Sponsored by:

Newbie WRX needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2008, 04:26 AM
griff300
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Newbie WRX needs advice

Hi all. Finally managed to convince the Mrs that I deserved some fun motoring (after many years of boredom) and splashed out on my childhood dream of a scooby. Managed to pick up a well looked after 2005 WRX for not a lot of money but need to dip into all the years of experience out there to tweak this totally standard beauty into a bit more of a beast.

1) Is there any way of getting a PPP Prodrive kit for a standard WRX other than through Subaru main dealers?...i.e. cheaper than £1600!?!

..and if that's an impossibility... what are the reccomendations for the best minor mods like (a) induction kit, (b) dump valve, (c) exhaust and (d) re-map.

Was planning to go down the K&N and baileys route for the first two but I'm sure you guys know of better ways??

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Griff
Old 25 July 2008, 08:19 AM
escott
Scooby Regular

Unless you bought a car with PPP there are cheaper (and some would say better) ways of getting similar performance.

Start off with exhaust, either decat or sports cat and decat centre, remap at the same time. Be picky about who remaps it - there are loads of threads on here but it comes down to about 8-10 highly respected individuals.

When you have chosen a mapper, ask them about the other mods, you may want to do panel filter and possibly fuel pump instead of induction kit and dv.

You should also look at roll bars and drop links (search on here for whiteline threads) and maybe brake pads/discs.

Best thing is not to dive straight in - do lots of research first, don't make an expensive mistake.

Might also be worth checking with your insurance company first to see how much they will charge you.
Old 25 July 2008, 08:58 AM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with the above.

I did exactly that with my 2005 WRX.

The mapper you use will depend on your location and how far you are willing to travel.

I've gone for the Sportscat downpipe and removed the other 2 cats, panel filter,fuel pump, anti-roll bar and drop links. The car is transformed and still cost less than PPP.

Don't bother with an induction kit, they often make things worse. The K&N panel filter is a good one.

Also, think carefully about the dump valve, they do nothing and most owners will disapprove.
Old 25 July 2008, 02:07 PM
jeromelo
Scooby Regular

who are the better mappers down London area?
Would be prepared to travel about 100miles outside the M25 as well
Old 25 July 2008, 02:10 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

As above. Only other mod recommended to me was Samco hoses for the intercooler as the WRX standard ones are very restrictive. 273 bhp with the map. Still passes MOT too.

5t.
Old 25 July 2008, 02:32 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Near London you could try Mocom Racing in Essex, Simon AKA Jolly Green Monster and Neil of Slowboy racing.

I'm sure there are others too.
Old 25 July 2008, 06:04 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

Bob Rawle (BRD Developments) based in Swindon if you are West London, or Mocom in Essex (as mentioned above) if you are East.