Sponsored by:

what to do, whats it worth.

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2008, 10:37 PM
refugee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do, whats it worth.

I got a Sti v6 type R and the engine let go a few weeks ago, big end rumbling like a cement mixer.

I have since the day the engine went been thinking over what to do with her, can't get any closer to a desiding so wonder if you lot may come up with any answers I haven't thought of yet.

I've thought of a 2.5 short block, but not really flush enough so go that route.

Get a rebuild, got a price of £3k quoted by my local Subaru dealer for a rebuild and they will do the clutch and give 60k and 3 years warrentee.

Sell the car as is and let someone else do the repairs, or try to swop for a wagon scooby.

Dismantle the car and sell the parts off.

Any idea what the cars worth complete or in bits. The cars a 99 V and 56k on the clock MOT till next April and standard apart from the exhaust but in need of a new front bumper.
Old 08 July 2008, 06:34 AM
badgerface123
Scooby Regular

Location: deepest darkest dorset ripping up the A30 in a red V5
Arrow

advertise as it is and see what response u get

in the mean time look for a good used engine but this is a bit of a lottery put engine in wanted section

2.5l new engines ive seen for 2-2.5k
Old 08 July 2008, 09:57 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

keep it, save the money and get the conversion done

if i had the cash i would buy it and do it myself

depends on if you ahve use of another car, really need to money, really want a subaru up to you mate

not too sure how much the car would be worth as is
Old 08 July 2008, 05:07 PM
refugee
Scooby Regular

It's a bit of a lottery as you said getting a second hand engine, if it's anygood I'd be waiting for it to go bang.

2.5 short blocks are £2.550 plus Vat built and fitted to your car, but then you need a better clutch and and ecu up grade so the prices keep going up, I had a look at that route and very engine builder I spoke to said it'd end up costing £5k plus.

Would the extre money spent on a 2.5 motor make the car more sellable or valueble if I ever sold it ?

I have another mode of transport, but dont like driving everywhere in my van with all the tools in the back, when I leave it parked in London occasionally at nights I spend the whole time worrying someone is trying to nick my work tools, thats why I got the Impreza, I just park it and hope nobody keys it.

Last edited by refugee; 08 July 2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: missed a bit out, so it now makes sence
Old 08 July 2008, 05:18 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

imo the money you could sell it for plus the cost of an engine etc wil be the same as going and buying something similar

if i were you i would spend the money and have a 2.5ltr put in, i think if you did that you would see a return on the mone spent, if you went full hog, injectors larger turbo, fmic then no you woul dloose even more moeny as you would not get the return, as i would pay good money for a classic with a 2.5 conv
Old 08 July 2008, 05:39 PM
refugee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
imo the money you could sell it for plus the cost of an engine etc wil be the same as going and buying something similar
Thats what I have been thinking, sell the car and put the money I would have spent on the engine and buy a proper sorted type r