Sponsored by:

Turbo v Jap Imports v Dingy!!! v 911's etc at Dono

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2001, 06:30 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Wink

I have a UK Turbo as most will have seen today at dono!

I feel i was a quick as anyother Scooby Doo on the track!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have only a K&N induction kit, Magnex Centre+Magnex B/Box-- total cast?? under£400!
no chips etc!!!!!

i could give as good as any 280bhp import!
360bhp Cossie (except that Westie!! lol John, Thanks)
911's only had more power on the straights, i could brake and corner as good if not better!!!!!!!!!!! but there cars £60K+ compaired to a £20K car!

Dingy let me down, he did not get chance to show me how it's done! i'll not say any more! lol, think i passed him a few times! lol

if anyone wants to know what Scooby to go 4, you can not go wrong with a sandared uk turbo,
its as much fun as any other Scooby u can buy.

I have not been dissapointed to day at all with my car!

nice to see everyone again,
c u at Oulton Park in a few weeks, not on track tho 4 me!

Phil
Old 13 January 2001, 06:32 PM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Yeah, but that Capri Ghia wasted the lot of ya!

Old 13 January 2001, 06:41 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

you see i didn't mention him did i!!!!!!!
i tried to keep that one quite!!lol

you r rite!! he did.........lol

Phil

Old 13 January 2001, 06:49 PM
Andrew O'Hara
Scooby Regular

That Capri Ghia was driven by Bill Green who has forty years of racing behind him and who is also a member of BRDC.

Need i say more...

Great day though

Next time will be on track.

Thanks to Mike for the ride in the Saphire Cossie and Mark (Tyres Northampton).

Old 13 January 2001, 06:50 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes the Capri Ghia!!

Slightly modded Cosworth 24v 3+ litre V6's me thinks.

Lee
Old 13 January 2001, 06:53 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Andrew posted at same time

I think mike deserves an award for most flames produced from a car that isn't actually on fire.

Lee
Old 13 January 2001, 07:13 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Salsa King.
Talk about blowing your own trumpet!!!
I seem to remember a certain Scoob that you very kindly let past a few times.
For my report on the RS board, go to

Trending Topics

Old 13 January 2001, 07:44 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I am freezing! trying to thaw out

Dont recall any capri giving me a hard time?

Then again, i dont recall any car giving me a hard time.

Great to see you guys again!!
Old 13 January 2001, 07:55 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

I am now even more sorry that I missed all the action ... especially Dingy being put in his place .... well done guys
Old 14 January 2001, 12:40 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Lee
you put in a few lines what i was tryin' to say!!!! lol,
'not tryin' to blow my own trumpet'!!! lol

I Had as much fun as anyone!!!

stef
i know, u know and everyone Knows how good u r. your one of the best drivers out there! your car also is UK car, with a little mods on it, you know what you are doing on track! I move over cus u IMTIMIDATE me when you whizzzzzzz up behind!, on the back straight it felt you left me standing!!!!!!

Rannoch
can't fault the 911's, your right also, But i hav only upgraded to Scooby 4 pots, which worked v. well 4 me on the day. a scooby can give a good show aginst one tho don't you think?
When a car comes up behind like they did i moved over when it was 'safe' to let them pass, MOST of us are in our cars that we drive home in, its a fun day! NO RACING between each other! do u want to 'push' 'be pushed' and spoil the day cus u feel you have to go faster than u feel you ourt!!

did you see the LOTUS come off!!!???

safer to let cars go that you know are 'faster than yourself' than think you can keep them on your bumper!!!

'better to keep up with the car in front than in front of car car behind'???? lol
let the car behind pass you...
think thats a golf course term!!
in front of the game behind etc etc!!...lol u know what i mean!
i'm talkin rubbish again! lol

there plenty of room on track to let people go so u have a clear track infront+behind you, a well organised day, once again.

Dingy
only pullin' your leg m8!

if you've not been on track,try it at least once, you'll be surpried what your scooby doo can do!

Phil
Old 14 January 2001, 05:54 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cracking day, yet again!

Big thanks to Salsa King, Stef and Iang(hippy)for the passenger laps.

Have to agree with ya Phil, your car was performing very well, very smooth and consistent!

Cheers lads

Paul
Old 14 January 2001, 09:20 AM
dingy
Scooby Regular

Right my key of events.
There were 4 of us, Caviler, MK II, Westie and an RST.

We all went out with ice on the track for the mornin....so i could get any traction down...wheel spinning in low boost in 5th gear.....gee i wonder why i was tip toeing round the bends.....

Then i had a clucth cable go.....what a ******* as it way geting drier, but the track was very very slippy..

The Caviler Turbo seals gave in, so a bit of a let down there. Mike's (not R) Westfield was one of the fastest cars there whoopin most cars including the scoob's but diastater came when his single wheel studd snapped off goin into craner at about 115mph...sorry but that deserves credit too i think stef
Ollies RST had problems, cam seal went chucking oil on to the slicks...simple spinning..(oh and then some scoobie to$$er came over and told him how to drive...well you can kiss our ar$s's who ever you are...oil-wheel=spin but i guess thats not in the scooby drivers manual is it).

I did whoop harj like he was stood still down pit straight, but ice on the entry to redgate made is completly sideways....and harj came past....and i did have clutch problems..
Got a new cable of John Felstead...Cheers Mate - top bloke...
And we were fixed...it did the same...with a couple of jubilee clips we were away..but by this time i wasn't interested in racin anyone just keepin the car in a straight line...Jay B will vouch for how slippy the track was in my car.....sideways for 20meters come out of the old hairpin.....

I took craner at about 95-100....but she was sliding back end out.....to which i could always catch...

so who visited the gravel then....stef can you enlighten us.....

Hello to everyone i saw......cheers harj for the help......and the banter....

Right as for the scooby lot, because i drove most of the time in third and fourth with no clutch i think it was a bit un fair.....and no low gear into the corners.....sorry i didn't put on more of a whooping, but i did say i was having troubles and did let the scoob's past so i didn't cause any accidents in the bends.....4th gear kind of thing.

Salsa....i let you past Mate...did you pass my on the back straight...did yer...

Stef past me on the back straight...i was in low boost....speeding up and slowing down just to make a point..low boost is about 240bhp....in the icey weather....
I know i have trouble in the bends...but this can be fixed...your scoobs aren't every goin to be as fast as mine in a straight line. so its gonna be an interesting year..i have got some 9" rims for the back and full slicks to help with the corners....

Nice to meet fellow SIDC members...i will beat you lot very soon..

Rebecca, no one put me in my place at all...i'm friends with all the people i wind up and its all in good humour..

next stop SIDC event at Oulton Park..

and i will have a clutch by then.....

ps scoobies suck
Old 14 January 2001, 09:53 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dono was indeed a top day yesterday - did 150 track miles and was starting (only just) to get the hang of it.

Sorry to let your balloon down Salsa-King (but only just a bit - as respect to you, you were quick) unless you have uprated your brakes, you will not have been matching the Carrera RS...

...having moved from 4-pots with hoses and Pagid blues, which were better than the standard set up on track, I now have APs which are in a different league, and I suspect that the porker (well at least the blue one that was driven well) was at least a match if not better in braking. His handling was rather good as well.

From my own experience I would say that the brakes have made a much bigger contribution to my speed (also getting some track experience helps) than extra power. The brakes really shorten stopping distance AND mean that I can squeeze more top speed on the straight bits. So a big hint, all Scoobs are great, and with BIG BRAKES, they are even MORE fun

In terms of Scoobs, its all down to driver ability, I know for a fact that my car is faster than Stefs, but even on the back straight his better exit speed from Coppice will have him pulling away.

Similarly, Willie Greens Crapi only has 210bhp - and he is very quick.

Top day tho' and I won my little bet that someone (924) would go off on the parade lap

[This message has been edited by Rannoch (edited 14 January 2001).]
Old 14 January 2001, 10:13 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Stef, the only reason people get out of your way, is that they don't want to visit the outfield/mud with you!!!!

Dan
Old 14 January 2001, 10:50 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

What a top day!!

Big thanks to John and the Westfield and Kryton with his RB5. Great fun, especailly following the Sierra Cossie bleching 3ft flames everytime he lifted off

Great to meet loads of you as well.

The convoy up the M1 was interesting as well. The looks we got - 6 Scoobs led by Blowdog's ever-so-subtle Evo Mak

Looking forward to the next one already.

Cheers

Chris
Old 14 January 2001, 11:07 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Great day all round, I remember a few of the faster cars going by me but I don't remember Sals King in his Scooby going by????

Lucky for me I left after lunch, but when on the way home I realised I had a chunk of metal missing from one of my discs . Scoobies seem to be the winning form on track and there were a couple of quicker ones that got by me, RS Boys were a good laugh even when I passed Dingy, I thought I was nearly going to collide with him a couple of times as he was too slow round the corners .

See you all at Oulton

Harj.......

PS. That Capri of *******, I passed it but not with ease
Old 14 January 2001, 11:14 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

I had a great day too.. far more track time than at the November meet. I went through 2 tankfuls rather than the half tankful last time.

It was scary spiders in the first session, wheel spinning practically all the way up the start straight.

Craners sideways at 100 mph ? You need more downforce Dingy !

It seems that while my little Exige sticks like glue to the track, it's slightly lacking in the oomph department compared to your Scoobies.. which is why it's now booked in to have a supercharger fitted to kick out 330 BHP/Ton.. All that power AND downforce.. oh yes !

The most unnerving experience of the day was to see Stef bigtime sideways and all over the shop only 5ft from my rear. I tend to let him go on his merry way (giving LOTS of space for him to do so)

[This message has been edited by DavidBrown (edited 14 January 2001).]
Old 14 January 2001, 11:27 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

You must have a short memory Harj as I was in salsa-kings car when he went by you.

His car did perform well all day and he had the racing line spot on 90% of the time.
Its all friendly banter between ourselves and between ourselves and the RS guys but the point is he had as much fun in his UK car as did anyone else, so those who cant afford a P1 or 22B come along and enjoy.

Just one heart stopping moment coming through craner at 100mph+ the red Series 1 RS Turbo parked on the racing line, nearly took his wing mirror off.

Cheers
Lee

Old 14 January 2001, 02:33 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Just about thawed out now, driving home was damn cold, losing my gloves didn’t help!

The first session was a real laugh for me, the ice made it interesting I was amazed quite how slow people were driving though, 90% of the track was perfect, it just took one lap to suss out the dodgy stuff and then it was all systems go for big boost.

The pit straight was hilarious, getting wheelspin all the way down there to the braking point the first few laps.
I had the usual minor issues to deal with but nothing that couldn’t be handled on the day.

I managed to give quite a lot of passenger rides, managed 2 people per session on average. I am seriously considering a women only policy for the passenger seat though, apart from the weight advantage it’s always nice to get a kiss after quick run on track. LOL

I was impressed by the way some of the scoobies went on track, IanG’s P1 in particular seemed to accelerate well. Jays didn’t hang about either, seemed very stable down craner, good job I was awake though because I could have a had a biggy with Jay braking into the pit straight chicane. I was relieved to see he got away with it, I was told afterwards he couldn’t see me and was looking so hard for where I was he forgot to brake.

Big grins catching stef, I seemed to haul him in pretty quickly, he was running on M1144’s which explained that one, they really aren’t up to track use, especially with stef driving who likes to push the brakes hard. Thanks for spraying me with 10 tonnes of $hit stef, it’s always a laugh watching you chuck the car sideways, but being in an open car is not fun when your going off line on purpose to spray mud all over me. Don’t do it again please.

I took the 22B for a quick blast in order to give an American visitor a run, that car is so easy to drive quickly, complete opposite to my Westfield. I think Andy from California was glad he made the effort to come up north, he only arrived on Friday night and took a train from Bristol at 6am to get to Donington, real enthusiast. Thanks to everyone who gave him a run and in particular ChrisL for running him to/from the train station.

Thanks yet again to Mark and the guys from Tyres Northampton, my rears were bald by the end of the day, without the backup from these guys I would have big issues re tyre legality after a track day.

Thanks also to Rob Mac and the rest of the Donington staff, as usual the day was well run.

Only car I had problems with was the megabusa Westfield, not because it was quick, it wasn’t, but the bugger either didn’t use his mirrors or didn’t want me passing him. I had to wait till the pit straight every time I caught him as he just wouldn’t move over for me and I wont pass on the right, safety is #1 priority for me.

So top day with good company, looking forward to Oulton a great deal.

OH, final reminder <B> GET YOUR OIL AND FILTER REPLACED ON YOUR SCOOBY NOW!!!!! </B>
Old 14 January 2001, 03:00 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You tell 'em John

I've e-mailed the Impreza oil guide to SDB so all being well it will be on the first Scoobynet CD.

Sounds like I missed a good day out on Saturday.

I should be at Oulton Park though, see you all there.
Old 14 January 2001, 03:21 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Dingy.
Don't remember that particular incident, but what about the other half-dozen or so occassions?

Phil.
Stop it, you're embarrasing me!
I don't mean to intimidate you mate.
You are certainly a very smooth driver, and at least you have the courtesy to move over for faster cars, unlike certain other charge cards I could mention. Don't forget though, most drivers don't have the lack of mechanical sympathy that I seem to be suffering from!

John.
Sorry chap! Won't do it again.

Stef.
Old 14 January 2001, 03:48 PM
craigamungos
Scooby Regular

Talking

As yesterday was the first time i'v been on a track day then all i'v got to say is "When's the next one". A BIG thank's to Salsa-King for the oppertunity to be his passanger. I must agree with all you UK scooby owners, I followed Salsa-King and Logiclee to Donno yesterday and as i have a Sti which is ment to be 280BHP i couldn't realy tell any differance between mine and Salsa-King's car.
Harj didn't want to be cheeky yesterday but next time your on track any chance of being a passanger Car looked great and i understand your getting a new one!
Look forward to hopefully meeting more of you at oulton on the 27th.
Old 14 January 2001, 05:39 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi all

cracking day.. (I only stayed for the morning - but had a great time)

Nice to meet so many people from scoobynet again.

A big thank you to Stef for his part in the organising of it all, and of course to Rob, Donington, and last but not least Tyres Northampton.

Track behaviour seemed to be a bit better than last time I was there, which is great.

The slippy conditions in the morning were superb! I am so desperate to drive donington in the wet now!

Ian's P1 felt lovely. If his is indicative of the masses, prodrive really did a great job on the set-up.

JohnF
"Then again, i dont recall any car giving me a hard time"
You wasn't paying much attention then mate!!

You wasn't hanging about though!

DavidBrown's Exige looked and sounded the business on track, it was nice to see a couple more as well (I think organised by
Old 14 January 2001, 06:32 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

You've lost me Si?

I seriously cant think of a single car there that came close? especially when it was very slippy. I lapped most cars twice in that first session, talk about driving miss daisy!

I was surprised in particular about catching the Exige's down craner, that really shouldnt happen!
Old 14 January 2001, 06:52 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I don't think the Exiges were being driven anywhere near their capabilities, as I doubt there'd have been many cars there that would've stayed with them if they were being driven in anger.
I think lots of owners are just there to enjoy their machinery rather than go completely ***** out like some of us, which is understandable.
Rob Mac seems to think Oulton should suit them well.

Stef.
Old 14 January 2001, 06:53 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes cracking day, shame I didn't get to meet many of you too busy getting as much track time in as possible. Had quite an expensive day, had to change all my pads at lunch and got through 5 tyres (Ouch, cheers to the Northampton tyres guys for that! thank god they were there!)

Nice to meet Mike R, Stef and Jon Felstead finally. And big thanks to Mike R for the spin in his car - that is so so fast I thought I was going to wet myself. Don't think I've been so scared in my life !.

Even more scary was Stef loomin in the mirrors in every corner ! how he does that, I do not know given the distance Mike was pulling on the straights.

I think I got overtaken by just about everyone, tried to get out of everyone's way fast enough - shame not everyone was so obliging. Oh and being overtaken on the corners I did not appreciate at all (not a Scooby, don't want to mention who).

Scariest moment - going round the icey corner in the morning to see a certain Saphire Cos pointing towards me, I hit the brakes and the ice at the same time. Oohh errr.

Cheers to Stef for organising the whole thing.

Ps I was the Silver MY98 with prodrive backbox and the black bootloader thing, generally with smoke pouring off tyres and brakes, completely avoiding any type of racing line and being overtaken.

Pps Did anyone get any pictures ?
Old 14 January 2001, 06:58 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Gary,

Used two rolls of film, don't know if I got you or not. Will have the photo's Tue, or Wed will know then.

Will have to get a digital camera, I keep spending all my money on the car though.

Lee
Old 14 January 2001, 07:08 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

John you lump hammer head! don't you remember me flying by you down Craner???? Come on mate, that was a humilitating moment for you LOL

If anyone can kick Johns *** on track, its me!

Old 14 January 2001, 07:08 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers Lee, my license no is R** YSS
Old 14 January 2001, 07:12 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

John
The trouble is, when you are going quickly (as you were), it is not easy to notice people gaining on you from way back. Where as for the guy behind, it is easy to see the gap closing up.

Stef
The Exige is astranomically more challenging to drive than a scoob.

The Exige may well be a quicker car on track than a scoob, but if you take the same novice driver and put them in the two cars, the scoob will be quicker. The reason is that an average driver can drive a scoob far faster than they can a car like an Exige. This does not mean that the Exige is slower or that the drivers were not trying. It simply means that it takes a whole lot more skill to punt them along.

Simply staying on the track in an exige is more challenging that throwing a scoob sideways into a bend.

Cheers

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon de Banke (edited 14 January 2001).]

Quick Reply: Turbo v Jap Imports v Dingy!!! v 911's etc at Dono