Sponsored by:

help with suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2008, 05:29 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with suspension noise

About 1 year ago I noticed first that sometimes I get a metallic bang/rattle kind of sound from what seems to be the front right of the suspension/wheel.
However this did not occur very often, but lately it started to happen more and more. The strange thing is that it does it mainly if I corner to the right a bit steeper and with a bit of speed - like a spirited roundabout or so. Also occasionally if I hit a hole with the right wheel and I have a bit of speed I can hear the sound. The sound is very harsh and quite scary, so I took the car to the dealer, and they have replaced the front struts and did wheel alignment.
I picked up the car 2 hours ago and the noise is still there.... Seems to occur a bit less and not over holes any more, but a bit faster cornering to the right immediately reproduces it.
Any ideas what this can be ? I have no clue on what it can be, and apparently dealer is clueless too...
Any help is appreciated
Old 09 July 2008, 09:53 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Hi Maci what scooby have you got ?
I have a similar problem with noise from the back off side of my 2006 STI. Its going back to the Dealer next wednesday so they can have a listen, hope I get more luck then you did!
Old 09 July 2008, 10:10 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Hi Maci what scooby have you got ?
I have a similar problem with noise from the back off side of my 2006 STI. Its going back to the Dealer next wednesday so they can have a listen, hope I get more luck then you did!
Hi there,

I have 05 sti
Old 10 July 2008, 09:48 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Check the nuts on your rollbar droplinks for tightness.

If one of these is even slightly loose it will make a lot of noise. Had this issue on the rear of a mates 06STi and it took ages to track it down as we were positive it was the exhaust hitting the bodywork.
Old 10 July 2008, 09:57 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

hi buddy

my 07sti has exactly the same sound when taking right hander's over uneven ground,the noise is generally a metallic rattle that seems to come up through the steering wheel area,has been into the dealer 3-4 times and still no fix,international motors claim its a charactoristic of the car,but im not convinced,so i will keep on taking the car in,even if it means they replace 99% of the parts in that area,they claim that the 05 on sti's had a differant steering rack and they got rid of the rubber bushe's,so this is what causes the rattle,but i have spoken to a couple of guys with the same age car as mine,and they do not have the problem

please post up if you find a cure as its driving me nuts

cheers marcus
Old 10 July 2008, 10:37 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

yes it is very annoying... Every time I start going fast in the curves it makes this noise and makes me stop driving fast grrrrr. It is a stron metallic ding-ding(hard to describe). Ill go back to dealer... if I get a remedy by any chance I'll post it ofc