Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should signing up for scoobynet be harder?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2001, 01:24 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, over the last few months we have had 2 types of blatant attack (got to be the **** boys surely ), and the emails "inviting" us to another BBS.

How many more of these types of incident are we going to accept before we make it a little trickier to sign up for scoobynet?

I for one am not convinced that we need somehow to make it a bit tricker to sign up.
(Im bearing in mind here that we also attract peeps from abroad).

It must be wasting Si's (webbies) time fixing these attacks, (when he should be making scoobynet better )

Any ideas what we can do? Maybe its time to have a poll again, I enjoyed last times!!

robski
Old 15 January 2001, 01:27 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

Are we back to suggesting that this should be a service that's paid for?

I which case I agree. I think we'd all appreciate a service which wasn't attacked every so often.

What can be done to stop or make it more difficult for people to do this sort of thing?

Andy

Old 15 January 2001, 01:49 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

When somebody registers a new username why not wait a week before sending out the password?? Then when you delete an account because it is being abused it would take a week before that person could get another account. I am sure that they would get pretty bored of doing this if they had to wait a week everytime.

I personally don't mind paying a monthly fee but I feel that might make scoobynet a little elitest and clique. I think if you do this then membership would fall dramatically and it would end up a little like 22b.com. I like the fact that scoobynet is more of a community and doesn't take itself too seriously (i.e the muppet threads etc).

If the search function ever returns then I think this will eliminate a lot of the usual questions that new members ask.
Old 15 January 2001, 02:04 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

I don't agree with subscription for the following reasons:

1. There is a core of people determined to crash the server, and they'd probably be happy to spend £5-£10 to still get access to do so.

2. You guys have used the BBS and realise it's value, and are prepared to pay ££ for it. BUT.. how many of you would pay ££ for a site you'd not used yet ?

By asking people to pay, you're limiting the number of new users you're likely to get, which in turn inhibits the long term growth in a site.
Old 15 January 2001, 02:06 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I think Simon's approach is about right as it is - much, much thought was put into the initial launch. Make it harder and it's more of a challenge to these types whilst just annoying new users.

At the moment, it's working and the excellent moderators are making sure that this sort of thing is kept to a minimum.
Old 15 January 2001, 02:53 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Wink

'the excellent moderators' nothing like a bit of self praise Chiark?

I agree with keeping it as is for the moment, the current problems have not been too serious, and as chiark said they have been dealt with quickly. If things were happenning on a regular basis, then I could see the need for something to be done.
Old 17 January 2001, 12:28 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

My take on this would be:

Scooby newbies can only post in one forum (don't know if UBB supports this or not) but they can browse other forums. This will allow them to ask thier own questions, or have them answered by looking at the other forums.
I'd then suggest that when they get upgraded to scooby regular they are then allowed to post to any forum.

Of course they could post silly stuff to get the scooby regular status, but hopefully the newbie forum would be ruthlessley moderated and thus their account would be killed before/shortly after they start posting crap in all forums.

money for posting sounds ok as well

Trending Topics

Old 17 January 2001, 08:02 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Just my fourpenneth worth, but in the time I have been posting, I have noticed a lot of the old regulars turn their back on the board. I take a look, but not so often as I used to.

This is a shame, especially in light of all the excellent work Simon and friends have put in.

I for one would favour free read-only access, but an annual fee to post. Although I understand collecting a fee may in itself be expensive and therefore prohibitive.

Dave
Old 17 January 2001, 08:40 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Unless people electronically transfer it into a specified Scoobynet bank account.
Old 17 January 2001, 08:55 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Talking

It should be a public forum for anyone to use, I see too much narrow mindedness(nothing as good as our scoobs) on our board and thats why the idiots case so much disturbance. If some of the more blinkered users would be more open minded then I think the wind up merchants would go elsewhere.
If Audi S3 thinks his motor is better then he's free to say it as we're free to say we think he talks crap.
Above being scooby lovers we should be admirers of all performance cars, I don't see that here.
Evos,Porkers and even cossies are all good motors but you'd never believe it if you were only to read this board, of course your free to believe that if you wish or not

Cammy