Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fitted VF35 but no remap! hitting fuel cut.

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2008, 03:49 AM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy fitted VF35 but no remap! hitting fuel cut.

Hi all,
New to the forum and Scooby ownership. Very much enjoying the car and the whole experience (except the fuel bills, lol). Loads of useful info to browse through when i'm sitting at work board !
Typical of me not being able to leave anything alone i've already started tinkering and making the car my own.
will have to get some pics on, when i work out how.

I have recently fitted a vf35 and de-cat up-pipe to my 2001 wrx Bugeye,
when i bought the car it had already had the following fitted and was remapped (mocom) with these fitted:

650cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Sti TMIC ( i think, not sure maybe bigger)
HKS Direct drive induction
3'' de-cat TB Exhaust

dyno'd @ 240.6

I have now changed back to standard airbox with a K&N Panel filter (was told was better), a de-cat up-pipe and VF35. the car seems to run fine and pulls ok through the rev range and spits plenty of flames on overun and during gear changes on hard blasts. Problem i'm having is that it hits the fuel cut and puts up EM light in 4th at top of RPM range (Overboost??)
Anybody know how i stop this from happening? I have removed the brass restrictor pill from the turbo-actuator pipe, the car doesn't pull as much now but still cuts in 4th.

My intention is to eventually have it dyno'd and remapped but funds don't allow for that at the moment, after the cost of having a tracker and other things sorted.

Is this a problem only curable by a remap or is there something i've overlooked.
Any suggestions/info would be most helpful

Have been looking at pehaps a Cobb AP unit, but again that will be when the funds permit.

Cheers
Old 03 August 2008, 04:16 AM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You really can't just slap on a bigger turbo and expect all to be well, you need a boost controller of some sort to keep the boost down. But you should go for a remap really...
Old 03 August 2008, 04:38 AM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

i have a MBC, but didn't think i could set this to below the standard boost psi. I thought you could only increase the psi.
Old 03 August 2008, 08:01 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's already been mapped by Mocom why not take it back to Zak and get him to rework the existing Map. From memory he only charges £50-£60 an hour. For the sake of the car it's money well spent
Old 03 August 2008, 08:31 AM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

The car was done a couple of months before i bought it, so i didn't originally have it done so won't i have to pay the full amount?
I'm just thinking of the cost, i thought it was going to cost me around £450-500.

It was owned by a ESC member Paul&bon,
Old 03 August 2008, 08:44 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Get it remapped ASAP before the engine goes, the car doesn't know it's got a bigger turbo on it so is only supplying fuel for the standard turbo, as the VF35 is a bigger turbo the engine will be running lean on boost and it won't take long for the engine to say enough is enough and that will cost you a lot more than a remap
Old 03 August 2008, 09:03 AM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

surely it can't be that lean if it flames when driving, this is without the flamer kit on, or is that caused by something else?
Old 03 August 2008, 09:06 AM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong I do want to get it mapped, and i know it is important to make sure everything is running as it should i'm just looking for a quick fix untill i have the £££
Old 03 August 2008, 09:16 AM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

Mate you should listen to what people are saying. By trying to save a few quid you are risking damaging your engine. Just aint worth it.

I dont think anyone is going to say any different.
Old 03 August 2008, 09:19 AM
chris-boris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GavinE
Don't get me wrong I do want to get it mapped, and i know it is important to make sure everything is running as it should i'm just looking for a quick fix untill i have the £££
If you cant afford the remap just now then thats fair enough - just take off the VF35 and de-cat pipe until funds allow.

There is no quick fix that you are looking for and your engine (as already mentioned) will go pop sooner or later with no remap.

Its your choice but for the sake of ~£250 remap why risk the engine letting go and costing you many many times that
Old 03 August 2008, 09:20 AM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

So am i safe to drive the car if i don't race it about? or should i get the standard turbo back on right away?
Old 03 August 2008, 09:23 AM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

Think i've just answered my own question,
Old 03 August 2008, 09:23 AM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

I think if you stay off boost it will be OK short term.
Old 03 August 2008, 09:31 AM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

I will have to speak with ''Mr M Stanley'' and get it booked in sooner rather than later, Engine map vs engine rebuild

Cheers guys,
Old 03 August 2008, 09:49 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

The car was done a couple of months before i bought it, so i didn't originally have it done so won't i have to pay the full amount?
I'm just thinking of the cost, i thought it was going to cost me around £450-500.

It was owned by a ESC member Paul&bon,
No M8 as Zak uses open source mapping software all u gotta pay for is his time to adjust the Map. Even if he does 4 hours of mapping on it your only gonna be talking summin like £200-£250. For the sake of the car it's money well spent.

No Ecutek license to pay see
Old 03 August 2008, 10:27 AM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Can you remove the restrictor pill on a 2 port boost solenoid setup?
Old 03 August 2008, 10:31 AM
phil739
Scooby Regular

who is this zak person???
Old 03 August 2008, 03:05 PM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
No M8 as Zak uses open source mapping software all u gotta pay for is his time to adjust the Map. Even if he does 4 hours of mapping on it your only gonna be talking summin like £200-£250. For the sake of the car it's money well spent.

No Ecutek license to pay see

Ok, thats why i thought it was going to be more. I will have to get in contact with the peeps down at Mocom then.

I have removed the restrictor pill and it has lowered the boost, still runs fine just doesn't come on boost so strong
Old 03 August 2008, 03:15 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

surely it can't be that lean if it flames when driving, this is without the flamer kit on, or is that caused by something else?
You came to ask for advice. The consensus is that youre on borrowed time. If I were you Id stop arguing and take the good avice that you have been given. Changing the turbocharger, removing a catalytic converter and dicking about with a manual boost controller are a recipe for disaster and Im surprised that the engine isnt scrap already.
Old 03 August 2008, 07:47 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil739
who is this zak person???
Zak is the owner & mapper of Mocom Racing in Essex
Old 03 August 2008, 08:05 PM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
You came to ask for advice. The consensus is that youre on borrowed time. If I were you Id stop arguing and take the good avice that you have been given. Changing the turbocharger, removing a catalytic converter and dicking about with a manual boost controller are a recipe for disaster and Im surprised that the engine isnt scrap already.

For the record i am not ''dicking about with a manual boost controller!'' I merely stated that i had one, when some giving me ''advice'' said that i could control i.e reduce - the boost using one.

I am not arguing with the advice given to me, and have infact e-mailed Mocom already regarding getting it booked in as soon as physically possible.

I was simply stating my observation of what was happening with the car. As for the car ''being scrap already'' FYI, it's not being used, it was driven after the turbo was installed.
As for removing the restrictor pill that was something a scoobynet member had posted on a previous topic months ago.

I still have to drive the car to move it, from workshop to home, as i don't have the luxury of a car transporter or trailer.

Perhaps some people should look at my original post.
''Is this something that is curable only by a re-map?''

-The question now is will i be safe to drive the car, if it is driven normally (no high revs) so that i can travel to Mocom for the re-map.

Last edited by GavinE; 03 August 2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03 August 2008, 08:10 PM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Zak is the owner & mapper of Mocom Racing in Essex
BODSKI- I have e-mailed Mocom regarding a re-map. Do i need to contact Zak personally or will the e-mail be enough. I want to get it in ASAP to be sorted, do you know if there is normally a wait for booking, and how long does it normally take for the map to be done, as i would have to wait for the car,

Thanks for your help so far.

Last edited by GavinE; 03 August 2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03 August 2008, 08:20 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

For the record i am not ''dicking about with a manual boost controller!'' I merely stated that i had one, when some giving me ''advice'' said that i could control i.e reduce - the boost using one.

I am not arguing with the advice given to me, and have infact e-mailed Mocom already regarding getting it booked in as soon as physically possible.

I was simply stating my observation of what was happening with the car. As for the car ''being scrap already'' FYI, it's not being used, it was driven after the turbo was installed.

Perhaps some people should look at my original post.
''Is this something that is curable only by a re-map?''

-The question now is will i be safe to drive the car, if it is used normally (no high revs) so that i can travel to Mocom for the re-map.
To be honest you did come over as if you were questioning the advice being given but fair play to you as your looking into getting it sorted , i drove my car over 100 miles off boost (below 3000rpm) when i had a VF34 turbo fitted to get it remapped
Old 03 August 2008, 08:26 PM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

well maybe it did a lil, but it wasn't supposed to.
Old 03 August 2008, 09:05 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

BODSKI- I have e-mailed Mocom regarding a re-map. Do i need to contact Zak personally or will the e-mail be enough. I want to get it in ASAP to be sorted, do you know if there is normally a wait for booking, and how long does it normally take for the map to be done, as i would have to wait for the car,

Thanks for your help so far.
It's only a 2 man band Mocom M8 so you'll here directly from Zak, Luke is the other Mechanic but he doesn't do any mapping work.

They can be a right royal pain in the **** to get hold of but Zak will get back to you in time. As for the mapping time it's difficult to tell as your not going to need a complete remap, as he's already done that part of it. I'd say maybe 2-3 Hours of mapping should see you ok. It's all done on the road so u can either hang around and do the driving yourself or leave it with them and then Luke drives and Zak does the mapping.

Oh and if u do hear back tell him Boyds still waiting to hear about his 3" Decat downpipe
Old 03 August 2008, 10:09 PM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

Great stuff.

Will be good to get everything sorted properly and be able to give the car a good run on the way home

I'm sure i can mention about the downpipe for ya, no worries.

p.s how do i go about joining up with the ES Crew,
Old 04 August 2008, 12:48 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you stay off boost it will not cause an issue..

if you are unable to not drive without boosting it (it's an illness but a nice one) then remove the C clip from the wastegate and remove the actuator to wastegate arm from the wastegate, or put a piece of pipe from actuator to compressor cover( remove the T / boost solenoid pipework)..
removing the wastegate arm is preferrable but more work to remove and refit.

Simon
Old 04 August 2008, 02:22 AM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

Great stuff, i'm sure i can drive off boost it's only an hour and a bit away and all A roads.

Just a case of how quick i can get it mapped now.
Old 04 August 2008, 08:15 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

I'd phone Mocom rather that email
Old 04 August 2008, 08:19 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Needs remapping before you kill the engine.

Quick Reply: fitted VF35 but no remap! hitting fuel cut.