Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MY01 - not selling - now there's a surprise!

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2001, 01:50 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to this month's Evo magazine, the new shape Impreza is, quote:'going down like a fart in a spacesuit' - most dealers have at least one available for immediate delivery, and most colours available in 3 weeks or so.
Has anyone actually bought one of these ugly mothers? Has anyone even seen one? I can honestly say I've never seen one on the road.
Subaru only have themselves to blame, not only have they made the new model ugly, but heavier and slower too. Then they had the sheer audacity to stick a WRX badge on it!
I mean... a WRX?...With 215bhp?...With it's reputation?...What WERE they thinking?
Old 11 January 2001, 01:55 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Not seen a single one on the road yet. Had a look at the silver one they have at Cheam Motors with another subaru owner just before christmas and I think it actually looks WORSE in the flesh. I think it looks far too chunky and high now (The lights didn't look too bad on the silver car). Guy I was with took it for a test drive with his wife (Has the scoob as a company car and it is up for renewal) and his verdict was the car was smoother and more refined but was not exciting anymore.
Old 11 January 2001, 01:58 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Test drove one on Saturday. Felt quite slow (even while currently driving a 85 Astra or a diesel A class)
Could have driven away in a WRX Blue 5 door there and then (subject to PDI). Another dealer quoted 4 weeks.
Old 11 January 2001, 02:03 PM
330sapp
Scooby Regular

I saw a post on here stating that the new scoobs 0-100 time was 20 seconds. If this is true then, combined with its hideous looks, how the hell do Subaru expect to get existing owners to upgrade to the new model?

Id love a Subaru and spent a lot of energy trying to persuade a mate to buy one (to no avail, he bought an MR2 in the end..hairdresser!!!) but I wouldnt even dream of considering buying a new one.
Looks like the scoobs going the way of the Golf GTI. Enjoy then while you can as it looks like the Scoobs had its day. Wonder what will be next? First the Cossy then the Scoob...mmmmmmm, cant wait for the next installment!! Evo perhaps?

bren
Old 11 January 2001, 02:16 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Cool

Seen two on the roads and not too bad.
Just been to local dealer and they have a burgundy demo model which I will try out soon.
Really not keen overall, but in blue with some nice alloys, exhaust and decent spoiler.....much better I think!

Any progress Pete!?

Jon
Old 11 January 2001, 02:36 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Smile

not seen any on the roads around me yet !

took one or a 20 min spin before xmas.

not bad, feels well planted and handles v well. it does feel slower but i dont think it really is that much cos the speedo was still going round quite quick ! you just dont get the shove in the back and the whistle when the turbo kicks in

apart from the lights i like the new body style. interior is ok but nothing that much better / special.

oh and those seats are terrible !!

still i am not sold on buying one yet to replace my MY00. maybe the STi later this year / early next ?

i think they are definitely going to struggle to sell many in the current car climate. price reductions by april on them ? !

steve
Old 11 January 2001, 02:41 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Wink

I flashed once and waved at a new 5 door as we converged.

The guy driving first looked surprised then started waving like a maniac.

"Oh my god, someone in a Subaru recognises my car!"

Shame.
Old 11 January 2001, 02:42 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not seen any on the roads around me here in Ireland yet ....and it doesnt suprise me after seeing one in the flesh for the first time at my local dealers last week Downright ugly..specially the front end
Back wasnt as bad as I thought it would be ...except for that spoiler
Must say tho....the inside was nicer than the old model but as far as I'm concerned that doesnt count for much
My brother & I both reckoned its only a matter of time b4 Subaru revamps the whole front end like ford did with the fiesta a number of times...
maybe then who knows ..
Old 11 January 2001, 02:46 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Well, they'd have to revamp the whole back end as well, because I think Daewoo want it back, not to mention Hyundai insisting on having their front end back
I cant believe what they did, I much prefer the "old" model, it looks like a rally car, instead of a city car.
Its certainly limited my choice of car when it comes to change, and you'll be happy to know, unless I see a few unique older models around, I wont be kicking tyres in those dealerships
Old 11 January 2001, 02:54 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Question

Seen one but didn't recognise it immediately.
Haven't driven one but only because I haven't yet enquired. I'm sure the Shark will sort me out when the time arises.
But I am waiting to see what the Prodrive effort will look like.
300bhp, twin headlights, 18in alloys and leather is a good start if you're listening Mr Wood.
Old 11 January 2001, 02:57 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Oh, and if you do say a run of 500 please keep it 500.
I'm not as good at counting as Sunil but 500 definitely is not 1000.
Oh, and bring the WR out straight away.
Don't want to buy one and then find out I can spend another few thousand on extra's either.
Got that. Cool.
Old 11 January 2001, 04:27 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I'm pretty sure I saw one a couple of weeks ago in Cheltenham, but it could have been a Corrola or something - I'm not entirely sure as it was driving towards me.

Agree with Bren, 0-100 20 seconds forget going the way of the Golf GTI they are going the way of the 'Fast' fords. Soon they'll remove the 4WD and Turbo and the Impreza will just be a 'warm' reps car (ala Ford Mundano ST200, Vectra V6 etc) Nice car, but not what I want.

Gary
Old 11 January 2001, 04:45 PM
Martin Cook
Scooby Regular

Smile

I saw one on the road this week in Kent, but it's the only one. Suprising since they've been out so long now.
Old 11 January 2001, 05:10 PM
stratman
Scooby Regular

Saw one a few weeks ago in Bolton. Almost missed it. It just blended in with the rest of the average Joe Public cars.

I am goinna keep my 'old shape' scoob forever cos i never get tired of looking back at it...and it drives and sounds like a rally car.

I think Subaru will have to make radical changes to it - not just a make over - to make it right for the European market
Old 11 January 2001, 06:03 PM
NeilR
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think it looks GREAT!

Only Kidding!

Saw one on the road in Swansea, turns out to be a demonstator. The driver looked a little embarissed, i think! He had a 'The Scream' mask on.

NeilR

Personally, The car would look better if the 'Im on Stilts' look was removed... and if given another 30Bhp or so. Im Sure Prodrive know this already.
Old 11 January 2001, 06:12 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Wink

lol @ Squizz

As it stands now the MY01 <I>is</I> kind of growing on me but as for buying one.....pah

Until they bring out a <B>standard</B> MY01 with the WRC headlight conversion/spoiler/2nd Bonnet scoop (the little inverted one on the front!! ) etc. etc. etc.....I don't really want to go near the thing!

Maybe one day they'll release the WRC car as a standard UK spec car...who knows...Pigs might fly

Kelvin

[This message has been edited by kelvin (edited 11 January 2001).]
Old 11 January 2001, 08:29 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Had a WRX follow me for a short distance on the way into work the other morning. It was still dark-ish, and I just noticed the scoop and thought "Scooby!".
Wasn't until it turned off that I noticed it was the new shape.

Also saw one on the RAC last year, and the car looks much bigger than the old model, perhaps partly due to the bigger wheels and more-obviously flared arched.

IMHO the scoob now looks more like a rep-mobile than a rally car!! (and would appear to drive like one too.)

Also saw a lorry load of new Imprezas heading up the M5 from Bristol on Wednesday, so garages are still taking delivery, even if they aren't selling!
Old 11 January 2001, 08:38 PM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

Wink

Followed what I thought was a Neon with a spoiler the other day.

Only it turned out to be the new WRX that someone had debadged.......too ashamed to be identified, perhaps?

I think that Subaru have definitely dropped the ball, and I just can't see how they are going to pick it up again.

Even if they manage to overcome all the emissions problems with the new STi (and that's by no means certain), I still wouldn't be tempted to buy one.

Still, I don't think it's just Subaru who are losing the plot. Just what were Mitsubishi thinking when they came up with the Evo VII. Let's just hope it drives better than it looks!

Andy.
Old 11 January 2001, 09:00 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

I've seen a WRX 5dr & a GX 5dr but in the showroom.

I personally like the look of the 5dr over the 4 & as a possible upgrade for PTMW! I could be very tempted BUT only with an STi version with waist spoiler. The Brembos would bang straight on (tho' I might look to an upgrade to 6 pots) & I would definately want to lower it - much too high (able to re-use the Leda?). Then I think we could be talking turkey

Convincing the wife is another matter
Old 11 January 2001, 09:04 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Cool

Itll need to be a special edition with more horsepower before I would consider the new one. Something looking like the new WRC will suffice.
Old 11 January 2001, 09:11 PM
HUNTY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just back from the Autosport Show.

Says something when Prodrive don't have a MY01 on their stand, just a P1 WR with gold wheels.

A Jap tuner has a STI 01 with a few bits on, apparantly its the first one in the UK.
The STI headlights look a lot better with the black background and projector lamps.

Kevin.
Old 11 January 2001, 09:43 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

I drove a MY01 last week ... drives like a dog ..... been geared up for mass European market ... they'll be bringing out a convertible next ....

Thank God I got mine when I did ... don't care that it's second hand ... makes mine worth more
Old 11 January 2001, 10:45 PM
Simon West
Scooby Regular

Cool

Apart from demo cars at the local dealer, I've not seen a single 01 model on the road. Are there none available yet or are people just not buying them. I have a MY97 Sport and am ready for a change. I've driven the new 2.0GX and the WRX and was hoping to see a few out on the road to see if the new shape grows on me. But as yet not seen a single one!
Old 11 January 2001, 10:59 PM
adge
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

I haven't seen one on the road yet although I've driven one. Had a test drive at my local dealers who I've had 2 off before, but I'll be sticking with my euro MY00 for a few years yet. Maybe when they bring out the STI with a decent rear spoiler, WRC Lights, lowered, 18" wheels and I can't by a decent MY00 then I might think about it.
Old 12 January 2001, 01:49 AM
Craig Mac
Scooby Regular

Question

What are those orange reflectors on the wings in aid of ??
I'm informed by the dealer that "white reflectors will be available to buy to replace the orange ones". The demo car they had was hidden in a compound. They were embarassed to have it on show, I think !
(And rightly so-it is an ugly piece of kit).
Well I suppose apart from the lights and rear wing it's not too bad. It will be interesting to see some of the styling mods people make-if anyone has the ***** to buy one.....................
Old 12 January 2001, 09:19 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

NASTY NASTY NASTY NASTY
Old 12 January 2001, 12:38 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I've seen two on the road now and looked at one MY01 at a dealers. I haven't yet driven one. I have to say that my MY00 is a wonderful car and I get a buzz from just looking at it never mind driving it. This sense of purpose about the car is what attracted me to it in the first place. Try as I might to like it the new car is a dog!
Old 12 January 2001, 01:00 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

If you can go and see the Blue STi at Graham Goode Racing All it needs is a decent spoiler, 18 inch rims and a lower ride. If only the 5 door also had extended arches that would look great.

Has anyone noticed that there are no white poos on the pavement anymore? What species of dog has become extinct
Old 12 January 2001, 01:04 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

I agree with Puff - 5 door is quite respectable, nay good looking even, but definitely needs to be overhauled by STi. I reckon if there is a very special STi 5 door by 2002 then I will go for it, unless something else crops up in the meantime (5 door EVO? Nissan Stagea (SP?))

Saw DBM 4 door the other day, 17's definitely gave it presence, but the ride height made it look like an outback or something!
Old 12 January 2001, 01:04 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

But the USA will love it - which is a bigger market than Europe.

I like the look of the 5-door, or would once it's been lowered. Just need to wait to see what the STi provides.......*if* it's provided to Switzerland!

Richard

Quick Reply: MY01 - not selling - now there's a surprise!