driving to paris

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2008, 07:15 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving to paris

hi

looking at driving scoob to euro disney from lancashire, has anyone got any idea on rough fuel costs, what id need to take, if french police hate subaru's

thanks in advance
Old 18 August 2008, 08:16 PM
Neil XR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i drove from glasgow to pecorade which is about 80km from spanish border

used 6-7 tanks of fuel for nearly 2500 miles, no hassle from police or anything

just a good driving experience
Old 18 August 2008, 09:05 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I've never been stopped by French Police in any of my Imprezas. Had quite a few waves / flashes from other brands, you don't see any over there. As far as fuel goes, You're looking at 3.5 hours if you keep to the speed limit. You need a warning triangle, spare bulbs headlamp adjusters and GB sticker. Possession of a Road Angel or similar in your car is an offence which carries an on the spot fine of around 700 Euros. The Autoroutes are great if you want to get from A to B quickly. If I remember correctly, last year the Payages cost around 30 Euros, Calais to 30 miles North of Paris. Most garages sell Super too. Bob
Old 18 August 2008, 09:45 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
I've never been stopped by French Police in any of my Imprezas. Had quite a few waves / flashes from other brands, you don't see any over there. As far as fuel goes, You're looking at 3.5 hours if you keep to the speed limit. You need a warning triangle, spare bulbs headlamp adjusters and GB sticker. Possession of a Road Angel or similar in your car is an offence which carries an on the spot fine of around 700 Euros. The Autoroutes are great if you want to get from A to B quickly. If I remember correctly, last year the Payages cost around 30 Euros, Calais to 30 miles North of Paris. Most garages sell Super too. Bob
top advice, how much are the headlamp covertors and do thos gb stickers peel off?
Old 18 August 2008, 09:53 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_wrx
top advice, how much are the headlamp covertors and do thos gb stickers peel off?
I've always found removing the headlamp convertors a pain - but I use a magnetic GB sticker - Halfords sell them
Old 18 August 2008, 10:06 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

if there stocked by halfords are they ripspeed
Old 18 August 2008, 10:14 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

You also need reflective vests in France now the £1 shop can help you out
The French will stare at you not many Imprezas around here mine gets a lot of attention but the cops do have them in some areas.
If your speeding doing anything wrong the Police/Gandarms will jump on you just like anybody else and on the spot fines too so carry some cash with you. If you want to go quick keep off the motorways and main roads and use the twisties they are much more fun anyway and 98ron can be had in most small towns and supermarkets

If your plates have GB on them you dont need the stickers.
Old 18 August 2008, 10:43 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

yeh ill rob a few vests from work the speed on mways is 110km aint it? ill be fine
Old 18 August 2008, 10:49 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_wrx
yeh ill rob a few vests from work the speed on mways is 110km aint it? ill be fine
130km if its dry on the main motorways will have signs telling when. 110 if not posted

Last edited by rbaz; 18 August 2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 18 August 2008, 10:52 PM
MrLouKnee
Scooby Regular

they have dry and wet speeds in france...130kmph in the dry, thinks its 110kmph in the wet

but its not like driving here, the french indicate and pull out, if youre in the way...tuff

Last edited by MrLouKnee; 18 August 2008 at 10:54 PM. Reason: oops
Old 18 August 2008, 11:11 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

get a high vis vest and a triangle

cain it
Old 18 August 2008, 11:13 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrLouKnee
they have dry and wet speeds in france...130kmph in the dry, thinks its 110kmph in the wet

but its not like driving here, the french indicate and pull out, if youre in the way...tuff
Yeah 110 in the wet but there are signs clearly showing you where that applies.
The French (nr the cities in my experience) do indicate and pull out on you on mways to overtake if not to close and going reasonable speed but you can do the same its just expected the faster car slows down and it works no flashing and fingering they pull back in very quickly too and away you go.
Old 19 August 2008, 08:41 AM
scarey
Scooby Regular

if you wear prescription glasses for driving you now also have to have a spare pair in the car, and sunglasses don't count
Old 19 August 2008, 09:21 AM
room 512
Scooby Regular

I can echo the fact that you get plenty of attention from the locals in France. Just got back from 2 weeks in Normandy and the number of times we got back to the car to find groups of people looking around it was amazing. Even got a wave and thumbs up from a guy in a golf while we were stuck in a traffic jam. Saw 2 French scoobs while over there and both were quick to wave and flash lights at us.
Old 19 August 2008, 09:51 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Watch for open gates on the side of the auto-route that the police use to gain access.

Open one usually means speed trap coming up.

Variable speed limits in wet and dry, plus reduced speed limits by road intersections.

Otherwise have fun (nice smooth tarmac!!)
Old 19 August 2008, 09:56 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

European Driving : AA touring tips. Local rules and advice for European countries - The AA
Old 19 August 2008, 01:47 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Neil XR
just a good driving experience

You mean those straight flat motorways....that are so quite that it just makes you want to go on forever... the drive to Belgiun then to the ring was awsome...

The thing i hate about the french Motorways was the charges...(TaX)...but for the quality of roads you cant really complain...
Old 19 August 2008, 02:14 PM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Theres a bit more info here:
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...el-france.html

I got back a week ago - did about 1200 miles and spent about £250 on fuel. Not keen on the peages and fuels about the same as here. But the roads are excellent - their country lanes are better than our main roads and they even have an autoroute traffic forecast.

I was warned of the reaction to the Scoob and didn't quite believe it -it got to a point where I wanted them to stop staring. Saying that I didn't see another Impreza for two weeks.
Old 19 August 2008, 03:59 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

ive been to france a few times, never had a issue with the feds there and ive been with the impreza twice

speeding is a worry but the stories you hear are usually the lemans weekends tbh

roads are pukka though has to be said
Old 20 August 2008, 05:20 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

be wary of the motorway gates/tolls in france, they time how long it takes you to get from one to the other ..... my mate got done a couple of years ago 90 euro on the spot fine.

Also last year we drove to Switzerland for some RC racing, 700 miles the other side of calais, 250 miles on a tank for a scoob, roughly three tanks!
Old 20 August 2008, 05:38 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by IainMilford
be wary of the motorway gates/tolls in france, they time how long it takes you to get from one to the other ..... my mate got done a couple of years ago 90 euro on the spot fine.

Also last year we drove to Switzerland for some RC racing, 700 miles the other side of calais, 250 miles on a tank for a scoob, roughly three tanks!
They got my brother once...but a fine is still better then points...
Old 20 August 2008, 08:55 PM
Neil XR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IainMilford

used the toll roads and there is no time on the ticket you recieve from the first booth as went from Nantes to bourdoux in record time going home

not even stopped once i n france by any for of police, but did have the police at the door in france as wanted to see a subaru and hear the noise from the exhaust