driving a car with no reg plates

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2008, 02:13 AM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default driving a car with no reg plates

Hi Guys, Your opinions please?
The guy who imported my car from japan has just said it has passed it has passed its MOT today (FRIDAY)
I have inurance on the car (I have inusured it using the chassis number).
However the car is not registered yet, but he says I can drive the car from the MOT station to my address to my address on SUNDAY WITHOUT REG PLATES as im driving it back from a MOT (which it passed FRIDAY) (the law says you can drive to and from pre-booked mot with no tax and reg plates). Do I drive it back? If i get pulled i will have to prove i am driving back from a mot it passed friday even though its a sunday. I will have insurance docs on me and mot but no tax or reg plates?
Old 12 July 2008, 03:26 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

think due to it being 2 days apart u might have some problems mate, i always knew u could drive a car with no mot to a pre booked mot but not sure on plates to be honest, they could argue that the car should stay at the garage till plates are fitted
Old 12 July 2008, 03:35 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Might be worth calling by your local plod-shop for advice. They may be able to issue you with a statement saying that the issue has been discussed and they are satisfied that there is no deliberate attempt to break any relevant law, which you could produce in the event of any subsequent enquiry. We recently got done for failing to display a lost tax disc, and as we were 300+ miles from home on holiday for 2 weeks it was pretty difficult for us to acquire a replacement. A local desk sergeant provided us with a letterhead with his details on and a brief explanation which we then displayed in the screen. Got off with the fine too with a well worded letter
Old 12 July 2008, 08:58 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

You'll be fine, legally you're entitled to drive *straight* to & from the MOT station without plates/tax ...Just make sure you take all your import docs with you, just in case you get stopped.

I went from Liverpool to Brum without plates ...via Stoke & it's endless SPEC enforced roadworks ...which was fun
Old 12 July 2008, 09:29 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I thought plates were included in an mot test these days so how did it pass?
Or is it like the spare wheel part, only included if present.
Either way on a quick Sunday run your probably unlikely to stumble across the law on your way home.
As said already just carry all the documentation you have and with a reasonable bobby you should have no worries.
Nik.
Old 12 July 2008, 10:06 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As DazW said above, you'll be perfectly within the law driving to and from an MOT testing centre with no plates. My old Scoob was driven with no plates on when I was in NI and I was insured on the chassis number. No problems whatsoever
Old 12 July 2008, 05:32 PM
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

DVLA Rules

A vehicle that is permanently imported for use in Great Britain (GB) must be registered and taxed as soon as possible after it arrives in the country. The vehicle should not be used or kept on public roads until the registration and vehicle tax formalities have been completed.
However, if the vehicle needs to have a single vehicle approval (SVA) or MOT test in order to be registered, the vehicle may be driven to and from the pre-arranged test appointment. Thereafter, the vehicle must be kept off the road until the registration formalities have taken place.

Application for registration should be made to your nearest Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office. It is not possible to offer an 'over the counter service', registration usually takes between 48 and 72 hours.
Find your nearest DVLA local office