Sponsored by:

Whine when clutch depressed

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2008, 08:07 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Whine when clutch depressed

My car has just started to make a low pitch whining noise when the clutch is depressed with the car moving forwards or backwards. It sounds like some sort of belt or something is catching. Fine when in gear just when putting it on the drive, parking, etc. Anyone any ideas?

Edited (06/08/08) to better describe problem -

when I put my car in reverse and start to accelerate in reverse I get a grinding sound, along with the normal reverse gear whine. If I'm reversing very slowly I do not hear it, but once I gain a little speed in reverse I hear the grind and it does not go away as I accelerate... There is no problem getting in gear, the problem is when I am already in gear...

Last edited by Jonnys3; 06 August 2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01 August 2008, 08:17 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car does it to it's just the transmission noise on impreza's, nothing to worrying about.
Old 01 August 2008, 08:21 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

when stationary, depress clutch and u get a whine, release clutch and whine disappears, is usually the clutch release bearing....
Old 03 August 2008, 10:04 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Sounds almost as if the thing isn't quite in gear when reversing. Whine is getting quite excessive now - if I reverse pathetically slowly it's not so noticeable.
Old 04 August 2008, 02:44 PM
richie kaye
Scooby Regular

Had exactly the same problem with my1995 wrx,was bricking it incase the gearbox was on its way out

Had it serviced(gearbox oil) and it seemed to not be so loud,just carried on with it....then the baliffs came and took it,bad ****!!! brought a car on outstanding finance and lost it,didnt HPI it!!!! buyer pressured me and i snapped paid cash,let my head rule my heart..never again.
Old 04 August 2008, 08:23 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

mine does it but i dont care really as my old one did it and never had a problem . just the way they are i think
Old 04 August 2008, 08:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Thrust release bearing. Id wait until it fails.
Old 04 August 2008, 10:49 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Thrust release bearing. Id wait until it fails.
What's gonna happen when it finally fails - will it do any further damage if I carry on until it does fail? Also, how much are these things to get sorted? Sorry to be such a numpty.
Old 04 August 2008, 11:08 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Ive only had it happen once, it wasnt brilliant, but you could drive around it. It could last for thousands of miles as it is too. The alternative is expensive, so youd be best advised to replace the clutch if you do anything.
Old 05 August 2008, 11:09 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that advice, very much appreciated - takes away half the worry for me when I know what the problem is likely to be. What's the worst that could happen when it fails though, and when you say expensive, just how expensive?
Old 05 August 2008, 11:15 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Prozac is supposed to help with depression.
Old 05 August 2008, 11:49 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie kaye
Had exactly the same problem with my1995 wrx,was bricking it incase the gearbox was on its way out

Had it serviced(gearbox oil) and it seemed to not be so loud,just carried on with it....then the baliffs came and took it,bad ****!!! brought a car on outstanding finance and lost it,didnt HPI it!!!! buyer pressured me and i snapped paid cash,let my head rule my heart..never again.
How can baliffs take it? If you bought the car without knowing about the finance then you own the car. The law is clear, speak to a solicitor. As this is a BBS, a lot of knowitalls will say that I am wrong, so you can research the law yourself: 1967 Hire Purchase Act.

Simon
Old 06 August 2008, 05:14 PM
richie kaye
Scooby Regular

Sorry to be spamming up your thread about my problem with the car

Its been nearly 12 months knowing that i brought the car in good faith and then find 6 months later it wasnt mine to be having,i brought from a private sale and had writtern reciepts,when i took this to the police they didnt give a **** and i kept on this was fraud(because the guy who owed the money on the car had sold it on and pocketed the cash) went to the citizens advice and they said " it was my own fault and should of HPI'd the car,yes i should of done and i really wish i had of done,to get this matter resolved in court could cost me a lot of money,but to think somewhere out has sold the car and pocketed the cash makes me so angry.since the car got taken from me ive been a completely different person,ive even had to start taking anxiety tablets and ive got to go and see an anger management tutor,all because of losing my pride and joy and the five years it took to save for the car.

Rant over!!!
Old 06 August 2008, 06:50 PM
Ste98Turbo
Scooby Regular

Its the clutch release bearing just asked my brother hes a gearbox mechanic.
Old 06 August 2008, 11:06 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ste98Turbo
Its the clutch release bearing just asked my brother hes a gearbox mechanic.
Cheers Ste98Turbo, much appreciated - can you run this one past your brother again as I have done a little more digging on other forums and found someone who has experienced exactly the same problem as I'm having - not sure I've described the problem too well compared to this but I am experiencing exactly what follows in this thread:

First and Reverse gear grind - Subaru Legacy Forums (note I only get the problem when in reverse... )

"Here's my situation, when I put my car in reverse and start to accelerate in reverse I get this grinding sound, along with the normal gear whine. If I'm reversing very slowly I do not hear it, but once I gain a little speed in reverse I hear the grind and it does not go away as I accelerate... There is no problem getting in gear, the problem is when I am already in gear."

Turns out this guy's problem was exhaust flanges rubbing on the drive shaft. I have briefly spoken to an independent subaru garage and they seem to be ruling out clutch release bearing from what I've described.

Last edited by Jonnys3; 06 August 2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06 August 2008, 11:38 PM
Ste98Turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonnys3
Cheers Ste98Turbo, much appreciated - can you run this one past your brother again as I have done a little more digging on other forums and found someone who has experienced exactly the same problem as I'm having - not sure I've described the problem too well compared to this but I am experiencing exactly what follows in this thread:

First and Reverse gear grind - Subaru Legacy Forums (note I only get the problem when in reverse... )

"Here's my situation, when I put my car in reverse and start to accelerate in reverse I get this grinding sound, along with the normal gear whine. If I'm reversing very slowly I do not hear it, but once I gain a little speed in reverse I hear the grind and it does not go away as I accelerate... There is no problem getting in gear, the problem is when I am already in gear."

Turns out this guy's problem was exhaust flanges rubbing on the drive shaft. I have briefly spoken to an independent subaru garage and they seem to be ruling out clutch release bearing from what I've described.
Will ask him for you mate, have you checked to see if there is any oil in your gearbox?
Old 07 August 2008, 12:55 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie kaye
Sorry to be spamming up your thread about my problem with the car

Its been nearly 12 months knowing that i brought the car in good faith and then find 6 months later it wasnt mine to be having,i brought from a private sale and had writtern reciepts,when i took this to the police they didnt give a **** and i kept on this was fraud(because the guy who owed the money on the car had sold it on and pocketed the cash) went to the citizens advice and they said " it was my own fault and should of HPI'd the car,yes i should of done and i really wish i had of done,to get this matter resolved in court could cost me a lot of money,but to think somewhere out has sold the car and pocketed the cash makes me so angry.since the car got taken from me ive been a completely different person,ive even had to start taking anxiety tablets and ive got to go and see an anger management tutor,all because of losing my pride and joy and the five years it took to save for the car.

Rant over!!!
That shouldnt have happened Richie and you have been shafted. Speak to a real solicitor, the law is very clear and you do not have to make an HPI check in order to be protected.
Old 07 August 2008, 10:42 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ste98Turbo
Will ask him for you mate, have you checked to see if there is any oil in your gearbox?
Had the car's 60k service done early June this year and Subaru garage replaced the gearbox oil then (or at least have charged me for it), but I will check.