Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2002, 10:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Drive both, decide what you want and buy it

Newbie or not - its the same as buying ANY other car

If you want a babe Magnet it seems that the ladies love the 5-door more .................... hang on a minute, it could just be that I am drop dead Gorgeous

Pete

PS. One piece of advice, DONT get lumbered with Gold Wheels .... you will just get pestered by all the rent boys

[Edited by pslewis - 2/1/2002 10:35:00 PM]
Old 02 January 2002, 11:00 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I think they are both nice cars for different reasons..

I went for a Wagon as I needed the extra space.. although it would be nice to have a bigger spoiler... but you get two on the wagon instead.

I think they are something like 0.2 of a second slower to 60 and 3mph slower top end, roughly as I remember..

There are to my knowledge three 2 doors... although there could be more but I only remember 3 - The STi Type R Coupe - the 22b - the P1.... all three of which have even more power than the others.

Although there are some nice STi wagons...

I never heard it said that they were originally designed as a Wagon? where did you source that from?

If you need a powerful practical car there is not much else to choose from really.. which makes it damn lucky that the Wagon is such a lovely car... only driven a 4-door for a short distance and didn't notice any different...

Surely the less weight of the 4door over the wheels is made up for with the down force from the spoiler?

Edited because I could not spell Wagon correctly the first time around...

[Edited by Jolly Green Monster - 2/1/2002 11:07:48 PM]
Old 02 January 2002, 11:22 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR2 is slow! pre 2000 in the GT bar manages 0-60 in 7.2 & 135mph which is far slower than scoob & post 2000 is even slower with 0-60 of 7.9 with 130mph pah!
EVO is an ongoing arguement but they is both meaty beasts of a fine nature & the Skyline GTR has twin turbos so, while i h8 2 admit it, it is the daddy!
Si
edited kuz im a muppet!

[Edited by scooby_si - 2/1/2002 11:23:11 PM]
Old 01 February 2002, 06:00 PM
flak
Scooby Newbie

Question

Can anyone tell me if there is any performance difference (especially handling) between the 5 door wagons and the 2 or 4 door saloons?
Old 01 February 2002, 07:57 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Wagons handle better

There have been some debates on this before...shame search is down!

1. Impreza was originally designed as a wagon
2. More weight over the rear wheels.
3. Always ahead on trackdays

ps...rear strut brace makes them even better!

-A biased wagon owner!

flame suit on for ensuing debate!
Old 01 February 2002, 08:08 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Agree, wagons handle much better.

D.
(MY98 5 dr soon to be sold to make way for STi)
Old 01 February 2002, 08:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Wagons Rule! nuff said

From what I know there is not a lot in it to be honest.

Of course you can load more into a wagon, which could be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on your viewpoint.

Personally I love wagons (wonder why? ) mainly as they seem a little more stealthy than thier saloon brethern.

Plus quite a few of the famous cars on scoobynet seem to wagons! which is nice!
Old 01 February 2002, 08:56 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

hay im a 4 door boyo but they is all scoobs ya gota luv em init!
But if we're talkin looks then extra bit does spoil da style but as i say they r all boss so b told! lol
Si
Old 01 February 2002, 09:04 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

The Wagon gets the vote in the handling department, its also quicker

The Saloon gets the big spoiler - WE get the power!!

As for the 2 door, it was only the P1 wasnt it?? we Wagons kick *** there too - from A to B nothing is quicker ............. You ALSO get to carry your mum-in-law, wifey, kids and 3 dogs as well!! Win-Win

Pete
Old 01 February 2002, 09:14 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wagons everytime
Old 01 February 2002, 10:27 PM
flak
Scooby Newbie

The Wagon gets the vote in the handling department, its also quicker

The Saloon gets the big spoiler - WE get the power!!
So does this mean that the 5 door wagons have more grunt than the 2/4 door saloons?

If so the whats the power difference then? I'm a total scooby novice and dont really know that much about them at present.

I'm thinking about getting one in the near future...but not sure which to get WAGON or SALOON. Seems to be more wagons around, but must admit that the saloons look nicer, but wagons are more practical.

Nice to be able to get the mountain bike in the back and still give it large round the twisties.

Hmmmm decisions decisions...

Is there any difference when it comes to insurance, or are they both the same!

So many questions for a newbie hey!
Old 01 February 2002, 10:53 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Cool

LOL@pslewis - i know were i went wrong now - bloody gold wheels fitted to mine.

On another note I love my wagon - I can think of no better way to carry my (rather sizeable) drumkit around at speeds it was never designed to be carried at!

But I do admit to suffering from big-spoiler envy on occasions (but it's always only a passing phase!)

DP.
Old 01 February 2002, 10:56 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Wagons are tops IMHO

More of a Q car than being in your face like the 4dr. Means that people don't expect you to drve fast & that includes plod

Handling does appear to be better, which is illogical given that the 4dr should have a stronger shell, but I'm not being biased when I say that as Pete Croney agrees, amongst others.

Rear strut brace undoubtedly stiffens & transforms the handling Excellent vfm mod.

5dr doesn't have more power as standard & in fact is about 1 or 2mph slower on ultimate top speed. However, I'm sure the handling makes up for it

PTMW! is a babe magnet - Ez just loves it to pieces "Daddy, can we go in the bubaru? Please Daddy!"

Get one...

Old 01 February 2002, 10:59 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Oh & a properly "sorted" & driven Wagon will see off all kinds of exotica, both 2/4 dr scoob & other "things"

Been there, done it & got the scalps

(On track that is)
Old 01 February 2002, 11:09 PM
flak
Scooby Newbie

I think they are something like 0.2 of a second slower to 60 and 3mph slower top end, roughly as I remember..

If you need a powerful practical car there is not much else to choose from really.. which makes it damn lucky that the Eagon is such a lovely car... only driven a 4-door for a short distance and didn't notice any different...

Surely the less weight of the 4door over the wheels is made up for with the down force from the spoiler?
So my next question would be:

Whats the performance figures for both wagon and saloon. Will it beat my MR2 Turbo in a straight line drag, as in the twisties I know my 2 will definetly loose!

How do they stand upto the likes of skylines and EVOs?
Old 01 February 2002, 11:36 PM
flak
Scooby Newbie

MR2 is slow! pre 2000 in the GT bar manages 0-60 in 7.2 & 135mph which is far slower than scoob & post 2000 is even slower with 0-60 of 7.9 with 130mph pah!
Hmmmmm you scooby drivers better watch out if this is the impression of the MR2. In turbo form you are looking at 240/5 BHP and 5.5 (approx) to 60 and 1/4 mile in 13 (approx) and a top end of 150'ish.

Dont under estimate the 2 in a straight line, it will surprise you if you are aware!

So back to the original question whats the specs for the wagon and the saloon, for both UK and JAP (WRX) forms?

Anyone know?
Old 02 February 2002, 12:02 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Had a 92 MR2 T-Bar Turbo before the Scoobies...

The earlier turbos ran 200bhp standard and it kept up with my mates Impreza (MY97 4door) on acceleration and could handle as well as he could drive it as well.. down to driver the handling though... I then upped the boost and was running about 250bhp and I could over take the impreza...

After 93 the MR2 Turbo had the higher output engine (235bhp) and bigger brakes and different rear lights... nice cars.. less forgiving handling and only two seats, but I loved it.. but hey I needed the space so bought a Scooby...
Old 02 February 2002, 09:20 AM
NBW
Scooby Regular

The wagon is ideal for carrying mountain bikes. With the front wheel removed, they can be stood up in the back, which is something you can't do in even much bigger estates (sorry, wagons), like a Saab 9-5!

Secure the bikes by straps to the loops on the wheel arches that the seat hooks to when upright, and put something under the forks to protect the seat back. This means they take up very little floor space, and all the other gubbins can be packed around.

As for the handling, many people say the wagon is not as good as the saloon due to the monocoque being less rigid at the back. However someone 'in the know' has commented to me that both body styles are pretty close if the suspension geometry is well set up.

Final bonus is the wagon is relatively discrete, not a bad thing in these days of car-jacking horror stories.

Wagon is about 35KG heavier though - but that just means you have to do a couple of mods to get the power/weight ratio back up!

Cheers
Tim
MY 00 wagon

[Edited by NBW - 2/2/2002 9:21:52 AM]
Old 02 February 2002, 10:49 AM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a wagon (MY97) for nearly 4 years and had modded to improve brking and handling - Alcons/17's/Leda b/S02's/SS BB
Engine department was kept standard as I wasn't convinced of the longevity of the various options for ECU tweaks. On drives with other cars that had more power than mine it was never a problem keeping up, in fact the reverse on many occasions (This was on quite B roads by the way). We'd embarrased many an STI etc that had potentially 60bhp more. My opinion is too many people get obsessed with BHP !
Well, last May I changed to A P1 and had all the kit swapped as well so I think I can give a good comparison of the two shells. The P1 handles differently in that it keeps the rear planted better on lift off. I think ultimatley my old car was slightly quicker because it could put all it's power down. That I suspect is down to the P1 now running on P-Zeros not my old S02's. Steering on my wagon was slightly better but again could be tyres or MY ? We are talking small amounts here.
All in all though, the P1 IMHO handles better.

Cheers

Steve.
Old 02 February 2002, 11:32 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

& on the MR2 front i was talking UK cars kuz if yer talking imports then the STi & WRX also have better stats init. lol.
Anyway in standard UK2000 guise the figures are 208bhp with 144mph top speed & 0-60 in 6.4 Which many agree is very ungenerous & easy beeten with the merest of mods
All this stuff is on SIDC faq :
http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm
Besides i still think while their mightb slight performance changes between the 4 & 5 door surely it's a scoob 4 gods sake aint much in it it's more & style & need thing surely?
Si

[Edited by scooby_si - 2/2/2002 11:32:36 AM]
Old 02 February 2002, 03:15 PM
scoobypig
Scooby Regular

Tried a 5dr '02WRX recently for the weekend. Loved the Q car looks and wanted to find excuse to buy one as the rear seats fold flat
and it seemed more versatile.
However, the boot is v narrow and it definately didn't handle as well as my 01WRX. Only noticable at 9/10 but it understeered noticably more.
It costs £500 more new and has poorer residuals.
Despite having a family I've chosen another 4dr.
I agree the wagon was the one to have in the old shape but not the new one.
Old 02 February 2002, 05:33 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

So Puff, got any pics/costs of the rear strut brace? Does it restrict your use of the boot/split seats?

When you say it stiffens things up, does that mean more of a tendency to break away at the back on the limit rather than absorbing the forces into the body/suspension flex?

I love my wagon. Just thought I'd throw that in.

r
Old 04 February 2002, 09:56 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers for the Mountain bike carrying tip NBW...

I shall stop using the bike rack when there is only me in the car
Old 04 February 2002, 10:20 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

I love my Wagon too

And if you do find yourself suffering with spoiler envy there are always the spoilers from the Sti Wagon to redress the balance a bit!

I've driven a MY97 4dr back to back with my MY98 wagon and found very little difference. There is a lot more road noise in the Wagon due to the boot being part of the cabin but a small price to bay IMO.

Cheers

Robin
Old 04 February 2002, 10:44 AM
flak
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Alright then I think that its going to be a stlye and personal taste thing, as from the outset there isnt much in the saloons or wagons?

I'll try and find a scooby place near me and take both out for a drive.

Thanks for the advice and opinions guys...look forward to getting my mits on a scooby.
Old 04 February 2002, 07:52 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Jolly Green Monster 2,

No probs, hope my explanation was OK, shall post a picture next time I have bikes(s) on board.

Much better than a rack, you can really throw the car around and the bikes stay put

Cheers
Tim

Old 05 February 2002, 11:26 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

NBW,

Usually there is three of us in the car so the rack is required...
but just lately it is most likely to be just me and a bike so the idea was perfect timing and your description enough to get the idea.. I have layed the bike down before but it rolls around the cabin, scratching everything.

I still throw the car around with the rack on.... unless my trailer is attached too... once the trailer starts sliding you know you are going to fast and it is time to slow down

Thanks again

JGM