Sponsored by:

New UK STi Road Fund License?

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2002, 10:08 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As I understand new cars are taxed based on emmissions they produce. I presume the STi (and WRX for that matter) pays the top whack of £160 (or is it higher than this?) due to it's emmissions.

Does anyone know what the Government is likely to do in the future, e.g. Emmissions that fall into this bracket will be inflated by 10% each year in the same way they had the fuel escalator. I can see in five to ten years such cars costing ridiculous figures of £500 (at todays prices) just for RFL.

If this is the case then I'll just keep my MY00 and run full decat and effectively stick two fingers up at the government as it avoids the emmissions RFL.

Any Comments?

Damian.
Old 07 February 2002, 12:05 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Yeh - and the cops are going to start testing emissions a lot more now that the tax law is based around them....

So your gonna get two fingered up the jacksee by the Plod if you get caught

Jza
Old 07 February 2002, 12:19 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

£155 for top rate at the mo. £160 for cars that are too old to fall into an emissions category.
Old 07 February 2002, 12:27 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Best stop de-cating those MY01/02s.
Old 07 February 2002, 01:29 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Is this a joke? Is it like on the spot testing or do you get 7 days to bring it in?
Old 07 February 2002, 01:53 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

FreeT, it's on the spot......

However, there is a very useful point of law you can use in this situation. Basically, the Police cannot "inspect" your vehicle without your permission, the exception being if it is clearly dangerous (e.g. bald tyres, leaking brake fluid etc.).

So if you get stopped for an emmissions test, you say "it's not convenient for you to inspect my vehicle right now and I would like to arrange an appointment for you to come and check my vehicle later".

They won't like it but if you're firm, they can't do anything about it (but they probably will give you a hard time). Of course, then you arrange the viewing at a location miles away (think of a friend you could go and visit at the other end of the country) and they will have to send someone from their constabulary to do the viewing - do you think they'll have time/be able to spare that person?

Matt
Old 07 February 2002, 04:26 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

matt..

Good point - but they arent muppets...

If your car sounds like a rally-car, they make a note and then when it gets checked and it no longer sounds like rally car they charge you for perverting the course of justice or something like that.

Happens on Bikes all the time. You think you can just change that racing exhaust.... but they note down things.. and your buggered.

£1000 fine - set to increase as of april for cars over what they are supposed to be.. not sure if it counts for "older" cars though.

Jza

Trending Topics

Old 07 February 2002, 05:47 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I'm assuming it will be like the VDRS (vehicle defect rectification scheme).

This works alongside the fixed penalty scheme. Lets say for example, your back lights weren't working and you were pulled. Now technically, you should get a ticket for them, as not having lights could be dangerous. That's a £30 fixed penalty, OR you could argue the point and go to court and risk a bigger fine should you be found guilty.

The VDRS scheme works like this. We nice bobbies think "it would be a shame to give such a nice lad with a nice car a £30 fine for something that a) he wasn't aware of and b) he could possibly fix in a jiffy" so a scheme was introduced where the public got 14 days to fix the fault. When the fault is fixed, they take the car, and the form they got at the time of the stop, to an MOT registered garage where the form is stamped verifing the car as roadworthy. This form is then sent off, as per a fixed penalty, and if the form is stamped correctly and in time, then no further action. If no form, or no stamp, then summons time, cos we don't like people taking the **** when they've had a fair chance.

I assume the emissions test will be like this. I think its a bit of a gray area at the moment. If the car can be checked in 2 minutes then I feel that you will be given no option. however, training police officers to use the kit could be costly and take people off the streets (flak jacket on) which I know a lot of you lot don't like that. So I think it would probably go along the lines of 14 days to produce your car.

The only downside I see is that if say the same officer stops you on several occasions, and each time you play the system and change the exhaust. Maybe then they'll lose their patience and report for summons directly?

I don't quite know the ins and outs, so please don't quote me on any of this. Its just my opinion on how it may be run.
Old 07 February 2002, 05:51 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Besides, it's subjective, it's the officers opinion that you have changed the exhaust, so what, big deal, they have to prove it....before and after noise readings....(which they can't take (well, not before anyway)).
Everyone seems pretty clued up about what the police can and can't do. You'll be surprised what powers we have, and will be getting a new one soon to immediately seize nuisance vehicles on the spot (now again, I've not been at work so I can't explain this one fully) - maybe this could be used on people? Be careful, we all hear the horror stories about the bad eggs, well this could become a tool for them.

Anyway - re recognising exhausts. THIS police officer knows the difference between a de-cat system and a standard system. Don't assume that we're all thick. Also, remember some exhausts have identifying marks and serial numbers which can be taken down and used. Also, digital cameras are becoming commonplace in police vehicles, with no processing fees they are value for money.

Again, just my opinion
Old 02 July 2002, 05:18 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jza,

I disagree, if you have a staight through system, sure it sounds loud but do you think the same officer is going to be making the visit? (anyway, I can't believe the visit will ever take place).

Besides, it's subjective, it's the officers opinion that you have changed the exhaust, so what, big deal, they have to prove it....before and after noise readings....(which they can't take (well, not before anyway)).

Anyway, a SS DP with an induction kit, with OE centre and SS BB is still going to sound reasonably loud but should scrape through the emissions test (as long as it's hot), there's no way they are going to be able to argue about the (subjective) difference (ITHO (In Their Honest Opinion )).

Just IMHO

Matt

P.S. AFAIK, a straight through SS system is still road legal noise wise (Pete???? isn't it?) so a system that's nearly as loud but with a CAT will still be reasonably loud...(to the untrained ear) I don't think they'd notice the difference (and they can't do a road test (I think), it'd have to be a static test (so less chance to hear it's full "potential"

[Edited by mutant_matt - 2/7/2002 5:22:34 PM]