Sponsored by:

Thames valley police

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2008, 09:23 PM
matt75racing
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Thames valley police

Be advised boy n girls thames valley police are now using a dirty old blue ldv van pretending to be motorway / highway maintaince vehicle as a mobile speed trap
Old 09 July 2008, 09:31 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

as well as thrifty vans, an balck RS4, Vectra in steel blue/grey 02-06 shape and a Burgandy Avensis Estate just a few of teh undercovercars i have seen in and around Windsor
Old 09 July 2008, 09:54 PM
urdad
Scooby Regular

Corsa,Galaxy...
Cheers for the tip;where has it been spotted specificicaly..
Old 09 July 2008, 10:29 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

rs4 relif road, both vctra and avensis down the road with the windsor boys school on the way into town to the shell corner of alma road
Old 09 July 2008, 10:46 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

there was a thread on this before they were catching bikers out was on mcn website.biker got otu took pics of it as its not marked up etc and complained they said they haent tried to disguise the van in anyway at all only added a extra window put paint over bumper and put a gb sticker on and parked it in a layby so lookslike a van man
Old 09 July 2008, 10:52 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

OK, I'll play devils advocate. Why is it a problem what van they're using if you are obeying the law and not speeding?
Old 09 July 2008, 11:09 PM
urdad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
OK, I'll play devils advocate. Why is it a problem what van they're using if you are obeying the law and not speeding?

No one said it was a problem just discussing the usage of unmarked cars.

Trending Topics

Old 09 July 2008, 11:10 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

because sometimes i drive my car how it was made to be driven
Old 09 July 2008, 11:26 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

When I was in a taxi on my way to Dublin airport, the driver slowed down on the motorway, as did a lot of other cars. There was a really scruffy old white high top van, complete with blacked out windows parked at an angle on the left hand side, looked like it had broken down, but the driver said it was the Garda with a "safety" camera. The daft thing is, it was pissisting down, and everyone was slamming on the anchors as soon as they spotted it, very safe!
Old 09 July 2008, 11:26 PM
WetPatch
Scooby Regular

Because in some cases speed limits r there just to make money, u should be able to drive as fast as its safely to do so.
Old 09 July 2008, 11:31 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

have you always stuck to the limit then ???
Old 10 July 2008, 07:31 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 20withascooby
have you always stuck to the limit then ???
in answer to your question, mr blaster drives (or has admitted to driving) a civic diesel. in a recent thread he admitted to driving at approx 50-55mph on the motorway as his saves himself £1000s in diesel costs per year, and finds it upsetting when on say a nsl single lane carriage way when people over take him while hes doing 45mph.

nice guy, loves to preach the alternative approach to driving, you know not the jeremy clarkson book, the james may christian bible save every penny etc, buy deisel - suppose hes allowed an opinion
Old 10 July 2008, 07:37 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

I REALLY, REALLY wish that police forces would put as much effort into catching criminals they have to identify as they do those who go around with numberplates on

Easy targets, or what?

Alcazar
Old 10 July 2008, 09:34 AM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Most scamera vans have LITTLE to do with the police, they are run by so called **** erm I mean 'safety partnerships'.

Still, don't let the truth get in the way of a whinge about the rozzers
Old 10 July 2008, 10:17 AM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

i thought the vans had to have a picture of a camera on them?, there so sneaky these days, i saw one out in newcastle when we had all that snow a year or so ago, everyone braked was skidding all over the place, lorrys swerving. funnest thing is these vans, are never outside schools or parks etc etc (maby thats because 99% of motorists arnt stupid and dont speed past schools etc )

btw they do get a bonus on number of people caught. "fact"
Old 10 July 2008, 11:01 AM
tompka
Scooby Regular

These vans suck so much...

Don't know why but once there was a camera van in Newcastle with an un-marked copper car beside it, still to this day don't understand why they'd need both.

Anyway was doing the correct speed limit, just minding my own business when I saw the lights suddenly appear behind me, pulled over and the copper started having a go about the front plate being too low down, on the wrong angle, too small and having a picture of Scooby Doo on it as well...then he got on about the window tints being too excesive...

Best thing was his partner came over and apologised for him saying they arn't all w@nk3rs...suppose this was due to the fact I'd kicked off and started asking why they were pulling honest hard working people when someone is probably getting mugged or assaulted etc...

And in relation to Mr Blasters question...they'll pull you for anything!! even if it's to talk about your car they'll do it! mines always being pulled for numerous things. Either live with it or don't own a Subaru pretty simple don't you think?
Old 10 July 2008, 11:24 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i hate speed cameras, dispise them, want to burn them all.

however i do think they have a place, i don't think anyone would complain if they were within 200 yards of a school, its not that people object to them, its there use that has put people off them
Old 10 July 2008, 12:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Stainy
Most scamera vans have LITTLE to do with the police, they are run by so called **** erm I mean 'safety partnerships'.

Still, don't let the truth get in the way of a whinge about the rozzers
And the police aren't part of the "partnership"? And the police don't enforce it? And the police don't send out the letters?

Stop with the bullsh1t already

Alcazar
Old 10 July 2008, 12:34 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I have a device in my car which means that I NEVER get a speeding ticket and renders me invisible to any sneaky speed detector van!
Old 10 July 2008, 12:43 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
I have a device in my car which means that I NEVER get a speeding ticket and renders me invisible to any sneaky speed detector van!
ooh, ooh, tell us pete.

oh no, wait its your speedo isnt it
Old 10 July 2008, 01:42 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Who is pete?

And yes, well done, top marks, collect a medal ...... I have a speedometer.

I manage to manipulate my right foot in such a way that I can line the pointer thingy up with a number which is the same number that is on the side of the road in a circle thingy ......... an old man told me that it was better than any other device at avoiding a speeding ticket.

I have to say, it has worked better than I could have imagined - highly recommended for a stress free motoring experience
Old 10 July 2008, 01:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
ooh, ooh, tell us pete.

Nah its his dodgy ringpiece
Old 10 July 2008, 01:48 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

you trying to see how many ban's you can get pete? how many is that now?
Old 10 July 2008, 01:58 PM
stewyhambo
Scooby Regular

Default Thames Filth

We have the F**kin VOSA guys doing their checks almost everyweek along the oxford road in Reading. B***ards seem to have something going for pulling young geezer in impreza!!!! Shame they cant find any faults!!!! Keep pulling me in guys one day a bulb might be out!!
Old 10 July 2008, 02:42 PM
Julio Jordio
Scooby Regular

I've owned my Classic for almost 4 months now, and the only time I have been pulled was the same as the above the VOSA guys. And I dont have legal plates on, they are a different font, nothing unreadable etc but still illegal, yet they pay me no attention. (I wonder if its due to seeing me everyday driving it in a suit, perhaps they think I'm a respectable character? lol)

I find it amazing to be honest as I expected it almost every week in the Scoob.

I wasnt pulled in over 2 years of CTR ownership, yet my MR2 was pulled about 8 times! Strange...
Old 10 July 2008, 03:15 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

We've had the old bill hiding cameras in horse boxes in wales. They simple pull up, open one of the rear flaps and sit there. This was covered on the news as they had received lots of complaints.

If the camera was run by the saftey camera partnership it would have to be a very visible van with markings but because this horse box is run by the police they don't have to put out signs or have any markings etc. They can basically hid anywhere they like in what ever they like!!!!

have a look here:
YouTube - MCN news: Police hide speed camera in horse box
Old 10 July 2008, 03:43 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
ooh, ooh, tell us pete.

seen thes on tele its a little black box that u fit under neath your number plate they are sometimes sold as garage door jammers as they are illegal they jam up the signal and just get a error code on their little gun
Old 10 July 2008, 03:45 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 20withascooby
seen thes on tele its a little black box that u fit under neath your number plate they are sometimes sold as garage door jammers as they are illegal they jam up the signal and just get a error code on their little gun

i think the answer was a retorical question mate

**que another EPIC FAIL**
Old 10 July 2008, 03:56 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

Got pulled the other day going into sunderland. Car was waved off the road and invited to park alongside 2 chavved up saxos, an old M3 with more alterations than jordan and some kind of rover in full stealth livery.
I stepped out of the car in my "just on the way to the golf club dressed like a wnker outfit" and the young coppers jaw hit the floor.
He half jogged over to me and mumbled something about "judging a book by its cover" which I thought was funny / decent of him. I offered up the keys, asked if he wanted to check it over, but he said sorry for the inconvenience and have a nice day.
He then wandered back over to the assembled group of misfits with their tracky bottoms tucked in their rockports and carried on with the lesson of the day.
Like someone has already said, its maybe par for the course driving the cars we do, but sometimes its actually quite funny as well.
Old 10 July 2008, 05:58 PM
matt75racing
Scooby Regular

I cant believe some of the comments I have just read

If its a safety issues then logic says it should be a highly visible event with the proper vans and signage followed by a static camera being erected if its justified.

This van was on A329 nr J7 M40 it was mainly directed at traffic heading towards Thame just as they crest a rise .
This was as are 99% of these under cover traps a revenue earner and licence taker plain and simple.

As for the people that say they dont ever speed well you must be either lying or some of the most boring people alive. What do you do for kicks origami ? and you certainly dont belong on a fast car forum. Dont get me wrong there are plenty of times and places that speeding is unacceptable.
I have to pretty much keep my fast driving / riding for trackdays as I need my licence for my job and have already been done by a traffic cop hiding in a bush.
My issue is the sneaky and underhand way they go about it and please dont tell me the senior cops arent involved cause thats crap this van said TVP on it in tiny writing on the side

Quick Reply: Thames valley police