with me as a named driver do you know if my mum would be able to pass them no claims onto me?
Old 06 September 2008, 06:05 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
20 year old insured under mums name on an Impreza isn't something Keith Michaels would be able to do
Is that because the insurance

is ILLEGAL
is VOID

Mr Moulson

Seriously, if you can't afford the insurance in your own name, buy another car for christ sake. I dread to think how many drivers out there in Scoobs and other cars think because they are a named driver on a policy they sre covered 100%

I don't mean to sound harsh, but what your thinking of doing will be an almighty **** up if the police or indeed your insurers find out your scamming the system. Others have been caught and its easy enough to loose your license these days without dodgy insurance dude. I really (and hope others would too) advise you to look at what your proposing and realise that it works both ways.

Example, say you crashed into someone, and police insurers realise pretty quickly the car is yours, but the insurance fiddles. No payout for yourself, and the other party involved needs to take you to court as your an uninsured driver (policy being void).

Or, if someone crashes into you, you won't get a penny either as your insurance is void, so the other parties insurers have a way out of paying for you, as you have deliberatley lied to your insurers. See what I mean.

As said earlier good luck anyways.

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 06 September 2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Added text and description of the point I was putting across
Old 06 September 2008, 06:15 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
How about 21 with 4 years no claims(1 of them being on my subaru - UK Turbo Terzo)? I'm really getting hacked of with the company i'm with this year, as they've bumped the price up several times this year for very minor/petty reasons: one of them being a private plate transfer that had a ridiculous admin fee. My renewal is in December, and i'll be in touch.

To the original poster - Don't bother with a WRX. Look for a mint UK turbo! Obviously being a UK car they are cheaper to insure to start with: group 17.

Chocolate O Brian - The policy wouldn't be void if the car was registered to his mother. That is one way of doing it. Not my thing though, I have to say.

Alan

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 06 September 2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06 September 2008, 06:25 PM
shaggy and
Scooby Regular

gocompare/confused.com

As above it will be expensive no matter what you do...
Old 06 September 2008, 06:29 PM
Fatneck73
Scooby Regular

So who would you guys recommend for me - just brought an 05 wrx, standard, tracker fitted, full ncb - been driving 15 years, now 35 yrs old.
Old 06 September 2008, 06:57 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

well im 20 on my own policy in my name so is car 2yrs ncb jap import wrx 3084 a year mate cheapest i cud find.i wouldnt go under ur mums name if you cant afford it go for a sport or a diff car until you can jumping from a 106 to one of these is maybe a bit of a big step
Old 06 September 2008, 07:18 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

yeah sorry i mean my mum will have 3 years no claims with me as a named driver do you know if my mum would be able to pass them no claims onto me?
So you actually have no "no claims discount"?

Your mum cannot transfer her no claims discount to you, I would suggest you keep the 106 for a couple of years and get a policy in your own name and start earning some no claims for yourself
Old 06 September 2008, 08:06 PM
El Cat
Scooby Regular

im only a named driver on my scoob
insured in my wifes name
but then she drives it more than me as i am just about to get a company car
only timei really drive it is at weekends to go to footy!
Old 06 September 2008, 08:18 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by El Cat
im only a named driver on my scoob
insured in my wifes name
but then she drives it more than me as i am just about to get a company car
only timei really drive it is at weekends to go to footy!
Nowt wrong with that as you are using the car for its intended purpose, i.e. a shared car, you and your Mrs. It's the guys who buy a £3k Scoob then get mummy/daddy to insure it in their name (knowing damn well parents will never drive it) and then drive it themselves thinking they are covered, when they are um... not
Old 06 September 2008, 08:29 PM
El Cat
Scooby Regular

i did write one off insured like that and all was fine but the policy stated that we both use it approx 50% of the time each i used to take it tow prk on mondays and fridays as the missus used to do approx 50 miles those days and i only did 25 and she used it tuesday weds and thurs, just so we werent going thru too much fuel!!
plus she has8 years no claims and i only have 5 and she is older
but its all done properly!
Old 06 September 2008, 09:33 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatneck73
So who would you guys recommend for me - just brought an 05 wrx, standard, tracker fitted, full ncb - been driving 15 years, now 35 yrs old.
I got a good premium from Performance Direct (and they even made me aware of the huge differences that voluntary excesses make which not a lot of others did). Do a search on scoobynet as there are plenty of threads on this same topic.
Old 06 September 2008, 09:44 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

many years ago Lancaster insurance got me a good deal
as did elephant insurance
Old 07 September 2008, 10:25 AM
itn
Scooby Newbie

Talking insurance

try privalige but dont know if ur age will affect you with them . i av an sti u.k but im 45 wiv 6 years plus no claims bouns know its a bit different 2 ur circumstances but i pay 480 all in and thats fully comp sorry 4 rubbing it in but ur age will hurt ya good luck in ur search fella.
Old 07 September 2008, 10:41 AM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by itn
try privalige but dont know if ur age will affect you with them . i av an sti u.k but im 45 wiv 6 years plus no claims bouns know its a bit different 2 ur circumstances but i pay 480 all in and thats fully comp sorry 4 rubbing it in but ur age will hurt ya good luck in ur search fella.
Privilege were by far the cheapest for me this year, A plan couldn't get anywhere near their quote. I'm 32 driving a UK '99 Turbo 2000 and I paid £350fully comp, that includes an at fault claim 3 years ago.