Sponsored by:

selling cars on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2008, 04:09 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default selling cars on ebay

im interested to know peoples opinions on this as im considering putting my scoob on there with either a £1000 starting price (no reserve), or a buy it now £3000 price.

id have thought being on ebay it would have more scope than other car related forums etc. obviously i understand there are scammers/arseholes out there, so would generally accept only cash on collection and a deposit etc.

any advice/tips etc? also what sort of price would it cost for say a buy it now £3000 or a similar price via a no reserve auction?

help greatly appreciated

andy
Old 11 June 2008, 04:41 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

Hello mate... personally now, i wouldnt put an impreza on ebay...ebay is generally used to get stuff cheaper than elsewhere...plus with the petrol prices and that rising, none are really selling on there recently for what sellers want anyway. if u put a buy it now of three grand on it...then ebay will charge you alot, im not sure how much it would be on 3grand, but when i sold my golf for 2grand the fee was over a hundred quid, which can only really b payed for via paypal or debit card. if u DO put it on ebay, make a rule at the bottom of ur advert pretty much saying this

"Now for the rules, I do apologise as there are alot of genuine ebayers out there, however there are some timewasters which spoil it for the rest of us so I feel obliged to do this- a £200 deposit ((or u decide how much)) MUST without fail be payed to me, via paypal, within 42 hours of the end of auction, this is to ensure that you are genuine. this will not be discussed, a deposit of cash in person is always welcome, aslong as it is within 42hours of auction ending. anyone failing to do so will be reported to ebay and the car will be relisted. Anyone with less than 10 feedback MUST give me a landline number for their adress so i can verify you are genuine, sorry for the rules but it must be done for honest ebayers"

you dont have to really word it as harsh as that, lol. but saying that makes sure only genuine people can really bid on it. plus if u list, choose the option to be paid by paypal, and also check the option that ONLY lets people with verified paypal accounts and addresses may bid...this means someone just joining to mess about or someone not genuine at all will NOT be able to bid.

just remember the fees of it, and dont let anyone overseas bid on it, so state that too, say ur car wont be shipped outside of britain so dont bother asking. dont say anywhere on the advert that ull part exchange, as ebay will take it off and make u relist, jus slyly somewhere say "NO part exchanges or swaps " as this is allowed and doesnt infringe on their law, so pretty much cant do anything to u!

anything to do with ebay ill know most answers, lol

Ash
Old 11 June 2008, 04:56 PM
SubaRufus
Scooby Newbie

I was looking for my wagon for 6-8 weeks and looked on eBay every day. It seemed that a high % of cars did not sell and were readvertised a week or so later.

Of the ones that went, they seemed to be the low reserve motors and they did not move significantly until the last few hours/minutes!

Myself, I had made offers that were low but this was due to not having the opportunity to inspect.

Good luck
Old 11 June 2008, 05:18 PM
Baby Scuff
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Selling a car, not a scooby but another performance one on there at the mo.

Lots of 'watchers'
someone with negative feedback bid on the item so this was removed.
someone with no feedback bid up to the reserve (still waiting for a response)
people offering to swap for their rubbish cars
people offering low 'cash' offers -not the worse thing in the world.

Have pretty much given up with the listing and it will be in this weeks autotrader now.

Previous car I sold on ebay, the buyer contacted me a week later stating he thinks the car is worth less then he paid for it and can he have the difference back, the price was the result of a last min 'bidding war'...... idiot
Old 11 June 2008, 05:25 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Baby Scuff
Selling a car, not a scooby but another performance one on there at the mo.

Lots of 'watchers'
someone with negative feedback bid on the item so this was removed.
someone with no feedback bid up to the reserve (still waiting for a response)
people offering to swap for their rubbish cars
people offering low 'cash' offers -not the worse thing in the world.

Have pretty much given up with the listing and it will be in this weeks autotrader now.

Previous car I sold on ebay, the buyer contacted me a week later stating he thinks the car is worth less then he paid for it and can he have the difference back, the price was the result of a last min 'bidding war'...... idiot
what sort of fees would you expect me to pay?
Old 11 June 2008, 07:55 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Whatever happens, you wont get £3k for it on ebay.
Old 11 June 2008, 08:50 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

I sold my last car on ebay. Took a while about 5 weeks and got next to nothing for it, but had no choice.
I did get a few messers and stupid offers as well.

what you want to do is stick it up as £2995 buy it now or best offer.
stick your phone number on the listing.
Just treat it as an advert and dont complete the transaction on ebay. (god knows what the final selling fee would be!)
you will get stupid offers but eventually you might get something that you;ll accept.
your going to have to brace yourself for alot of timewasters on the way , good luck with it.

Trending Topics

Old 11 June 2008, 08:56 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

I've sold quite a few cars on ebay and had no problems at all !

Sold my E36 M3 for £6k a couple of years ago and the charges weren't too bad,something like £50 or so !
Old 12 June 2008, 01:53 AM
tommihayes
Scooby Regular

I would agree with the deposit thing, people don't realise how much it costs and I'm sure put in bids just in case, with sometimes no intention of paying. Also, within selling cars in general but especially on eBay, its good for the buyer but terrible for the seller. As i found out (to my joy) with a T plate classic saloon turbo 2000. 80k, FSH £2900. However I would also hold out for a reasonable price, because somebody will come along, as i found out selling an MGZR replica, W plate, 72k Couple of faults, managed to get £1900.
Hope this is some help.
Tom
Old 12 June 2008, 05:50 AM
b8ste
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
im interested to know peoples opinions on this as im considering putting my scoob on there with either a £1000 starting price (no reserve), or a buy it now £3000 price.

id have thought being on ebay it would have more scope than other car related forums etc. obviously i understand there are scammers/arseholes out there, so would generally accept only cash on collection and a deposit etc.

any advice/tips etc? also what sort of price would it cost for say a buy it now £3000 or a similar price via a no reserve auction?

help greatly appreciated

andy
im sure somebody will put a bid for a grand then if you get no more bids you are going to be well out of pocket
Old 12 June 2008, 09:30 AM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

like what the guy said about treating ebay as an advert...thats a god idea
Old 12 June 2008, 09:46 AM
zip929
Scooby Regular

I recently sold my scooby.

I had it on Ebay twice with no result, a lot of watchers but no serious bids.

Put it on Autotrader and the phone never stopped. Sold through Autotrader within a week.
Old 12 June 2008, 09:58 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

EBay is a good place to get a bargain on an Impreza that’s where mine came from and it was an absolute steal
But I wouldn't want to sell one on there, when I was looking in Jan/Feb would say ones like yours where struggling to fetch 2k-2.5k
Some people bid them up themselves to make them look like they go for much more but they always appear back on in a week or so saying they have been messed about and it’s back up for sale

You will get more for it private if you can find a buyer.
There must be somebody on here that wants one
Old 12 June 2008, 12:25 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mifo
what you want to do is stick it up as £2995 buy it now or best offer.
stick your phone number on the listing.
Just treat it as an advert and dont complete the transaction on ebay. (god knows what the final selling fee would be!)
you will get stupid offers but eventually you might get something that you;ll accept.
your going to have to brace yourself for alot of timewasters on the way , good luck with it.
What he said

Treat it as an advert, I'd never bid on a car I hadn't seen in the flesh. I've sold and bought cars on ebay. I'd always contact the seller and ask to see the car and then sort out a deal if it was as described
Old 12 June 2008, 12:25 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rbaz
EBay is a good place to get a bargain on an Impreza that’s where mine came from and it was an absolute steal
But I wouldn't want to sell one on there, when I was looking in Jan/Feb would say ones like yours where struggling to fetch 2k-2.5k
Some people bid them up themselves to make them look like they go for much more but they always appear back on in a week or so saying they have been messed about and it’s back up for sale

You will get more for it private if you can find a buyer.
There must be somebody on here that wants one
ive pm'ed a couple of people. unfortunatley one thought it was too many miles and another didnt have the budget/money available.

i havd one offer off a scoobynetter that was insulting, and ive pmed another recently. one guy on pistonheads has just sent me an email offering me a swap with this... Volkswagen : SWOP VR6 FOR SOMTHING INTERESTING

definatley different, but i am kinda looking for a cheaper car so ive got £1500-2000 to use for bills to keep my head above water for a couple months.
Old 12 June 2008, 12:27 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

VR6 lumps are almost as thirsty as scoobs
Old 12 June 2008, 12:30 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris singleton
VR6 lumps are almost as thirsty as scoobs
yeah then ive got insurance, petrol tax etc etc to worry about. hence why i started threads in "other marques" asking what fun, cheapish to run car could be picked up around £1000-1500. then another one asking what the vr6 golfs are like.

thing is hes interested in a swop so i could probably haggle £1k cash from him in a sale. claims its 266bhp, had lots of engine work done etc and lowish miles 95,000.
Old 12 June 2008, 12:41 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

I've only ever done it once and it worked. This was a £14k 4x4 that was just over two years old and was perfect, but as I opted for a company car, we had no need.

Looked at what p/x price would give via Glass' to get an idea, then wrote a decent advert with lots of information. Information is power - and that's what makes ebay stand out. You can write a lot about the car and the more information you put down, the less chance there is for questions or for people to be sceptical.

I took a load of photos, hosted them via a free service and used this *then you are not paying ebay photo fees). Again, I took photo's of a clean car on a wet day - that way, you don't have to leather it off and it still looks gleaming given the reflection. Took a picture inside from different viewpoints, and one of every angle outside to show the full car.

Wrote down details on services, use of the car, all the options or key points that it had, as do not expect everyone to have done research on the car, so sell the merits.

I knew I wanted to get more than 12.5k but did not put a reserve on it as it puts up prices and people are more inclined to keep bidding if you start lower - so a starting point of £10k was good as it was cheap if no-one else bidded.

Made the advert bold as well - helped it stand out. Had a last minute bidding war (quite excited watching it unfold) with the result it sold for £13,001 which I was very happy with.

I asked for a deposit of £300+ within 24 hours and ensured I sent an invoice off as soon as the auctioned had ended. Most people will be good - and actually I would say higher value cars are less prone to be scammed or the like - it is a lot easier for people to bid on a £2k car with wishful ideas. Their less likely on a 10k car - IMO anyway.

I think it most cases it is how you sell it - write like it's meant to be read, and you have a greater chance of connecting with the reader. Put a few stupid things like 'genuine reason for sale' or 'never let me down' and people will start to question. Basically make your car different in some way...

Andy
Old 12 June 2008, 08:54 PM
colsand
Scooby Regular

The current fees for listing cars or bikes on ebay are-

Normal auction £8.00 ( Think thats for any starting price )
If you want to add a reserve on the normal auction it is an extra £4.00.

Buy it now only auction £8.00

Suppose that means the dearest option would be low start price with a reserve and buy it now price as well.

If your car sells through ebay then there is a final value fee as well. Up to £2000 it is a flat £20 fee. Anything above £2000 up to £3500 and it is 1 percent of the price. Anything above £3500 and its a flat £35.

Guess that means if you put it on a buy it now listing at £3000 and it sells it'll cost you £38 all in. Your other one starting at £1000 with a reserve would be £42 if it went to £3000.

I dont know if you have them where you are in the country but I have bought and sold a lot of stuff in the Adtrader yellow paper. I've always had a lot of responses from it. It used to be free to advertise cars but I think they charge £7 now. That gets you in 2 editions of the paper and on their website.
Old 12 June 2008, 10:36 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Good thread.

Im thinking of selling mine in august (company car on the way) and was going to post a similar question nearer the time.

Im now thinking auto trader, just to cut the hassle and get the car sold without too much worry.

I hope it goes well for you Choccy, give us an update on your progress.

Its a sad time deciding to sell......no fun at all....
Old 12 June 2008, 10:45 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryo
Good thread.

Im thinking of selling mine in august (company car on the way) and was going to post a similar question nearer the time.

Im now thinking auto trader, just to cut the hassle and get the car sold without too much worry.

I hope it goes well for you Choccy, give us an update on your progress.

Its a sad time deciding to sell......no fun at all....

worst thing is being forced into selling the scoob. i had/have never had any intentions of selling it since i bought her. i believed i would be the last owner to be honest and drive her till she was no more or died on me due to old age.

but needs must. admittedly since lowering my price on here and pistonheads to £3000 ive had more stupid offers and interest from time wasters, so hopefully im closer to a genuine deal. got it up for £3250 in my windows.