Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just as the proces start coming down....

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2001, 01:32 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Typical, just as petrol prices start to become a more acceptable amount.....
Old 15 January 2001, 03:21 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Robski

Having a brother who works at high level in the oil industry it is the Iraq@s who are spoiling matters re the barrel price. They are refusing to increase production and hence we have to rely on other Opec states to increase production to cover the shortfall.

The yanks do not help matters where in their own domestic market the price per gallon be it US Gallon or UK gallon the price is pitifully low. In one respect its good for the consumer and any manufacturer but the US Senate obstinately refuse to raise duty raised to curb oil consumption.

Our government has been always to quick to penalise the motorist by adding taxings etc and has not reduced the level of taxation that was raised proir to the oil/fuel blockade.

Personally, I cannot see for any reason why diesel should be more expensive. But it the same reason...the Chancellors greed. Diesel is cheaper than petrol to produce and yet cars that run on diesel has to suffer the added penalty (like me) of choosing to run a more fuel efficient vehicle.

My money and my opinion says that more should e done by way of fuel blockades!!!!!! Why do we have to suffer government greed. Why is our fuel so heavily taxed when other EU countries get away with lighter taxation on fuel.

Wont be long before its an offence to drive a car or use a car that does less than 20mpg!
Old 15 January 2001, 03:45 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mark Underwood:
<B>Wont be long before its an offence to drive a car or use a car that does less than 20mpg![/quote]

So - public enemies no. 1 to x,000 on this BBS then....

Old 15 January 2001, 03:58 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Mark,

not wishing to split hairs, but they are going to reduce production because the price of a barrel has dropped below their "low price".

robski
Old 15 January 2001, 03:59 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Why do we have to suffer government greed. Why is our fuel so heavily taxed when other EU countries get away with lighter taxation on fuel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly as compensation for paying less income tax or employers' social security contributions?

Old 15 January 2001, 07:59 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

I'm one for anarchy, and no taxes at all in a Mad-Max type scenario....

Survival of the fittest and all that.

Owain.
Old 15 January 2001, 08:47 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Robski

The barrel price dropped below their rate! Yes as we all know and why? The demand for oil has dropped due to a mild winter both here and elsewhere. production was stepped up by the Suadi who are very pro Uk and USA after the fuel crisis last year.

Oil like other commodities (gas etc) is pre planned based over consumption over last 12 months that historical data. Demand for gas and oil is ALWAYS higher in winter peaking in December and Jan and Feb. In the electricitiy world businesses are hit with Max Demand charges during these months and can add some 10 to 12% to a bill!!!! Yet surely the generator and supplier knows that this happens but cant seem to be ble to set a level that incororates this. No its easier to charge or fine some company to use the stuff.

Much the same happens in oil and with the new energy taxes coming in force this will penalise compaies for wasting energy. There will be a drop in energy use especially oil and round goes the viscous circle again.

The Iraqis are still suffering from the gulf war re embargos etc and will not increase their supply of oil hence the friendly nations in OPEC have to increase production.

I think that we will be lucky in that there will be no decrease in production and that it will stay static as at present. Shiek Abdullah (the Saudi Oil Minister) is fair and very clever and listening to a conversation (radio programme the other day in interview) he is doing his utmost to remain static.
Old 15 January 2001, 09:05 PM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

Taxation aint going to go away, if it's not on fuel, it'll just mean more on income tax,etc etc. Still i'd prefer on income tax, but we'd still end of no better or worse off
Old 15 January 2001, 09:37 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Angry

Maybe not Paul, but it would be a **** site fairer all round.

I'm sorry Airmiles, but what 'lower taxes'? Even if you ignore crap like IR35, withdrawl of MIRAS etc, what about all the 'stealth' taxes that have been imposed on everything from insurance to pensions.

The sad thing is these greedy, incompetant barstewards will probably still be in power next year. So prepare to wave goodbye to even more of your money, licences and cars.
Old 17 January 2001, 12:43 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

"Viscous circle", I like that, sums it up nicely too.

On the taxation front, don't forget local government wastrels are now empowered to charge what the **** they like for parking spaces at work. They'll bill the employer who can choose to pass the charge on to employees if they wish. The fee will start out looking "reasonable" but rest assured these people will waste every penny piece of your money they can raise and the cost will soon spiral.

What an earner and it means council tax bills won't need to go up.

Ha ha!
Old 17 January 2001, 07:34 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I read in the paper today there is an OPEC meeting today, the Saudi's are looking to cut production to increase price per barrel. Brent crude up 14p per barrel yesterday. And Shell has had talks with the Iraqi's re future production when UN sanctions are lifted.

So picture doesn't look quite so rosy.

Dave