Sponsored by:

speed cameras and nothing better to do

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2001, 11:28 PM
ian kilby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have just been down to Northants, where my customer a certain F1 team lives.

Came down the A422 from Banbury to Brackley, nothing on the road and see a Red Transit parked with Yellow writing on it.

Thinks...Motorway Maintenance..But no on closer look..It has Safety Cameras written on it, and with the slide door open has some guys inside with what looks like a speed camera.

Oh bugger, I am doing 65ish in a 60 zone..!!

Find out later that Northants Police are doing Zero tolerance and that Van is mobile speed camera.

Also further down the A422 before Silverstone, there is a BLUE Digital camera..Takes photo of the front of car, and has no road markings..

I am fed up with this war against motorist, I have had a clean license for 12 years and find the driving standard getting worse, but there are never any coppers around to nick the idiots.

The Police would sooner use stealth, and nick any speeding driver they can to get the revenue..Whilst the old granny across the road is getting her head kicked in!!!

I do not condone speeding, but there are differences between 5 Mph and 30 Mph over and differing road conditions.

So be careful in Northants and on the A442 from Brackley to Silverstone..

Rant over..
Old 13 January 2001, 10:39 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Ian,

welcome to the BBS.

Fancy coming down to the Worcester Meet tomorrow (Sunday)? See
Old 14 January 2001, 11:21 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Those "Safety Cars" (yeah, right) are all over Northampton, spending 15-30 minutes in every location. Two spots in Weedon, one in Mere Way, on on the M1 bridge.. and so it goes on..

I say "Safety", because you should see the swerving and veering these vans cause by people slamming their brakes on they see the van.

Thankfully, my Bell 980 saved my *** on Thursday when it alerted me to a laser gun when doing 40 on a 30 mph dual carriage way (yes, 30mph dual carriage way - WTF!)

Accident black spots my ar$e.. easy pickings morelike.
Old 15 January 2001, 10:35 PM
PhilHulse
Scooby Regular

I went past one of these on the A43 some 4 months ago. No NIP yet!
Old 15 January 2001, 10:50 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Well Blair has my vote. ....NOT
Old 17 January 2001, 08:19 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

Why not join the ABD? (Association of British Drivers)

They have sensible polices on speed , driver education, etc..

Have a look at

Trending Topics

Old 17 January 2001, 11:13 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My application to the ABD will be sent tomorrow.
I've had enough of this ****!

Leigh
Old 18 January 2001, 08:29 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Hi Ian - Welcome to the Board

Have to say I couldn't agree more. Driving standards are getting worse and the government through it's policies and funding is forcing the police to become nothing more than glorified tax inspectors. Every morning I goto work, I try and be sensible through the 30 and 40 limits and every day you'll get some idiot sitting in your boot because he thinks you should be going faster.

Yesterday I watched a Vectra, overtake a car on a right hand bend at over 50 in a 30 zone - these are the d**kheads that should be off the road.

It also does nothing to improve relations between the public and the police which I suspect aren't exactly at an all time high at the moment, as I'm sure Stuart H will confirm (for the benefit of Ian, Stuart is one of our resident policemen on this BBS).

Rant over (for the moment)

Chris
Old 18 January 2001, 09:51 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Angry

Nat21,

I know the one you mean. I nearly go caught by that one a few weeks ago. If anyone does not know the road, heres the layout. It got to be the the wrost (best?) example of how the cameras are there to make money, not cut accidents;

Through silverstone on the A43 it a 50, then it becomes a 60 past the village. The stretch upto Silverstone is very windy and you always get stuck behind a lorry. Then a couple of miles further on there a short stetch of Dual Carriage way. So any one stuck behind a slow vehicle is going to take this oppertunity to get past. The road has just been re-laid with improved marking etc. A couple of hundred yards along the d/c is the said spead camera. What the hell is it doing there???? There's very little chance of an accident. The only explination is that the police know that you are likely to be going some to get past traffic, so plonk it down right where you are going the quickest (but isn't that the point in over taking?). So instead of getting past with the minimum amount of time, you spend ages crawling past the slower traffic, and if you don't make it you are faced with trying to get past later in a more dangorus place.

What more can I say.