Opinions on track days

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2008, 09:23 PM
fh83
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on track days

Hey,
I'm just wondering how many of you guys do track days. Is it worth it? By saying this i mean the cost of tyres and brake pads etc. I am thinking on maybe taking my WR1 for a track evening session at knockhill soon. Just wondering peoples opions on this.
Cheers.
Old 30 July 2008, 09:33 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

I've only taken mine once, to goodwood and it was a fantastic day out. I was fairly careful with the car, so didn't damage the tyres/brakes too much, but even being careful you can have alot more fun than on the road .
Old 30 July 2008, 09:38 PM
fh83
Scooby Regular

Thats what im thinking- just being able to push it a bit more without worrying what lurks around the corner! Not thinking on doing it regular, would probably just be a one off.
Old 30 July 2008, 09:41 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fh83
Hey,
I'm just wondering how many of you guys do track days. Is it worth it? By saying this i mean the cost of tyres and brake pads etc. I am thinking on maybe taking my WR1 for a track evening session at knockhill soon. Just wondering peoples opions on this.
Cheers.
i do trackdays quite often (saying that i havent been for a while now lol ), deffo worth the money TBH, get your self over to scottish scoobies on SIDC, the SIDC days are quite good with a high standard of driving so theres no Lewis Hamilton wanna be`s , perfect for any first timers, theres a SIDC trackday comming up at knockhill next month unfortunatly its on the same day as the mcrae gathering convoy so there wont be much scoobs on track, theres also the speed fest and speed sundays at knockhill as well which you do tend to get alot of lewis hamilton wannabe`s who drive like there lifes depend on it, your car brakes and tires will take a beating though (unless you like driving like Miss Daisy ) dont think its in the SIDC shop yet though but keep an eye out for it being released as they dont take long to sell out

<< View my Scooby for some knockhill photos

Last edited by RA Dunk; 30 July 2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 30 July 2008, 10:02 PM
badgerface123
Scooby Regular

Location: deepest darkest dorset ripping up the A30 in a red V5

any track days down in cider country

dorset, somerset, hamperset
Old 30 July 2008, 10:09 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by badgerface123

correction the SIDC day at knockhill is in the shop now, book quick to avoid disapointment!

badger, im not sure which would be your local track down there m8, theres a few in the SIDC shop just now have a wee browse and see which ones closest to you SIDC Online Shop

trackdays are the difference between people who talk about going fast and people who actually do go fast , remember real men take corners!
Old 30 July 2008, 10:37 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Hey,
Cheers.
I would say dendant on your driving Style and the circuit will depend on how much wear and tear you put on your Car.

I normally do on an open Pit lane I will do 150-200 track miles. I service and inspect Wear and tear by time the track distance by 25 times to equate to road use. So quite often normal service before and afterwards Service Plus change the Diff & DCCD oils as they get quite some stick. IMHO

That are loads of threads about looking after your Car on trackdays

1) Enjoy the day
2) look after yourself, drink (water) and rest plenty, it's tiring,
3) Give the Car a break
4) You Drove it there so you'll need to drive it home
5) Never time yourself
6) 1 missjudgement a lap I 'm trying, two a lap and not concentrating time to come in.

IMHO.

Originally Posted by Á¢ïÐ

trackdays are the difference between people who talk about going fast and people who actually do go fast , remember real men take corners!

And some fail misserably

Tony
Old 30 July 2008, 10:48 PM
fh83
Scooby Regular

Sounds good. Think i'll need to get myself along to one soon!
Old 31 July 2008, 09:21 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I bung my tyres up to 40 psi and adjust when hot, but I do Blyton (16/08/08) which is a rallycross circuit, so tight and twisty...

HTH

DunxC
Old 31 July 2008, 09:44 AM
stevie_b
Scooby Regular

Yes, I can't recommend it enough - it's definitely worth trying it at least once to see what you are missing out on. My Scoobys only really get used for track days/sprints/hillclimbs/Nordschleife. You'd have to be a loon to get anywhere near the potential performance of these cars on the public road! Somewhere like Bedford Autodrome is an excellent place to do a first track day as the circuit is good and the runoffs are huge so you are unlikely to hit anything should you get it wrong!
Old 31 July 2008, 09:59 AM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

If you find a venue you fancy doing just go along to watch and have a chat before paying out the cash. You might even get a passenger ride. Airfield tracks are the place to start, as they are cheaper and less to hit
Old 31 July 2008, 10:01 AM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just be aware that it's a slippery slope and once you've got a taste for it you'll want to do more. I've been doing them just over a year now and have done 4 (Castle Combe x 2, Goodwood, Donington Park), with a 5th in 2 weeks (Silverstone) and a 6th and 7th planned for this Autumn (Cadwell Park and Goodwood).

It is not a cheap hobby. I reckon each day costs me:
  • The day itself, typically £150
  • 2 tanks of fuel £100
  • Insurance £60 (through Keith Michaels, who extend your normal cover to the track for £60 a day)
  • 1/6th set of tyres £60
  • Up to half a set of standard road brake pads £100, say
  • Fuel to get there, plus incidentals £50
So I reckon on £500 a day as being the true cost.

Then you start realising the brakes aren't up to it so, in my case, that's £800 of Godspeed grooved rear disks and a set of Performance Friction front discs and PF pads all round.

Thankfully the car already had ASTs, all the whiteline bits and a proper geometry set up when I bought it otherwise there goes another £1750.

And so it goes on....

But boy is it fun
YouTube - Goodwood trackday November 2007, Subaru Impreza
YouTube - Castle Combe Trackday, May 2008, Impreza Type 20
Old 31 July 2008, 12:02 PM
xdave
Scooby Regular

Thats what im thinking- just being able to push it a bit more without worrying what lurks around the corner! Not thinking on doing it regular, would probably just be a one off.
just be a one off ? good luck mate , i did 1 and got addicted to them . lol
Old 31 July 2008, 12:59 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

There will be one at some point here:

http://www.thruxtonracing.co.uk/courses.html

Brilliantly fast and definately for the brave!
Old 31 July 2008, 01:30 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Originally Posted by terzo204
There will be one at some point here:

http://www.thruxtonracing.co.uk/courses.html

Brilliantly fast and definately for the brave!
Maybe - but they have a strictly enforced 90db(A) static noise limit Only a stock exhaust is likely to meet that - my Milltek's 98dB at 4000 rpm, although only 96 at 6000.
Old 31 July 2008, 01:56 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tim hardisty
Maybe - but they have a strictly enforced 90db(A) static noise limit Only a stock exhaust is likely to meet that - my Milltek's 98dB at 4000 rpm, although only 96 at 6000.
I'm very surprised at that, Thruxton is in the middle of nowhere.
Old 31 July 2008, 02:15 PM
simplesteve
Scooby Regular

As previously mentioned track days can become expensive what with tyres, brakes, fuel etc although they are great fun.

Thruxton I believe only do a very limited number of days there due to noise regulations and the fact they're only permitted to use the circuit so many times a year.

Try these though... Motorsport Events Track Days & Corporate Driving Events as they organise many airfield days which tend to be cheaper than track days to attend. I've been to a few of their days which are well organised and well marshalled. Keevil and Hullavington are both just off the M4 in Wiltshire which is around an hour and a bits drive from Poole where I am. And the advantage of an airfield is there's plenty of run off......

Steve
Old 31 July 2008, 02:42 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

By all means take the scoob but what i have done is bought a car specifically for track days. Something i dont mind breaking or bending I have seen a well driven 106 rallye worry a lot of high powered cars. Bought my track day car (seat ibiza gti) for £400
Old 31 July 2008, 03:40 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Originally Posted by terzo204
I'm very surprised at that, Thruxton is in the middle of nowhere.
A village full of nimby's bordering the track. I know - I lived there for a while!

I was not a nimby though, and used to go and sneak a view of the touring cars etc, over a gate only accessible if you knew how to get there from the village
Old 31 July 2008, 05:04 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tim hardisty
Just be aware that it's a slippery slope and once you've got a taste for it you'll want to do more. I've been doing them just over a year now and have done 4 (Castle Combe x 2, Goodwood, Donington Park), with a 5th in 2 weeks (Silverstone) and a 6th and 7th planned for this Autumn (Cadwell Park and Goodwood).

It is not a cheap hobby. I reckon each day costs me:
  • The day itself, typically £150
  • 2 tanks of fuel £100
  • Insurance £60 (through Keith Michaels, who extend your normal cover to the track for £60 a day)
  • 1/6th set of tyres £60
  • Up to half a set of standard road brake pads £100, say
  • Fuel to get there, plus incidentals £50
So I reckon on £500 a day as being the true cost.

Then you start realising the brakes aren't up to it so, in my case, that's £800 of Godspeed grooved rear disks and a set of Performance Friction front discs and PF pads all round.

Thankfully the car already had ASTs, all the whiteline bits and a proper geometry set up when I bought it otherwise there goes another £1750.

And so it goes on....

But boy is it fun
YouTube - Goodwood trackday November 2007, Subaru Impreza
YouTube - Castle Combe Trackday, May 2008, Impreza Type 20
Yeah as above, £150 for track, £150 for fuel then plus tyres, brakes etc etc.
Old 31 July 2008, 05:17 PM
clivew
Scooby Regular

Loading... (dunno how I did that.....it was supposed to say bookatrack!!) have Castle Combe dates on 26th Sept and 6th Dec - have a look on their site under "Trackdays" >>> "Calendar and Bookings" - I can thoroughly recommend bat for running well organised days (and no, I don't have any interest in, them apart from having taken part in 13 of their days).

Last edited by clivew; 31 July 2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 31 July 2008, 08:23 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by clivew
BookaTrack.com clicky have Castle Combe dates on 26th Sept and 6th Dec - have a look on their site under "Trackdays" >>> "Calendar and Bookings"
Fixed
Old 31 July 2008, 08:28 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

We've done track days for many years now. Ignoring the possibility of track insurance, (£60 ? are you sure it's that cheap?) You need to be aware of the possibility of a write off and accept the fact of it. We've seen dozens of cars seriously stuffed, including the situation where the car wasn't being driven by its owner! As the old Naval saying goes, if you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined..
Old 31 July 2008, 08:46 PM
fh83
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the opinions guys! Yeh as has been said its not just the cost of the track day, its tyres brakes, fuel etc. An expensive hobby! What i am frightened of is doing it once and being hooked! Know a few of my mates did that with their bikes and now have dedicated track bikes!
Old 31 July 2008, 10:20 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the opinions guys! Yeh as has been said its not just the cost of the track day, its tyres brakes, fuel etc. An expensive hobby! What i am frightened of is doing it once and being hooked! Know a few of my mates did that with their bikes and now have dedicated track bikes!
If you go that route you cant go far wrong with a pug gti
Old 31 July 2008, 11:00 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
...Ignoring the possibility of track insurance, (£60 ? are you sure it's that cheap?)
Yes - if you're insured with Keith Michaels, that's what they charge to extend your cover to the track for a day, albeit with a £1000-£1500 excess.

If you have to take out dedicated trackday insurance, it is about £10 per £1000 of cover, with an excess of 10% of the value of the vehicle.
Old 01 August 2008, 06:52 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Blyton last time:-

Linglong's un-touched by the days antics £10
Fuel one tank full + top-up on the way home £100
Brake pads £20... guess as they look like new.
Front bumper scuff going too fast in the wet ( £100 ? ) first damage !
Fee for the day £35

So total of £165 plus paint work. Still not done, as it's an honourable scar, LOL

DunxC

P.S. The WYIOC only allow six cars on track at once, and run separate "track car" only sessions every hour. No over-taking without "permission" from the car infront, and a juniors section too !

Last edited by dunx; 01 August 2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01 August 2008, 08:01 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Done them ever since the car had it's first service. First major incident a couple of weeks ago having done around 20 track days and trips to the ring over the past 2 1/2 years.

Its the only place to drive and once you have done one you will realise that driving on the road does not have the same appeal and good quality tarmac, with no oncoming traffic, no speed cameras and no potholes.

Do it but be prepared for an upgrade list to materialise.

Knockhill is a fantastic circuit but it can bite so take it easy and get instruction to help you make it safer and more enjoyable.
Old 01 August 2008, 11:16 AM
clivew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Fixed
Cheers for that!!
Old 01 August 2008, 02:11 PM
fh83
Scooby Regular

If you go that route you cant go far wrong with a pug gti
Mmm tempted! Used to have a 306 GTI-6. Loved it! But a 106 gti of even a 205 gti would be cracking for the track!

Last edited by fh83; 01 August 2008 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinions on track days