Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two lanes into one - Was I wrong

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2002, 01:51 PM
mark.coleman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, travelling back form Colchester and come to the end of a dual carriageway. I notice that the exit straight over the roundabout it reduced back to single lane and there are exits left and right off the roundabout.

I approach the roundabout in the righthand lane, I know I want to go straight across and let the driver beside me have prefference. I filter in behind this driver and some w@nker behind them decides they don't like this and goes into flashing, fingers up and verbal abuse mode.

Now, my understanding is that what I did was OK. I didn't try to cut anyone up deliberately and he didn't get pi$$ed until he realised I wanted to go straight over the roundabout.

I did offer him the slam the ankers on and the customary pull over if you wish for a friendly chat, but he declined the offer and pulled back.

Maybe by the highway book I did something wrong, or maybe he was just a complete tw@t and thought I could not see him because I had a bigger spoiler than him.

Didn't wind me up too much, must have been the thought of getting in the front door to a screaming baby.

Anyway, have a good un.

Mark
Old 08 February 2002, 01:57 PM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

Try this on-line Highway Code: [link]http://www.roads.dtlr.gov.uk/roadsafety/hc/[/link]

IIRC, you're entitled to use either lane to go straight on at a roundabout, even if it becomes one lane. Let it be a lesson though - cut ahead of everyone and get away quick
Old 08 February 2002, 03:19 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Arrow

Get the same problem every day after work with that situation.

Generally people around here use the left lane for going straight across. Some people use the right hand land and try to cut in front of a queue of traffic that may be formed in the left lane.

Tends to get very heated although it would seem there is no right or wrong.
Old 08 February 2002, 03:21 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Normally I don't care but if there is a distinct queue and this is just a queue jumping opportunity I get a bit upset - especially if the "quicker" lane is marked as not going in the same direction as everybody else.

Unless of course it's me doing the queue jumping

(That last line was tongue in cheek, so no flaming!! )
Old 08 February 2002, 03:41 PM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

IIRC from a previous thread which I replied/started:

In the highway code the diagram shows the car going straight on in the left hand lane, the car in the right hand lane is going round to the right. This is definately how I was taught, so I'd be inclined to say you were in the wrong.

I get this every day on roundabouts crossing Anderson Drive. Funny how the folks that use the right hand lane to jump the queues can always use the correct lanes on the next roundabout.

I used to get really worked up, now just try and beat them to the exit. Let a UR Quattro through in front of me earlier in the week, respect for the elderly.

Mike.
Old 08 February 2002, 03:57 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Using both left and right lanes ok. Although using the right hand one is classed as cheeky.

A number of times there's been a huge queue in the left hand land of a R'bout and a much smaller one on the right hand side. I'd use the right hand side one, but be prepared to go all the way around if you can't safely pull in without cutting anyone up. If I do have to go all the way round i've still made up time, and paid penance for my cheekyness.

If in doubt stay left, if you know you can safely pull in(the left hand car indicating and showing signs of going left) then use the right hand lane.
Old 08 February 2002, 04:15 PM
NumptyScrub
Scooby Regular

How about a roundabout with 2 exits, one left and one "straight on". Two lanes coming up to the roundabout, so I've always assumed (and most traffic seems to agree with my assumption) that the left lane was first exit (major through road), the right lane second exit or all the way round.

And I still get flashed and sworn at when someone in the left lane (ie next to me) decides to carry on all the way round. About once a week I end up going all the way round again just to avoid an RTA with a car on my left that wants the second exit.

Another classic is the "cant be bothered steering"... have you ever been on the right (and behind) of someone round a roundabout and noticed them aiming for the edge of the roundabout, ie. going straight across instead of following the curve and leaving a lane for you to occupy with your vehicle. That actually gets me quite annoyed, as several times I've had to brake to stop them forcing my car into the kerb and causing an RTA.

Derek
Old 08 February 2002, 04:17 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Wink

There are two lanes off the roundabout so you can use either lane on the approach.

If there's one lane off then you need to time the gap well.....

Gordo
Old 08 February 2002, 04:21 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Just use the right hand lane and go all the way round...that seems to upset a few people
Old 08 February 2002, 04:26 PM
ChrisB

http://www.roads.dtlr.gov.uk/roadsafety/hc/8.htm

When taking the first exit

signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking any intermediate exit

select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout, signaling where necessary
stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking the last exit or going full circle

signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

Derek, you're not the only one. The number of people who drive the corner rather than driving their lane is unreal. I've developed a sixth sense for people on the inside of me who will chop right across to clip the apex on the island and go straight on.

I had an old women turn right from the inside lane on a four exit roundabout on the other day.
Old 08 February 2002, 04:41 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

When I took my test (a good few years ago), the rule for going straight on was to use the left hand lane unless there were arrows directing you otherwise. It looks like the Highway Code has softened the rules a bit over the years.
Old 08 February 2002, 04:43 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

It's the cheesy ****-ends that sit in the left-hand lane knowing their taking the last exit that really get's on my nipple-end. They even have the cheek to speed-up, trying to stop anyone getting in front of them before the exit.

Stefan
Old 08 February 2002, 04:58 PM
900t16Aero
Scooby Regular

You can use the right hand lane to go straight across but YOU have to give way to the left hand lane.The left hand lane has precidence for turning left and straight across, so i would say use the right hand lane only if you are going to be able to get out of the way of the car on the inside lane.
Therefore if you cut the car on the inside lane up you are responsible!
Pete.
Old 08 February 2002, 05:23 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Mark
I have to admit that when I took my test I was told that you get in the left lane to go straight ahead unless the road was otherwise marked. Then again people still think that the national speed limit is 50mph, times change and it all goes to support the argument that drivers should be re-tested from time to time.

Did this actually happen in Colchester?
The reason I ask is that Colchester's roads have been designed and subsequently re-designed by a group of little gnomes who smoke crack (IMHO) the dual bits are constantly changing to single then back again which totally screws the traffic flow, there are empty bus lanes that you have to travel twice as far to avoid and the gnomes are trying to ban cars altogether in town (that's the bit right at the top of the bleedin great hill).
As a local (we'll have no trouble here etc..) I get a little pi55ed by people who know the roads are going to narrow but overtake anyway to avoid a two car queue, but at the end of the day it really isn't worth the bother of an on road confrontation (getting stabbed etc..) You've got a quick car, just speed up and ignore the other bloke (unless it's one of the local boy racers in which case you might have trouble.....que the usual corsa bashing rant)

Take it easy
Dave
Old 08 February 2002, 06:21 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

As far as I know you are required to give priority to traffic coming from your right.
Old 08 February 2002, 08:36 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

OK, so how about this, go up right hand lane, thereby avoiding sitting in the queue of cars going straight on, but go 360 degrees round the roundabout and go off what was the original 'straight on' exit.

Perfectly legal, people in LH queue have to give way to you. Very cheeky though

Never done it myself
Old 08 February 2002, 09:25 PM
scooby555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nobody....I'll repeat NOBODY overtakes me on a roundabout

Especially when I'm in me truck !!!!!