Am I going to get done over?

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2008, 07:10 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I going to get done over?

Quick poll.

My cars up for sale, this lad phoned me on my mobile earlier and said he wanted to view tomorrow. I was at work and unsure if i'm working asked him to come on Monday instead. No good for him so conversation ended.

Just got home and exact same lad phone the house phone asking if he could come view the car tomorrow. I now know i'll be in so said yes. Also asked if he'd phoned me earlier and he denied it. He's offered £4200 cash without seeing the car and will be round "after the bank opens" tomorrow.

I've given him postcode and number so he can get here, question is - is it some sort of scam. Will my car be gone in the morning, will he show up and pay or will he try and nick it on the test drive?
Old 01 August 2008, 07:24 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

your just having the jitters about selling a car privately , dont worry about it. i had the same thing with some lads wanting to buy a car i was selling, they turned up and were very poliet, and the deal went swimmingly.
Old 01 August 2008, 07:39 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

What car are you selling? Is £4200 a good price for the buyer? Could just be a young Chav with cash to spend because he's living at home with mum and dad.
Old 01 August 2008, 07:51 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
What car are you selling? Is £4200 a good price for the buyer? Could just be a young Chav with cash to spend because he's living at home with mum and dad.
thats a good point by b.b.

also why deny it ws the same lad. did he sound thick or chavvy down the phone?

probably a dreamer or tyre kicker, but just b vigilant tonight, thats my advice. unless off course you have the guys phone numbers from the two calls earlier
Old 01 August 2008, 08:19 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I have still got his number, sounded ok but strangely never asked a single question about the car - all a bit weird really.
I'm hoping it's 'cause it's such a bargain
Old 01 August 2008, 08:22 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Would you generally give your home address to a stranger? Doubt it so why do so when someone wants to buy your car ...

I always meet people away from the house, suss them out as a genuine buyer & then invite them to follow me back to the house to view paperwork. Never had any probs with this to date.

TX.
Old 01 August 2008, 08:27 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Good advice Terminator.

Alan MaC
Old 01 August 2008, 08:34 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

invite some mates round for a coffee, thats what I usually do if I think its suspect, it never has been though
Old 01 August 2008, 08:48 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If i was buying a car and the seller said meet me at the pub/club petrol station id put phone down thinkin they were dodgy.

Deal with it how you want, but sellin a car is not as risky as sellin ya house,yet we do that

why does it matter if he knows where u live, a quick drive round,he`d find the car anyway on the drive if he wanted to rob a scoob
Old 01 August 2008, 09:04 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Sure it will be fine....if more than one guy turns up.....just tell them that only the one buying can go out with you in it!! And...deffinitely have a mate or brother(etc) there with you!

Better to have a mate/brother there and not need them than wish you had asked your mate/brother to come round! LOL!

Hope it goes well and you get the right price.
Old 01 August 2008, 09:09 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reassurance lads, for what it's worth I reckon it'll be a no show. Already had 2 no shows in a week so why not a third?
Thanks also for the advice about not giving out my address but as a buyer I wouldn't go look at a private sale unless I was meeting the buyer at their home. Maybe I should've asked him to ring back in the morning for the address?
Old 01 August 2008, 09:19 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

No bother, I've sold loads of cars like that. Some people don't like the formalities of buying a car (even though they try and pretend, it's blatantly obvious the ones who are going to buy on the spot or have a think about).

Take your time, don't try and 'sell' the car, let them do that for you. Check the loot when it's handed over.

Have a bit of paper with some sort of agreement ie sold on ??date and ?? time with x amount of miles, as seen. Both parties sign, both get an original copy. Not worth much but it does help against speeding/parking tickets, worked for me anyhow.

Play it cool, if they're going to nick it, they're going to nick it, bugger all you can do about it. Saying that, I reckon you'll be fine.

P.S. Have the 'heavies' in the back ground out of sight if you have/need them, it intimidates potential buyers and sometimes puts them off!
Old 01 August 2008, 10:04 PM
Ste98Turbo
Scooby Regular

As said make sure some mates are there with you just incase, i norm get a mate to count the money well i go over the paper work with the buyer

As for the guy not asking any questions, myself i like to ask to seller face to face and see how he reacts incase hes trying to hide something so wouldnt worry about that too much.
Old 01 August 2008, 10:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Always ask the buyer for a landline number and when you can contact them on it. Ring them at the agreed time and only then disclose your address. A landline is much easier to trace and much harder to fake than any mobile.

When arranging to meet away from the 'kept' address, assure the buyer that once you have met and all looks acceptable that you will be traveling immediately to the address stated on the V5 to view the car, pointing out exactly why you are doing this. I met 2 of the 4 interested parties for my car in the local Police station car park, making out I would be coming off shift at that time (they didn't know I wasn't a copper ). The other 2 guys were known off here, one of whom bought it. As others have said, arrange for mates/brothers etc to be present, and only take the potential buyer out on any test drive. I only removed the Disklok once I was about to drive the car, and refitted it as soon as I parked up, keeping the key in my pocket separate to the other keys.

Last edited by corradoboy; 01 August 2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01 August 2008, 10:23 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
invite some mates round for a coffee, thats what I usually do if I think its suspect, it never has been though
Yeah I agree with that
Always nice to have a little back up just incase, like many others when I go to view a car am never alone so safety in numbers count
Old 02 August 2008, 03:00 AM
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

Britain sounds more and more like the wildwest
Old 02 August 2008, 12:30 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Well, the whole family turned up. All very nice, deal done and happy buyers on their way. Happy me with a wad of cash in the bank.

Paranoia not required it seems
Old 02 August 2008, 01:04 PM
d5hof
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
If i was buying a car and the seller said meet me at the pub/club petrol station id put phone down thinkin they were dodgy.

Deal with it how you want, but sellin a car is not as risky as sellin ya house,yet we do that

why does it matter if he knows where u live, a quick drive round,he`d find the car anyway on the drive if he wanted to rob a scoob
I will/have done the same. If you think i'm not genuine then its only fair I think you're not genuine. Part time dodgy car dealers tend to meet people away from home and I have had that experience few times.

Shof
Old 02 August 2008, 02:59 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
Yeah, people are always nicking houses on the test drive

If he's offering cash, don't let him have the car until the money is in the bank. Lots of forged notes about.

ooops, just noticed deal is done. Nice one.

Last edited by Gary C; 02 August 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03 August 2008, 10:59 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I think that you're along with other posters saying this. What's wrong with meeting me somewhere local, viewing the car THEN if you're a genuine buyer we go back to my house to view the paperwork. Saves me giving out my home address to timewasters & possible thieves. A genuine buyer would be fine with this & if they weren't (as some posters above) then no harm done we both just move on.

TX.

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Thanks also for the advice about not giving out my address but as a buyer I wouldn't go look at a private sale unless I was meeting the buyer at their home.
Old 03 August 2008, 11:59 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Jesus Andy,

Not even met face to face yet and your selling/sold up. Bugger.

What you got lined up to replace the car with?

Is the car going local?

Steve
Old 03 August 2008, 12:11 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always get buyers to come to my business address rather than home
Old 03 August 2008, 08:04 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

When I sell stuff on ebay and the buyer is collecting I give the postcode of a couple of streets away and say call me when you're there and I'll direct you in!

If they don't turn up within 5 mins - its time to call the boys and move the car somewhere else!
Old 03 August 2008, 09:53 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary C
Yeah, people are always nicking houses on the test drive

Hmm,That is true.If i have to point out a burglars perspective of a house viewing then,well,your pretty niave
Old 06 August 2008, 09:38 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Jesus Andy,

Not even met face to face yet and your selling/sold up. Bugger.

What you got lined up to replace the car with?

Is the car going local?

Steve
Hi Steve,
I changed to a Mini cooper of all things! Had the Scooby 3 years which is a long time for me to have the same car - it had covered 72k and I thought if I left it another year it'd have 90k and be very hard to sell.
Don't know if i'd buy another Impreza again but never say never! Mine went to a lad from Essex so you won't be seeing round our way again.
If you get a flash from a blue mini it'll be me...
Old 06 August 2008, 11:10 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

What's put you off fella?

TX.

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Don't know if i'd buy another Impreza again ...
Old 06 August 2008, 12:12 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Just love cars and usually get bored of them very quickly, almost unheard of for me to have the same one for 3 years!
I just don't know if i'd go back to one when there are so many others out there to try first. Wouldn't mind a new STi though in a few years when the price has come down. Hopefully by then you'll be able to get smoked rear lights to sort out it's looks.

Have to say, the Impreza has been the best car i've ever owned. Fast, reliable and full of character. It did cost a packet to run particularly as i'm most driving round town but I knew that when I bought it.

I'd really love to run an S2 Elise for a while but I just know I would hate it if it was my only car and not a weekend toy.