Sponsored by:

Sport Ownership & Norfolk Dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2001, 08:04 PM
The Woodman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As I’m “Scooby Newbie” and not just new to the BBS, I’ve only picked the Scooby up today I thought I’d better test the water and see if you guys can help?

Firstly I am a ’99 2.0 Sport owner (I bow down to all you Turbo owners) and it’s a 5dr one at that, in Deep Blue Mica. I’ve been told that this paint marks easily (even the seller mentioned this!) If this is so, how should I look after it??

The second question is improvement? I would say on first impressions that 16” wheels and 50section tyres would be the first thing to do and maybe combined with a slight drop in ride height? It has got superb grip, but feels a bit woolly because of the body roll. Is there anyone who has done anything of the sort – maybe fitted std Turbo wheels? The other thing that gets me is there’s a nice engine burble in there somewhere, but it’s strangled. Dealers have offered WR Sport box at £300 – any good??

Third question (sorry to be a pain)… Which is the better/most helpful dealer in Norfolk – TNS at Downham or Greenways of Norwich. I’m equidistant between the two?

Many thanks,

Graham the woodman
Old 16 January 2001, 08:22 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Wink

Don't be embarrassed - they're better than most people give them credit for.

I've no idea about Norfolk dealers?

John Felstead is the man to tell you about improvements I think. Shame there's no search facility now because this has come up before.

Moss
Old 16 January 2001, 09:17 PM
Simon West
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Graham (The Woodman)
Welcome to the BBS from a fellow Sport owner.
I've got 16" Speedlines fitted to my car along with suspension off a std. UK turbo. Lowers ride height a bit plus stiffens up suspension. Ask around...I got my suspension free from local dealer just had to pay for fitting.....£175...(eek!!) Many dealers have susp. 'kicking around' from people who have had Prodrive upgrade.
For backbox read ScoobySport..completely transforms sound of car....around £300. My only complaint is the increase in noise in car...can be very 'droney' on Mways.
Another good investment is front Turbo seats, much better than std. Sport items. Got mine for around £400 new.

Hope this helps.
Simon
Old 16 January 2001, 09:21 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Wahey wagon boy greetings and welcome to the insanity that is scoobynet Congratulations on your choice of motor enjoy it all you can.......
Rich
MY97 Wagon Turbo
Old 16 January 2001, 09:24 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

I've a MY98 Sport. I have the Turbo 16" wheels with bridgestone SO2 PP tyres. Thats the only mods on my car and it's bloody quick accross country.

Do what i have done and you wont be disapointed.
Old 16 January 2001, 09:32 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

I've got exactly the same model as you. 5 drs and dark blue mica. Scoobynet has a lot to answer for because I'm now going to trade it in for a turbo.

be warned. it'll happen sooner than you think.

saying that - the 5dr sport is not a bad deal. It's alright. gets to about 119mph (measured with GPS) and has the funky low ratio gearbox - try it at the lights one day and you'll be in 5th in about 5 seconds!

I have scratched up the front dam - ice and snow in scotland last winter (+ going too fast) - it's going in for a front dam respray shortly... it handles bloody well except for braking which is a bit iffy.

I get 300 miles per 9/10 of a tank which is OK too. the tank is 50ltrs compared to the big brother turbo of 60 ltrs.

rapiddescent
Old 16 January 2001, 11:40 PM
sport special
Scooby Regular

Talking

Fellow sport drivers

"300 miles per tank"

Yea right, worst i get 175 best is 240.

Re-map the ecu feel the difference more torque. 350 plus vat

Fitted a scooby sport bb. Get around 128mph compared to 118 standard. worth 334. Just a pitty it is a bit too loud. I am glad i live near some quiet B roads

It will be another couple of months b4 we can get the de cat from scooby sport.

Cant wait

Paul

Gettin a turbo bonnet so you wont no the difference

Trending Topics

Old 17 January 2001, 08:16 AM
darren f
Scooby Regular

Woodman,

Welcome to Scoobynet and he wonderful world of Scoob ownership- I've e-mailed you off-line re: Norfolk dealers

darren
Old 17 January 2001, 08:43 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Woodman

Welcome.

For your paintwork - see the Wax Wizard.
Old 17 January 2001, 12:02 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

i have never seen more than 240 miles/tank.

i have seen 132MPH on the speedo on 16" wheels on the rev limiter in 5th.

The sport is very under rated, every turbo driver who sits in my car is astonished at how fast it goes, especially round corners.
Old 17 January 2001, 01:01 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Hello Graham,
I have a mate who has a set of gold (Catalunya) 16" wheels with Bridgestone S02 tyres that he will let go for £300. They are absolutely mint. You would have to collect them (Gt Yarmouth). E-mail me if you want his number.

With regard to the Norfolk Dealer, the owner of Greenways is a complete nobber. The customer service (or lack of) that Paul got with his car (purchased second hand through them at £16.5k) defies belief. He is so peeved off that he won't go back there - it is not something you expect to have to deal with having spent that kind of money. Even the threat of telling IM had no affect on the owner's attitude (which was arrogant to say the least).
Regards
Mike R
Old 17 January 2001, 01:27 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Hi Garaham,

Can't comment on Norfolk dealers, as I am in Cheshire.My experience of the Scooby dealer network here is far from top class to say the least.

Just wanted to say hello from a fellow Sport owner (MY98 Reddish Blue.No mods, I'm afraid).
It's good to know there are more of us out there.

Cheers
Steve
Old 17 January 2001, 01:44 PM
Iain
Scooby Regular

Talking

It's a Sportfest,

I'm a '97 sport saloon owner( reddish blue). Not done any mods, but do want to get a nice set of gold alloys.

Unfortunately my rear bumper and a very small wall met over the new year. So for anyone that doesn't know, the natural colour of you're bumper is white ;-)
Hopefully get it in for a respray over the next couple of months.
Old 17 January 2001, 01:47 PM
GMAY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Graham,

I've also got a MY99 5-door mica blue Sport. Very happy with it. I've done several mods, starting with the most important - a Scoobysport backbox! The engine revs more freely and certainly picks up above 4000 RPM when accelerating hard(which I occasionaly indulge in)and of course the luuverly base beat noise (even if there is some resonance at 70-75 mph - a 5 door trait). The other mods are 16" ex-P1 gold wheels with RE 010 tyres, Eibach springs (lowers car by 30mm), ITG panel filter, EBC kevlar pads, Goodrich stainless steel break hoses, Sparco strut brace, Pivot shift light and Prewoodec aluminium effect dash kit. Yes, I love my Sport!!

Grahame
Old 17 January 2001, 05:51 PM
The Woodman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Many thanks for the replies - v. useful, particularly the dealer comments via email.

Are there any other Norfolk Scooby owners with views on the local dealers?

Old 17 January 2001, 06:44 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

You'll often find 16 inch wheels for sale by people who've upgraded to 17's, Often they've only got a few hundered miles on them, worth considering.
Old 19 January 2001, 06:58 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

Just poped in my head i have made more mods than i listed, just forgot LOL

I have the scoobysport cibie light conversion, brake support braket, Xenon uprated bulbs.

The lights make a big diference to you night time speed, the brake support braket adds a lot to the feel of the brakes.

The S02's made the biggest diference to the car, great tyres.