Sponsored by:

Fitting Sti Rear Lights to a classic

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2008, 08:14 AM
Classic_Marc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting Sti Rear Lights to a classic

I've just bought a set of sti rear lights for my99 classic. I've been reading up about how to fit them.

On the Rb5 owners club is a great step by step guide.

My STI fitting guide - RB5 Owners Club Forum

But on here he uses Clear Silicone to seal them. I've been reading other threads and most of them say to use mastic sealant and that silicone will more than likely leak.

Could some one please tell what the difference is, and me what you have experienced while fitting sti rear lights.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 10 July 2008, 08:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT use silicone!

Silicone sets/goes off, and is not really meant for VERY wet places such as a car at speed.
Further to this, IF/WHEN the lights need to be removed again, eg, for repair, re-seal etc etc, it will be a nightmare of a job to get them out.

The correct stuff to use is a non-setting mastic. Mine came from a caravan dealer, and is called Carafax, but recent threads reckon that Halfords now sell it too. it's in a tube with a nozzle, same as silicone, and mine is light grey, but I believe it comes in black too. It's used to set parts onto a caravan that need permanent, flexible, removable waterseal, for example, and awning rail, which is screwed through the caravan side

Scrape all the old stuff off, don't forget to get the old stuff off the CAR too, clean the area, apply mastic to the lights in a continuous bead, seat light by hand, pushing firmly into place, and tighten down nuts EVENLY, ie: one end, then the other, then the middle, back to the first end, etc.

HTH, Alcazar
Old 10 July 2008, 12:29 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Sorry Alcazar i'm going to disagree.

I've used ordinary bathroom sealant ( a very wet area!) and never had an issue with leaks or going off or anything like that (over at least 5 years). As for removal, it's actually easier than the mastic which Subaru uses originally. I did remove all traces of mastic on both the body and lenses beforehand though.
Old 10 July 2008, 12:31 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

One thing i've always wondered though, is why didn't they just use a suitably thick gasket/rubber instead of mastic, as there's a perfect recess there in the lights...
Old 10 July 2008, 12:34 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I used some black goey stuff I had lying about - some sort of sealant anyway.

I used a tank cutter to make a hole for the fog light (look on UK light where the fog light is and just cut a hole in the STI light where the UK one is - easy) but all the swarf went into the light and you could see it inside. I filled the light with water and sloshed it about until it all came out. Left the light in the airing cupboard for a few days and it never went misty after.

I also had to change to bulb holders too. I'm not sure why and might have done it wrong but the bulb holders seemed different from UK to JDM. I had to cut and re-crimp a few.

Last edited by EddScott; 10 July 2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10 July 2008, 02:05 PM
turbogav
Scooby Regular

What Alcazar said. A search on IDL sealer on ebay should find the stuff. Mine too was grey, but think you can get it in cream as well. Doesn't cure like silicon so I reckon over the longer term this is the stuff to use as it will be more resistant to water ingress.
Old 15 July 2008, 02:05 PM
Classic_Marc
Scooby Regular

Default Fitting Sti Rear Lights

Thanks for all your suggestions. I fitted the lights the other day took me about 2 hours in total. I ended up using caravax as a mastic to seal it.

Left it in the garage for 24 hours.Going to use it today. Just waiting for it to rain to see if it leaks shouldn't be long the way this summer is going.

cheers again!