Advise needed - long one (sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2002, 05:33 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Err were do i start.............

I have had some four months or so of trouble getting an engine rebuild and some bodywork done on my VR6 highline, after the said cowboy garage had finshed with it it has come back with fekked ABS, fekked bushes, front suspension etc...

I cant prove the A1 condition it was in this before i took it too the garage in question but to cut a long story short, after forking out £2k on an engine i have just been quoted by VW another £1800 to put all the new problems right !!

Going through the courts will take forever and be very hard to win given my evidence. So this is all but out of the window, however do i now, try to sell the ltd (1,000 made) edition car as is with no MOT and £1800 worth of repairs or do i spend another £2k and risk still only getting silly money, and A1 spec car is worth £9.5k according to parkers with 50k on it. Will the engine rebuild count agaisnt me, as it currently has only 1,000 new miles on it and most of the work the VW centre are talking about is suspension related if i have it done would this make the car a true A1 copy or just an overpriced wanabee...???

I want to sell her and buy a scoob but i dont want to leave myself short on what options do to only getting silly mney on the golf !!

Any opinion's, ideas and general advice greatfully accepted

Cheers all
Old 07 February 2002, 06:44 PM
imatrukahs
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Gutted for you mate....What did the original garage say about your complaints?I am assuming they had to take the said items off,but could they not have been worn,or was it assembled incorrectly?

Anyway its a difficult one,i personally would.......wouldnt..hell i can honestly say i cant answer what i would do!!
Old 07 February 2002, 07:54 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Bad news mate.....

If it were me I'd cut my losses and take a pill on it before it gets worse (if possible), then buy a £50 banger and drive it straight through their building. Garages like that make me sick......

Either way.... Good luck in your decision

Nath
Old 07 February 2002, 08:32 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Which VW dealer was it Franchise or not, what did they say,you say etc. Post all the details for all to see.

Most dealers when they report work go for things that are required (urgent) and things that can wait for a year or so. Get the stuff that needs doing to get the car through the MOT only, Then flog the car back to their sales department. Chances are they won't know the history and will give resonable money.

All my opinion only.
Old 08 February 2002, 08:21 AM
Phill
Scooby Regular

I'll stick some more detail's up a bit later but just to say thanks to everyone and i'm quite likely to just get it MOT'ed and out of the way.........I think ......perhaps the £50 banger idea hmmmmmmmmm

Cheers

Phill
Old 08 February 2002, 08:34 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well a £50 banger on a separate insurance policy... then you just have to declare that you had an accident on your proper policy at renewal time and no effect on your no claims.... mean while you get the car upto 90mph..
what am I saying.....

Sorry please excuse me...

Nice idea but I think it might be classed as very illegal... probably less than what they have done...

I am assuming that the car don't drive correctly and it is not VW just finding things that are on there way out rather than actually gone?
Had a couple of cars which the dealers have said a number of things were wrong with them, drove fine, take it to a trusted independent garage who say that half the stuff is fine. Thankfully Subaru have not been the same.

Don't see how rebuilding the engine could have effected the ABs etc unless they have swapped bits over with another car or they rebuilt the car in the first two weeks or so and then drove around in it.. do you know how many miles the car did whilst they had it?

Sounds like with out evidence it is going to be difficult, but going to a small claims court shouldn't be too expensive and they might think twice about doing this to someone else. Not that helps you mind.

I wouldn't be worried about a car that has had work done on it as not being original, if it is replacing parts like suspension etc.. if it was a respray in different colours etc then that might effect it.

Good luck

JGM