Best return for nearly new STI?

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2008, 04:17 PM
Kev2008STI
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best return for nearly new STI?

Hello all,

Due to tough trading conditions for my business, I need to free up some capital and fast. Unfortunately, this means by beloved 2008 STI must go (gutting on three fronts; 1) I have to sell her, 2) I will be taking that initial depreciations hit, 3) i'll be buying another once trading conditions improve again!!).

I was planning to keep the car indefinitely and I have never sold a car less than 3 years old, let alone only 3 months old! Does anyone know what my best option is for selling it swiftly, without taking a ridiculous a hit on the depreciation?

She is a Type UK, dark grey, immaculate condition, decent options....any ideas greatly appreciated ....

Kev
Old 19 June 2008, 04:19 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Have you tried going back to the dealer, they could probably shift it first weekend it goes on the forecourt.

You could go for a large AD in your local autotrader will be worth the money. May tempt someone whos interested but doesnt want to wait for dealer delivery etc.
Old 19 June 2008, 04:28 PM
Kev2008STI
Scooby Newbie

Are there waiting times at the dealers currently?

I did speak to my local dealer, but they are a very small dealership and they didn't seem too interested (which I will bear in mind when sourcing the next one!!).

Autotrader was top of my list, although deciding what price to advertise it for is the next crutial decision. Any ideas? Also, are there really private buyers with circa £23-24K in their pockets?

Thanks,

Kev
Old 19 June 2008, 04:33 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

You could try pistonheads mate as that is free, however IMO you will not get 24k, not with the fuel/tax prices at the moment,

IMO mate ,no offence meant but the market it pretty flat at the moment.

Good luck though.

Last edited by bluenosewrx; 19 June 2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 19 June 2008, 04:39 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Kev my local dealer said 3 months waiting list, but this was about 6 weeks ago.

Regarding private buyers not having 24k in their pocket they can still get finance etc, subaru warranty is transferable, so if its pitched a couple of k below showroom prices i cant see why people wont bite.

Although the market is flat there are still plenty of people with money to burn out there, although not me lol.
Old 19 June 2008, 04:48 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I fear you could be in for a big hit.

1)Credit crunch, so people needing credit to buy a car will see silly monthly repayments.
2) £400 tax & 20mpg
3) Imminent 40% increases in Gas/electricity bills.
4) People still not won over by the looks

The only chance you have is if someone is looking for a new one and doesn't want to be on the waiting list.

Fact of life. Impreza's lose money......... fast

Tried to sell my less than 1 year old 2005 STI PPP. Best dealer price I got was £16k. Still got the car today.

Good luck though.
Old 19 June 2008, 06:34 PM
Kev2008STI
Scooby Newbie

I'll advertise it and see how it goes; I am certainly not going to give it away!

Hopefully someone will see that the car is as good as new, and that I have taken the biggest hit on depreciation.

Dealer prices for Type UK ex-demo's (that will have ben ragged) seem to be about £24,950. I reckon i'll advertise it for £23K and see what interest there is.

Thanks for all of your thoughts - I am resigned to the fact that I am throwing money away doing this in the short term, but need to think of the bigger picture....

Kev
Old 19 June 2008, 06:51 PM
The Greenwood
Scooby Regular

There are no real waiting lists for new 2008 STI's, remember if you purchased your vehicle 12 weeks ago it will have been before the £1500 price increase which may help you with your sale. I sold one of these cars with only 120 miles on the clock (and still with my petrol in it!) for a customer who had just picked it up and then realised the seats were affecting an existing back complaint. It went for nearly list and was in the most popular colour (Grey), but this was when there were initial waiting times.
Old 19 June 2008, 07:28 PM
ek9/sti
Scooby Regular

A friend has done the same after 2 months of ownership and lost 4k on px with an EVO X