Sponsored by:

uk turbo to a STI??

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2008, 07:58 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uk turbo to a STI??

a friend of mine keeps toying with me about buying my car. i love my classic turbo 2000, but sometimes i do wonder if its worth going to an STI.

is it worth it?

the extra 60-70 bhp that you get, does it make taht much of a difference?
Old 04 July 2008, 08:21 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Oh yes. Makes all the difference. I went from a MY98 UK Turbo to an STi 6. Would never go back.

Last edited by James Neill; 10 July 2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04 July 2008, 08:21 PM
scoobzie
Scooby Regular

geta de-cat and filter on the car you have m8 and then remap it and you will have the extra bhp and torque i have the same car and done what i said what a diffrence it less hassle
Old 04 July 2008, 08:28 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

i just bought mine and I was looking at the STI etc but in the end the extra insurance etc is alot to pay, I bought the JDM 265 bhp wrx instead and found the insurance to be a hell of alot cheaper. I have now got a air filter going to do de-cat and re-map and should hopefully nearly meet the STI without the costs. So im sure if you do the same it will save you alot of hassle and money
Old 04 July 2008, 08:34 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davmcc75
i just bought mine and I was looking at the STI etc but in the end the extra insurance etc is alot to pay, I bought the JDM 265 bhp wrx instead and found the insurance to be a hell of alot cheaper. I have now got a air filter going to do de-cat and re-map and should hopefully nearly meet the STI without the costs. So im sure if you do the same it will save you alot of hassle and money
Surely when you notify the insurance company that you have modified your WRX with power increasing mods the insurance will be about the same as a standard STi

Plus STi's usually have higher rev limiters, stronger engines, better performing heads, different gear ratio's, better suspension and more aggressive limited slip diffs... total different driving experiance really.

Gaz
Old 04 July 2008, 08:36 PM
M535I
Scooby Regular

i went from a jdm wrx to a jwm wrx 260 and that was a massive diffrence but then again they are very easy to get to 300 bhp safley so just look at moding it upto the prefered bhp .
Old 04 July 2008, 08:43 PM
mart sti v3
Scooby Regular

picked up my sti today after owning a few jdm wrx,s and i noticed a big difference and havent even nailed it yet
but if your happy with the car you got just give it a few mods to get the bhp up a bit
Old 04 July 2008, 08:56 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

insurance will go up with bigger mods, but I dont think the de-cat etc should be mentioned, and the de-cat will add quite a few extra bhp im led to believe. And I am sure the STI is an overall better car but they want over £1000 for me to insure it. I just couldnt justify it, but saying that im paying £678 now. and as its an import it was registered as the lower bhp version as this never gets checked. Im not sure what complications this would have if I were ever to claim, but lets hope ill never need to.
Old 05 July 2008, 09:45 AM
tompka
Scooby Regular

Personally I don't see the point...

I've had a WRX and then went straight to a typeR because I didn't see the point of going to the STi. If I was going to pay more insurance then I wanted the best of the best with really good power, hence typeR.

Just do yourself some mods on your UK Turbo 2000 like the ones named above and you should have the same power as an STi. IF you don't want to pay more insurance then don't mod it or just...don't tell them...
Old 05 July 2008, 10:11 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Just a thought......if you have someone who wants to buy your car, have you considered this might be a good time to move to another marque? I only ask because you have a buyer for a car that is extremely difficult to sell and you are looking to replace it with something else that is extremely difficult to sell. Could be a good time to move on?
Old 05 July 2008, 10:57 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tompka
Personally I don't see the point...

I've had a WRX and then went straight to a typeR because I didn't see the point of going to the STi. If I was going to pay more insurance then I wanted the best of the best with really good power, hence typeR.

Just do yourself some mods on your UK Turbo 2000 like the ones named above and you should have the same power as an STi. IF you don't want to pay more insurance then don't mod it or just...don't tell them...
Does a Type R have more power than an STI
I thought it was just the gearing and 2 less doors but the same engine.
Old 05 July 2008, 11:31 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

owned a classic UK TURBO, moved to a modded WRX and boy what a difference, moved to a STI wow completly different car/experiance, then moved to P1 and agin what a differnece, back in a UK car now due to money shortage so sold the p1 and spent a 3rd of the money getting the car i have now.

all i will say is i have my uk car at 320bhp and yes althouhg it is fast it feels slow compared to the P1 running the same power, i found the way the power id put down in the p1 made it feel rapid from point to point.

so yes it is worth it but it will depend on what you want out of it, in this market and with fuel extra i plan on staying with what i have, untill the market goes up or levels off and fuel comes down. as mentiond we drive cars that are hard to sell why sell one to buy another which will be harder as history and horror stories tend to put some people off, stick with what you have as you now the car, put a little cash in to it, if youhave not already sort the suspension and brakes out forst it makes a big differnce on how fast the car feels brake later enter corners faster and exit the same way, then put some more power through it

just my two bits worth
Old 05 July 2008, 02:55 PM
STi_Si
Scooby Regular

Yes, it is worth it.....

Went from MY99 UK Turbo, to MY02 UK STi, then my current car, never looked back!
Old 05 July 2008, 03:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
a friend of mine keeps toying with me about buying my car. i love my classic turbo 2000, but sometimes i do wonder if its worth going to an STI.

is it worth it?

You have pm my friend.
Old 05 July 2008, 03:24 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18

is it worth it?

Have I missed something here?
What model STI?

Just mod the classic imo
Old 05 July 2008, 04:19 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

I'm with stevie1982 and a few of the others.. You love your car, you know your car with a few simple mods you can have what the STI has to offer.. I too have a MY00 uk Turbo recently had mine mapped again after doing a few bits n bobs and also running 320bhp... You could change to something else and it be nothing but a load of trouble and more hassle in the long run.. I have at times wished I'd done more research and bought an STI to start with but I know I'd still have wanted more and more from it as thats the type of car it is so would have still gone down the same route.. Depends what your end desire is I suppose ? Julie
Old 05 July 2008, 05:20 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

cheers Julie thought i must be thinking the wrong thing for a sec, car looks very nice you ever go down to the jap meet in reading, keep meaning to go but never get round to it.
Old 05 July 2008, 05:51 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm probably stating the obvious, but why not test drive a few STi's so that you can decide whether, for you, it would be worth changing. Then you can make an informed decision.

BTW I've got decat and remap on my UK turbo and it is a different car. Can't really compare it to an STi because of different gear ratio's and weight etc but still much better than before.

Cheers
Nick

Last edited by Nick_Cat; 05 July 2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05 July 2008, 07:46 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

insurance will go up with bigger mods, but I dont think the de-cat etc should be mentioned, and the de-cat will add quite a few extra bhp im led to believe. And I am sure the STI is an overall better car but they want over £1000 for me to insure it. I just couldnt justify it, but saying that im paying £678 now. and as its an import it was registered as the lower bhp version as this never gets checked. Im not sure what complications this would have if I were ever to claim, but lets hope ill never need to.
so youve just admitted on a public forum which has insurers as members that your policy is void - due to it being incorrect... well done
Old 05 July 2008, 07:51 PM
tompka
Scooby Regular

Well the first thing I've got to say here is the same as Chocolate_O_Brian well done for admitting that you've void your insurance by not telling them that you've modded it.

Second is, IF you crash or have your car stolen and need to claim on the insurance 9/10 times they wont give you the money once they look at the modifications under the bonnet if you havn't admitted what mod's it has to them.

Third I'm not 100% on this so don't quote me on it but I'm sure they can fine you or add to your insurance if you don't list all modifications to them...
Old 05 July 2008, 09:08 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

The only thing ive not mentioned is the de-cat and I would think not many people ring the insurance company when they do, as the vehicle would not pass an MOT without the de-cat so not even sure if that is purely legal in the first place. As for the version being registered as the lower version WRX this was done on import, and not done by myself so when you call for insurance and give the VIN they add the vehicles version not me.

Last edited by davmcc75; 05 July 2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05 July 2008, 09:13 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

The only thing ive not mentioned is the de-cat and I would think not many people ring the insurance company when they do, as the vehicle would not pass an MOT without the de-cat so not even sure if that is purely legal in the first place. As for the version being registered as the lower version WRX this was done on import, and not done by myself so when you call for insurance and give the VIN they add the vehicles version not me.

point being you still know about mods to the car and your not declaring them, pretty simple really. most insurance companies will look upon this very bad and it is a way for them to wriggle out any claims.

plus discussing and admitting it on here wont do you any good what so ever...
Old 05 July 2008, 09:15 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

ok ill take the point on board, and lets hope ill never have to find out.....
Old 06 July 2008, 11:25 AM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Morning stevie1982.. No, not made it to the Jap meets at Reading, are they held near the Madeski Stadium ? I did make it to the Wellington Country Park Jap Performance Show a couple months back, weather was just like today but with thunder & Lightening ?? Was hillarious on the way out, mud was now about 2' deep and real rutty in places & then you had the odd joker just making it worse
Old 06 July 2008, 05:01 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

My brother made the jump from a 94 WRX to a standard 98 STi Version 4 and oh my god what a difference, I cant believe how quick the STi is compared to a WRX your not just getting the extra grunt but your getting the whole package that the STi is, your getting better suspension, better brakes, more power with higher redline, better looking interior, and better bodystyling and stronger engine internals and gearbox, The thing is you would have to spend a lot of money on your turbo 2000 to get it to the spec of a STi.

If you can get decent money for your turbo 2000, might be worth a look at a STi, if not then the darkside is sometimes quite tempting!!!!
Old 06 July 2008, 07:37 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
My brother made the jump from a 94 WRX to a standard 98 STi Version 4 and oh my god what a difference, I cant believe how quick the STi is compared to a WRX your not just getting the extra grunt but your getting the whole package that the STi is, your getting better suspension, better brakes, more power with higher redline, better looking interior, and better bodystyling and stronger engine internals and gearbox, The thing is you would have to spend a lot of money on your turbo 2000 to get it to the spec of a STi.

If you can get decent money for your turbo 2000, might be worth a look at a STi, if not then the darkside is sometimes quite tempting!!!!
Couldn't have said it better myself, just need to get one now as sold my wrx, the sti I got last week had headgasket failure.
Old 08 July 2008, 11:19 AM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
point being you still know about mods to the car and your not declaring them, pretty simple really. most insurance companies will look upon this very bad and it is a way for them to wriggle out any claims.

plus discussing and admitting it on here wont do you any good what so ever...

Then when you get your insurance revoked, the insurance company will blacklist you and you'll get loaded like you've got a conviction for IN10 (driving without insurance, people!)
Old 08 July 2008, 01:11 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

so youve just admitted on a public forum which has insurers as members that your policy is void - due to it being incorrect... well done
Becasue im sure 'davmcc75' is the name on his insurance policy.....

Old 08 July 2008, 02:00 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SetoN
Becasue im sure 'davmcc75' is the name on his insurance policy.....

yes of course it is...

my point is its not hard to find out the guys ip address and then find all his details through this. all it takes is a couple of people in the know or a request from certain parties and said gentleman could be in a lot of trouble if his insurers find out.
Old 08 July 2008, 02:43 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

yes of course it is...

my point is its not hard to find out the guys ip address and then find all his details through this. all it takes is a couple of people in the know or a request from certain parties and said gentleman could be in a lot of trouble if his insurers find out.
Would an insurance company go to these lengths over a car that’s probably worth 3k max

Anybody ever hear of them looking on places like this??

Quick Reply: uk turbo to a STI??