ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

hawkeye sti - prodrive springs ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2008, 09:45 PM
dtc555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hawkeye sti - prodrive springs ride quality

I've got a 2006 hawkeye sti ppp. I bought it with 18" prodrive rb320 alloys and prodrive spring kit and 'fast road' geometry set up.

Been really really pleased with the car and the handling (very planted, excellent turn in etc) and the slightly lowered look. Having had the car for a few months now though, I am a bit disappointed with the bouncy ride when cruising. I've had 2 imprezas and an Evo MR before and never had a problem. Even my wife has commented! The suspension seems to need a bit more damping somehow.

Any other hawkeye owners with the same issue?

Is there anything I can do? What r my options? Do i have to compromise the handling? Should I go back to standard STI springs and lose that planted feel (ideally not).

Interested in your thoughts. Thanks.
Clarkey
Old 23 August 2008, 10:54 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

How do you mean "bouncy"? The ride is a bit harsher with the prodrive springs but nothing too extreme considering the handling improvement. I am only on 17" wheels as opposed to 18" mind you.

You could try adjustable ARBs and uprated droplinks to improve things further I suppose.
Old 25 August 2008, 09:23 PM
dtc555
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Mikkel
How do you mean "bouncy"? The ride is a bit harsher with the prodrive springs but nothing too extreme considering the handling improvement. I am only on 17" wheels as opposed to 18" mind you.

You could try adjustable ARBs and uprated droplinks to improve things further I suppose.
Sorry,yeh, by bouncy i mean it seems to accentuate every dip in the road. Not the rough imperfections in the tarmac, but the 'dips and drops' at higher speeds seem to be multiplied out so you really notice them. Anyone else agree? Maybe it's me getting older

Apart from that, the handling is superb and a big improvement over stock.

Clarkey
Old 25 August 2008, 09:32 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

I know exactly what you mean. Mine is still on the original STi springs etc, but can be bouncy. I though maybe the prodrive springs/setup would sort it, but maybe not.
Old 25 August 2008, 10:50 PM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

Yep. Know exactly what you mean. My hawkeye is lowered on Tein springs as opposed to Prodrive, and like you say, on really crappy roads the car feels very bouncy... my girlF says this alot to me.

It can be annoying sometimes, but that's the sacrifice you got to make I suppose for a firmer ride with better handling, not to mention better looks.
I wouldn't go back to standard springs.
Old 27 August 2008, 08:47 PM
dtc555
Scooby Newbie

I think this all sums it up nicely, nice one. I'm sticking with the firm and very grippy ride thanks!