Sponsored by:

EU Import - Clutch Warranty issue with IM

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2001, 01:19 PM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Had my 15,000 mile service this week and the clutch was diagnosed as needing a replacement by the mechanic - the usual juddering and squeeking developing since the 7500 service. Most of my miles are motorway and I haven't done a track day. Neither has the clutch been abused, so it seems a reasonable claim on the Warranty.

The dealer kindly contacted IM who had no knowledge of my vehicle on their database even though I had written to IM on 7th May 2000 (to a named individual) with a copy of the original invoice - nothing unexpected so far. So I provided the dealer with a copy of the Dutch invoice and they again kindly contacted IM for approval to undertake the work. There has been a nil response from IM so far and I'm chasing. Their normal response time for UK cars is 24-48hrs.

Given the status of EU Imports with IM I am prepared for a good battle over what I consider to be a straight forward warranty case. I would be interested to learn of any similar experiences - you are welcome to email me if its more appropriate.

NB. I've read all the 'you pays what you get' EU/UK warranty opinions so please don't bother posting any more I'm quite happy with my lot.
Old 05 January 2001, 01:45 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hi Phil

Contact your Dutch dealer, too, and get them to put pressure on Subaru NL (Aalsmeer) who will have been contacted by IM for authorisation.

The two pronged attack seems to work...

Nick.
Old 05 January 2001, 02:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

I too have a euro import and i belive that the clutch isnt covered on it through IM. I Think that subaru holland have to authorise the part to be replaced then IM can authorise the dealer to do it but if your car is nearly out of warranty then i suggest that you upgrade to a helix or the likes so you dont get this problem again!

Tony
Old 05 January 2001, 03:21 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

IM may (if they are being awkward) want to inspect your car to determine if the clutch failure is due to faulty manufacture or wear and tear. Also, Subaru NL may request a full inspection prior to warrenty work approval. Just keep on calling them and find out who is processing your claim.
Old 05 January 2001, 04:42 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

PhilH,
I'm in the same boat an IM are a bunch of... well I don;t have to spell it out!

They couldn;t give a monkeys about Eoro customers, which is why I'm having mine serviced at Scoobsport rather than a main dealer (over double the price).

My clutch does the same thing- quite badly when very cold.

Steve lawson said there was a problem- probably to do with the strength of clamping springs, but implied that UK and Euro cars would be treated "slightly" differently. Obviously that only matters for the 1st year but there you go- mines over 1yr- guess yours isn't. What he did say was that putting a new clutch in didn't seem to fix the problem in most cases.

Sorry Steve feel free to chip in- I did try and bait you into comment the other week ;-)

When it was new I sent my info to a local dealer after IM said it was not their concern to register the car. Funnily the garage said it wasn't their business either.

Best bet is to put the repair on your credit card and get the money direct from Holland.
Old 05 January 2001, 05:34 PM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Thanks to all who have replied so far - please keep em' coming. Any examples of success or otherwise would be appreciated.

I've now managed to get through to the correct IM department and have a name to contact on Monday who is responsible for Warranty approval in the UK - I'll publish the response.

Does anyone have the appropriate contact details for warranty claims at Subaru NL (Aalsmeer)? If not I'll call them next week.

SickBoy: The car is only 8 months and following a test drive the mechanic was adamant the clutch needed replacing. It's now getting worse daily. I also take your point about dealing direct with Holland. I've already spoken with my Dutch dealer but needed to know the correct procedure before progressing. Thanks.

Orville: I pass IM most days on my way to work - if I don't get the right response I'll drop by one day soon and let them have a look/listen for themselves!

Phil

Old 08 January 2001, 12:56 AM
sonu
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Guys,

why don't some of you get in touch with Watchdog about the faulty clutch etc. I did mail them, but no one replied. Maybe a few more mails to Watchdog might get attention.

Thanks

Sonu

Trending Topics

Old 08 January 2001, 04:06 PM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Thanks Sono - I'll leave the BBC for a while since things seem to be progressing.

After a little (but not much) chasing I'm now 'officially' registered on the IM database as having a MY00 in the UK originally purchased in Holland with a not-so-good clutch. IM will now contact the main dealers in Holland for approval to undertake the work under warranty. Should take between 3 days and a week for a response from Holland. I'll keep you posted when they reply. From previous postings I can probably guess what there reply will be but I'm an optimist.....

Old 08 January 2001, 04:41 PM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

Angry

I reported a rattling clutch to my local Subaru dealer in Manchester when my car was only 7 months old. They said that if the rattle got any worse then they would fix it under warranty, even if it was over 12 months old. My car is now 14 months old and I went back to the garage. Now their story is that they won't do it under warranty. Subaru UK not too helpful there, just for a change.
Old 08 January 2001, 04:50 PM
richard.heald
Scooby Newbie

Hi,
I've got the same problem - I've been told the clutch must be sent back to Holland for inspection before the replacement is authorised. It's the same with all parts, I've had a new engine sensor fitted and that had to be sent back - IM replaced that before getting the OK so it must just be a question of value. I've tried to contact Watchdog and European Commision - no reply from Watchdog and only a standard response from EC.

Surely if enough people log the problem here we can put pressure on IM / Subaru Holland to sort it out.

Richard
Old 08 January 2001, 07:05 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

well, you gets what you pays for
Old 09 January 2001, 10:31 AM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

IM in their arogance, stupidity, and lack of business acumen, have missed out on a whole heap of business here.

Subaru Holland have sold about 2000 RHD imprezas so far into the UK. Add to this imports from all the other countries, and there must be several thousand cars not imported by IM.

If they had welcomed all these imports with open arms and offered good service, and a free 3 year warranty, then they would have benefited from several £M in servicing deals.

Also, all these thousands of car owners would have probably become loyal to IM, possibly replacing their cars with them in time.

And, if we all choose to fill in JD powers surveys, which I will, then they would have got a better result instead of a right good slating.

Companies, like IM, who dare to treat their customers with such contempt, risk at the very least losing market share, and at worse going out of business.
Old 09 January 2001, 01:33 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ^Gazzer^:
<B>

If they had welcomed all these imports with open arms and offered good service, and a free 3 year warranty
[/quote]

Anything else you'd like? perhaps a free holiday? mortgage subsidy? Once you've been given your cake, and eaten it, would yo also like them to wipe your **** afterwards??

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ^Gazzer^:
<B>
Also, all these thousands of car owners would have probably become loyal to IM, possibly replacing their cars with them in time.

[/quote]

"you've been so nice to me, I'll admit, I was wrong to go for the seemingly cheap option"?

<B>

And, if we all choose to fill in JD powers surveys, which I will, then they would have got a better result instead of a right good slating.

[/quote]

GIVE ME CAKE, LET ME EAT IT OR I'LL TELL?
I might be wrong, but with the DVLA sending out the JD Power surveys now, AFAIK only UK supplied cars will get the survey. It is after all a UK survey

"I told them to **** off, and now that I want to be their friend they won't play ball with me....DAD....M-U-U-M.....!

[This message has been edited by GaryC (edited 09 January 2001).]
Old 09 January 2001, 03:30 PM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi GaryC - I see you are fed up with winding up Sickboy on his Watch Dog thread.

I'll re-iterate the final line of my first posting 'NB. I've read all the 'you pays what you get' EU/UK warranty opinions so please don't bother posting any more I'm quite happy with my lot.'

So PLEASE keep this thread sane (thanks Sunlip) - I shall continue to record my progress with IM Warranty issues both from a service level and a technical perspective. You can make your own mind up if I receive a satisfactory response.

Phil (still happy with his lot)
Old 09 January 2001, 04:08 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Phil,

I had the same problems as yourself. After a lot of p***ing about I managed to get Subaru Netherlands to accept the clutch as a warranty claim, although they did reject it initially (even though the local dealer stated it was a faulty clutch).

This was only after sending the clutch and flywheel out to my Dutch dealer and letting him pick up the chasing for me.

The thing is you'll probably have to take the risk of paying for a new clutch here and then waiting, with a baited breath, for Subaru NL to accept it.

It's a poor way of them doing business, but hopefully they'll succumb to a bit of common sense!
Old 09 January 2001, 04:46 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

PhilH,
I got fed up winding sickboy too, so I thought I'd take a look at the background. I must admit that it makes a change to see someone doing things in a constructive manner instead of moping about it. Maybe a few others could take a leaf...

Good luck

FB
Old 09 January 2001, 04:58 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

The way i understand it, clutches are NOT normally covered by the Dutch warranty, several of the Dutch guys have had problems getting Subaru Holland to authorise clutch replacements, and as the warranty is with Subaru Holland, as it is them that got your money for the warranty, NOT Subaru UK, then it is they that have to authorise the work.

Subaru UK, have to charge any work to Subaru Holland, for the warranties, and if holland wont play ball, then its unlikely they will do the work under warranty !
Old 09 January 2001, 04:59 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I don't know where you got the 24-48hrs response time from. My dealer mentioned in conversation that it was more like 14 days.

Best of Luck

Josh
Old 09 January 2001, 05:43 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Just as a point of order, if surveys come from the DVLA then we, the cheapskates, will get 'em too. My V5 says "Declared new at first registration" as do most other peoples'.

If yours doesn't, get it changed by writing a nice letter to the DVLA

I think expecting IM to give a free 3 year warranty is in cloud cuckoo land. It would be nice if we had the option to buy one, but that ain't going to happen either.

Bed is made, I'm lying in it.

Nick.
Old 10 January 2001, 02:02 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by PhilH:
<B>Hi GaryC - I see you are fed up with winding up Sickboy on his Watch Dog thread.

[/quote]

Never started, merely posted one thread with an opinion that was not directed at Grey Imports in the slightest?? don't be so sensitive and read more in a post than is written!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by PhilH:
<B>
I'll re-iterate the final line of my first posting 'NB. I've read all the 'you pays what you get' EU/UK warranty opinions so please don't bother posting any more I'm quite happy with my lot.'

So PLEASE keep this thread sane (thanks Sunlip) - I shall continue to record my progress with IM Warranty issues both from a service level and a technical perspective. You can make your own mind up if I receive a satisfactory response.

Phil (still happy with his lot)[/quote]

My previous post was in response to 'gazzer' and what I felt were ludicrous comments! - Free 3 year warranty still chuckling about that one In the nicest possible way "I wasn't talking to you", Relax

Phil I am glad you are happy with your lot, (and I sincerely hope you are just as happy, when you have ended your current Subaru ownership) I am too
Old 16 January 2001, 06:01 PM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Latest update:

So my prediction was correct - 'either bring the vehicle to Holland for the repair under warranty or send us the parts before we consider paying up. Oh and by the way there is no guarantee that we'll pay up.' - that's the reply from Subaru NL for a request for them to authorise the claim for the faulty clutch under warranty (which is supposed to be an EU wide warranty).

More positively both my local dealer and IM have been very helpful in the process as was my Dutch dealer who provided local confirmation of the Subaru NL stance.

Personally I think the Subaru NL stance is unacceptable and I intend to pursue further.
Other than taking the risk of paying up front can anyone suggest an alternative approach? Am I the only one in the UK in such a situation? Has anyone been through this process before? Has anyone been successful in obtaining credit back from Subaru NL for a clutch replacement? By all means email me direct.

[Edit for spelling.]

[This message has been edited by PhilH (edited 16 January 2001).]
Old 16 January 2001, 06:02 PM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

PS - this thread should now be titled 'EU Import - Clutch Warranty issue with Subaru NL'.

Phil
Old 16 January 2001, 06:28 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

As is said in my previous post, i believe even the Dutch guys cant get paid out on the clutch, as it is not covered by the Dutch warranty under normal circumstances. I seem to remember several threads on this from Dutch owners several months ago !
Old 16 January 2001, 07:32 PM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ian

However, the clutch was not presented as the issue in an email response I received today from my Dutch dealer. It was the location at which the warranty work takes place which seems to make the difference i.e. NL. Which for an EU wide warranty is unacceptable and discriminatory.

Phil

[This message has been edited by PhilH (edited 16 January 2001).]
Old 16 January 2001, 11:04 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

When I bought a Peugeot from France a few years ago, the steering wheel was replaced (under warranty) by a UK dealer and I had nothing to pay and no hassle.

My Impreza from Holland came with a book listing all the dealers in Europe as the warranty is 'Pan-European'.

This situation is just ridiculous and Subaru are doing themselves no favours by not resolving this problem. JD Power survey results could be interesting next time around.

Kevin.