Whats my Car Worth

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2008, 08:41 PM
Chrisn01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats my Car Worth

Hiya Guys

Recently put my scooby up for sale and not sure if iv priced it up right as iv spent a bloody fortune on it.
Heres a link which gives the full spec :Subaru : 310bhp Rare Limited Edition UK300

Also, apart from Piston Heads, wheres the best place to sell a scooby as I would like to sell it sharpish before my insurance renewal coms through

Cheers fellas
Old 03 July 2008, 09:22 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

You're in that bloody awful price bracket. More expensive would make it attractive to wealthier buyers who could afford the running costs. Cheaper would attact the Max Power brigade living at home with mum and dad who only drive at the weekends. You have to ask yourself who is going to buy a seven year old Impreza for 9 grand? It's no-mans-land.

If you want rid quickly then take the hit and trade it in. I fear that yours is the sort of car that will sit in the classifieds for ages until the price drops to nearer 6 grand and maybe lower. Sorry. Others will no dount disagree.
Old 03 July 2008, 10:03 PM
Chrisn01
Scooby Regular

Nnoooooo...... 6 grand

I paid £8500 last september and have spent a fortune on it

Surley the fact thats its a Limited Edition with low milage must make it worth more than that. I must have spent at least 4K or 5k on it since buying it
Old 03 July 2008, 10:25 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mods don't generally make it that much more appealing to people, I think people like to mod them themselves. I may be wrong.
Old 03 July 2008, 10:45 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yep... mods dont make it any more expensive,
i spent shed loads on my clio
cant get back what i spent on the respray alone
wiley
Old 04 July 2008, 12:57 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisn01
Nnoooooo...... 6 grand

I paid £8500 last september and have spent a fortune on it

Surley the fact thats its a Limited Edition with low milage must make it worth more than that. I must have spent at least 4K or 5k on it since buying it
Sorry, but think about it. The car is a year older. Fuel bills have gone through the roof since then, road tax will have doubled, no one can get credit, mortgage deals coming to an end, lots of other bills are much higher.....the list goes on and on. If you could return the car to standard and sell all the mods you might get more than that, but think hard about how much it is going to cost to keep running your car before you turn down a low offer. Don't forget the economic situation is probably going to get worse and the price of fuel increase even further this year and into 2009, so holding onto it might cost more than a quick sale.
Old 04 July 2008, 01:07 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
Sorry, but think about it. The car is a year older. Fuel bills have gone through the roof since then, road tax will have doubled, no one can get credit, mortgage deals coming to an end, lots of other bills are much higher.....the list goes on and on. If you could return the car to standard and sell all the mods you might get more than that, but think hard about how much it is going to cost to keep running your car before you turn down a low offer. Don't forget the economic situation is probably going to get worse and the price of fuel increase even further this year and into 2009, so holding onto it might cost more than a quick sale.

We're all dooooooooomed
Old 04 July 2008, 01:28 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

If you want my opinion, your advert smells of desperation ...... too many words have killed it.

Give the minimum info. don't blow the trumpet too loud ..... let the car do the talking!

Haggle on the reg when you get a buyer ... or include it in the sale.

£9000 for a 2001 Impreza is very heavy - it doesn't matter one jot what you have spent on it ...... indeed, as has been said above, the mods probably make it less saleable.

As has also been said, you are too expensive for the Chav who would love it - and too cheap/chavved-up for the discerning buyer.

You are caught between a rock and a hard place.
Old 04 July 2008, 01:32 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Prodrive Bugeye STIs sell for less. The UK300 is just a WRX bugeye with slightly less ugly lights. Those rears must come off ASAP - they'd put me off even contacting you.

And I like bugs more than blobs
Old 04 July 2008, 02:32 PM
zip929
Scooby Regular

I recently sold my 2001 bugeye STI.

I had it on ebay twice. No luck.
Had it on Pistonheads. No luck.
Put it on Autotrader and I sold it within the first week.

I also had a lot of mods (remap, decat, Walbro Fuel pump etc) and only 36,000m.
Had to let mine go for 7k in the end.
It is a buyers market at the moment.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 04 July 2008, 02:55 PM
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

Spending a fortune doesn't mean the car is worth more sorry to say
Old 04 July 2008, 03:09 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

9 grand - no chance.

I am slightly confused why you have had the car less than a year, spent all that money on it and then are selling, but fair enough.

Particularly as, as you say, the insurance is going to cripple you - a standard car is easy to price for someone who wants to spend 6 or 7 grand on a car. Yours has so many mods that if they are being honest, they will declare them all to the insurance company and then get stung far far more. So why do it - better to go with an unmolested one and obtain an accurate insurance cost.

You are basically looking for some one who is happy to buy an 7-8 year old car, albeit low mileage but still old, that has had loads of mods done to it, with someone who owns it less than a year?

Regardless of the reasons, as others have said you'd be better to reword the advert.

And as for the number plate R8 CEX - I think 2 grand is a bit of a joke as well, which serves people to think that you are trying to rip them off even more.

And finally, you say the car is quite rare but a quick search on pistonheads reveals there are 6 UK300's for sale - of which yours is the most expensive, so anyone looking for a limited edition UK300 has choice - and I doubt they'll go for the most expensive, regardless of miles.

Most limited editions are great in the first couple of years when limited means something. Over about 4-5 years old, they have been surpassed by other Limited editions and more modern technology, so it either means something (P1, RB5 etc) or it means little - your car is, I'm afraid, in the latter category.

Sorry to be harsh but feel you need to stop waiting for the phone to ring and getting lucky... and given there are 1,444 Impreza's for sale on Pistonheads, there's a load of choice.
Old 04 July 2008, 03:25 PM
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

Ow thats a bit harsh . I know there is the other scooby that appears on here and the guys asking silly money like £8500 waiting for a jackpot. See below

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...type-r-v5.html

Last edited by SqeekyMclean; 04 July 2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04 July 2008, 07:29 PM
Chrisn01
Scooby Regular

All points taken on board, I guess Im gona have to lower the price. Im only selling because business has gone down hill and probly wont have a job in a few months from now. But thanks for all the replys and if anyone is interested in nice scooby cheap, let me know :0)
Old 04 July 2008, 07:45 PM
Chrisn01
Scooby Regular

Iv looked at the other UK300's on Piston heads and cant find one for less that £7000 and thats with doubble the milage
Old 04 July 2008, 09:13 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Youre not going to get more by arguing with us though Chris. Values are dropping through the floor and unfortunately, the glut of lesser cars will devalue your car further.

Modified cars seldom attract a premium; so you will probably be better removing the parts, returning the car to standard, selling the parts seperately and trying to use the cars condition to enable you to sell more easily at a market price. The other alternative is to try to whether out the storm: its a big gamble though and youre likely to lose...